Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
yaw damper light (Read 6077 times)
PeterRabbit

yaw damper light
Oct 5th, 2012 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
i can not get the yaw damper light off.  i have recycled it with the on/off switch.  have turned off the electrics to recycle it (as one does in the 737) and it still remains illuminated.

i thought perhaps there was a patch and re-downloaded the program from captain sim and still it remains.

i see that it was apparently addressed by two earlier patches (5 and 9) but i do have an issue with it. it appears to be off in how the aircraft handles.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: yaw damper light
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Not even after you take off? My Yaw Damper lights goes off once I have taken off. But until then, it remains on.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

N966CH

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I have this issue as well as many others.
WHY does it remain on? In the real aircraft it extinguishes when the switch is turned on. Is it that hard to code it to work correctly?
JCH

IP Logged

Mike67

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I would surmise that the yaw damper is cut out on the ground to keep it from over reacting to rudder inputs. Once weight is off the gear, it is activated if the switch was ON.

Yaw dampers are strange things. I flew the good ole' Grumman F9F-8 Cougar, the first USN jet to have them (2 - for redundancy). She really needed them in the landing pattern!

One of the taxi checks before takeoff was to momentarily turn them on, kick the rudder pedals and see if the dampers kicked back at you - (they should). You then turned them off for the rest of taxiing and takeoff. Otherwise, they would go crazy with trying to taxiing or take off using any rudder or differential braking.

Many early tactical military jets did not have nose wheel steering and used differential braking until the rudder became effective.

This is a guess, but I think I am on the right track

Hook Down&&Gear Down&&Flaps Down

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Mike, you have a point. But the light isn't there to tell if the yaw damper is actually working (in the means of moving something) but to inform about the status of the yaw damper system. By this, the light shows that the yaw damper system is off. When the switch is set to on and stays there (solenoid held), the system is on and has hydraulic pressure (system B) available. The light is off in that case. So the switch and light on case can't actually happen.

The handling of the actual yaw damper induced rudder input may indeed be managed by some logics and could incorporate the weight on wheels sensing as well as the radar altimeter. Well, it is limited when it comes to the actual rudder deflection it can achieve regardless of that. 2 degrees is the maximum on the -100 and -200.

IP Logged

Mike67

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I based my guess on the fact that after trying a couple of things on my installation, I found this:

1. On the ground, YD switch on, light on
2. Leaving the YD switch on, after takeoff, the light goes out.
3. airborne, cycling the switch on and off causes the light to cycle with switch position

Hook Down&&Gear Down&&Flaps Down

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Your observation is correct when it comes to the current sim plane. I was writing the stuff down from the FCOM to point out the differences to the rw setup.

I guess a small fix for the light is in order since the good sim pilot will always think that something is wrong with the light on. The 737 dark panel philosophy isn't that clear (think about the window heat for example) but the YD light should be off before takeoff.

IP Logged

Kalo

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
my Yaw damper light stays on until after take off

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top