Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Trying to Understand The Fuel System (Read 6128 times)
Hero540

Trying to Understand The Fuel System
Jun 13th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Sorry to be spamming the forums with topics all the time...but I've hit a new snag with the 737-200F.

Basically I keep running out of fuel about 10 minutes out from my destination, with fuel still in the center tank. During most of my hour or two flights, I believe I am running fuel from the wing tanks. I get the low fuel pressure warning lights on the overhead, but I just don't know how to switch to fuel in the remaining tank to keep me powered and not performing an off airport landing in a commercial jet... Shocked

I have downloaded the second part of the 737 manual and have scoured the fuel section several times, but either I'm dumb or they don't go into depth about switching tanks.

Thanks in advance to the more experienced captains that can help me with this one!

IP Logged

Eric.M

Re: Trying to Understand The Fuel System
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
they should work just as the NG does for the most part.switch on all pumps fill The center tank first then the wing tanks, start your flight once the center tank runs out and the pressure lights come on switch the center pumps off then the fuel should automatically pull fuel equally from each wing tank.

IP Logged

Hero540

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Thanks Eric!

I wasn't filling all the tanks, I guess. I've never flown any of the major and realistic add-ons, just the FSX default, so I'm not used to this kind of management.

I'll go ahead and try your suggestion and see what happens! Thanks!  Grin

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:37am
Print Post  
When fuel planning, wing tanks are filled first, then add remaining fuel to center tank.
If fuel is added to the center tank then turn on all fuel pumps and the system will run on fuel from the center tank.

If the center tank is below 2500 lbs I will leave the center fuel pumps off for takeoff and wait until climb or cruise to empty that tank and then switch to wing tanks, instead of worrying about that during a busy departure.

Also, not necessary in FS but some airlines' standard procedure when switching to wing tanks is to open the cross feed valve, turn off center fuel pumps, then return the valve to the closed position.

This is a very accurate and easy to use pre-flight fuel planning utility I've been using for years with all my 737 addons:
http://www.volny.cz/fs2002/B737FPL/B737FPL.htm

screenshot
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/bud7h7/misc%20stuff/B737FPL.jpg

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

Hero540

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Thank you Bud for that wealth of knowledge there, and that tool!

I'll definitely give that one a shot as well. Apparently my problem was not turning on the center tank fuel pumps. So when I had run out of fuel on two separate occasions on arrival it was because my wing tanks had run themselves dry on cruise and descent, thus forcing myself to crash land with a nearly full center tank.

That is what us bush pilots call: EMBARASSING!

I'll get used to flying something other than a Cessna someday. Lawl.  Cool

IP Logged

HarryW

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:27am
Print Post  
I just took my first flight in the 737 and the fuel system has me stumped. I started by running off the center tank. It ran down to 5% and I got warning that I was low on fuel. The aux tanks still had 76% which was the initial fuel amount. I tried turning center fuel pumps off and cross feed but could not get fuel to run ffrom the aux tanks. What did I miss or do wrong.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
HarryW wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:27am:
I just took my first flight in the 737 and the fuel system has me stumped. I started by running off the center tank. It ran down to 5% and I got warning that I was low on fuel. The aux tanks still had 76% which was the initial fuel amount. I tried turning center fuel pumps off and cross feed but could not get fuel to run ffrom the aux tanks. What did I miss or do wrong.

The way the fuel operates from the tanks, might be pre determined by the aircraft you used before the 737.

Load the default C172, switch the tank selector switch to ALL, then load the 737. The fuel should then automatically be used from the centre tank first, then from the wing tanks. When the Wing Tanks are in use, I like to have the CROSS FEED Switch open too. It should work fine regardless of whether the CROSS FEED switch is open or closed.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top