Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Ok, here's what happened (Read 6710 times)
CoolP

Ok, here's what happened
Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:04am
Print Post  
So I've started FSX and was looking for a nice airport to start at while I've noticed that the interface sounds were missing. You know, that 'click'. I've restarted FSX. No change.

Started my MP3 player and I saw that music was playing, but I didn't hear a thing. Rebooted the system. No change.

Fired up the sound config of my fancy card and looked for all settings. They looked normal, but when testing the speakers, no sound came up. Uninstalled the drivers, fresh install, new setup, still no sound. Tried some more reboots.

Then I've turned my speakers on.  Embarrassed  Sad Undecided Grin

Feel free to throw funny names at me now. I'm obviously a complete idiot when it comes to PCs.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Ok, here's what happened
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 6:00am
Print Post  
You're not the only one to do that sort of thing. That reminds me of a time when I was young (about 17 or 18).

I got out my electric guitar, plugged it into the amplifier, turned everything on and strummed the guitar. All I heard was the quiet sound of the chord I had just played! Not a sound from my amp. So I twiddled some knobs on both the guitar and the amp. Still no sounds coming from the amp. So now that I know that my amp has a problem and I start looking for it. I reached over the back, I touched the back of where the AC lead was plugged in. Well holy sh**! What a buzz. I had just zapped myself with 240 volts! But that wasn't good enough, my amp still wasn't working. So I reached over the back and touched it again. Whoa! Another 240 volt zap! Still my poor old amp refused to work and...yep...I reached over the back a third time and and touched it AGAIN (some people never learn do they)! Well I had had enough of the shocks so I went to put my guitar and amp away, when I noticed the volume knob on the guitar was at zero! It was the one knob that I had not touched. So I turned it up to ten and near blew my eardrums out! She was working fine.

But I'm telling you now, that was one shocking experience that I am not in a hurry to try again.

This is me "jamming" in the garage (around '76 or '77). I'm the one in the black singlet, playing the bass guitar
Sorry about the poor quality

Too bad you can't see my amplifier in that pic. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Hahaha, very good, three times in contact with the local power supplier.  Grin By the way, that band history once again shows that you is a cool fellow, Mark.  Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:15am
Print Post  
The worst part of it is that I was the lead singer as well! The other guys in the band refused to do any singing other than backing vocals, so I got the job of lead singer. I only found out years later (last year in fact), that because I could play and sing at the same time and none of the others could. Shocked

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Grin I used to boil water for tea.  It took a looooong time until i noticed that i forgot to light up the gas   Roll Eyes

I watched the vid from this guys. http://www.aopa.org/
Some sort of seminar. One topic was radio setup, and the guy said that very often pilots forgetting to check jacks, volumes both on headphones and radio itself, or trying to "fix" no sound problem with jack plugging - unplugging while the problem is - volume on headphones Smiley

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:15am:
The worst part of it is that I was the lead singer as well! The other guys in the band refused to do any singing other than backing vocals, so I got the job of lead singer. I only found out years later (last year in fact), that because I could play and sing at the same time and none of the others could. Shocked

Shocked Playing bass and sing much harder then playing guitar and sing!!! Thats for sure. RESPECT!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Scientific studies show that the lady attraction rate is greatest at the lead singer, then the lead guitar. So with Mark combining both.. . Cool I'm off learning the guitar now. Don't tell my gf.

On the action with the plans on boiling water and forgetting to actually switch that thing on,  that's a regular at my place.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
How about that?

Grin

34140.png (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Haha, well, you should add the flight sim hobby on the sex appeal scale. While people may expect low numbers with that one, I'd even say it receives negative values.  Shocked And that's regardless of any skill.  Undecided

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Yep, thats true. Im a pro sax player, and i have flight sim hobby. Thats how im getting zero sex appeal values Shocked But, at least im hot hitting negative ones  Grin

But similar rw aviation graph will show Concorde pilots on top regardless of any skill, and Cessna pilots at the bottom  Wink

Fighter pilots will be bellow Concorde, coz they young and foolish, and Amerijet 727 freighter pilots will be low, because of rumors that they dont have lavatory in their planes Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Nice summary.

Nice lady 'So you are a pilot. That's cool. What are you flying?'
Not so nice sim pilot 'Well, I can fly pretty much anything that sim menu offers. Wait! Why run away?!!! I'll pay the drinks!'   Darn, it's always the same. Huh

But sax players are cool. Not? Well, no Concorde pilots, but.. cool. If I could play the saxophone, my girlfriend would at least think that I can do something.  Grin Don't worry, I've got two 'backup' hobbies running, so I'm at least trying to compensate for the sim's negative value.

Edited:
Ahhh, now I've got your sentence. See? Playing the saxophone does compensate for the sim's negative input. You are overmodest on your skill, Windy. Although there isn't a single instrument I could play and I think the sax is a hard one to learn and manage.

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Grin
BTW! There is a way to make flight sim hobby give zero, or, maybe even positive values!

You gotta buy real 727 nose section, and transform it into a sim. - thats for zero results, some girls likes lots of switches Smiley Im afraid of that kind of girls  Shocked

If you buy entire 727, transform nose into a sim, and passenger cabin into a super-luxury room - that could give a positive values Smiley

Just dont tell her how much it costs  Smiley

P.S. Its hard to do with a concorde nose section,....its too loooong  Smiley

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Size matters?  Shocked Huh

My new house. Good ventilation!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Hey Windy.

I had a new girlfriend every other week because I got tired of fighting them off. So I dated them instead. Cheesy
The ladies here in Aussie were uneducated, back then, they didn't know that the bass guitarist didn't have much sex appeal.Tongue

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
We flight sim hobbyists will finally get the respect we deserve after we land a plane and save everybody in it after the pilots become incapcitated!  Grin

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top