Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What is Pause at top of descent? (Read 13149 times)
Jared_Maurtua

What is Pause at top of descent?
May 20th, 2012 at 3:02am
Print Post  
What is PTD and what does it do? Huh

&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: What is Pause at top of descent?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Jared_Maurtua wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 3:02am:
What is PTD and what does it do? Huh
It allows you to leave your flightin progress (like if you need to go to bed), and when you come back, the Flight Simulator is paused (often 10-20nm before the TOD) and allowing you to prepare and continue the rest of your flight. Captain Sim don't have this feature on any of their aircraft for FSX (I don't know about their FS9 aircraft as I never bought any), but many have asked for it.

Hope that helps explain it.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:39am
Print Post  
That's actually a secret feature which was planned for the upcoming SP3 of FSX. It should include 'pause at bad approach', 'beer at cruise' and an automated response to 'wife says dinner is ready' too. Seems like they had something big in mind. There are rumours that some of those features are used in rw flying too, but you didn't hear that from me, ok?  Shocked

IP Logged

windycityflyer

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
CoolP:

Your points, of course, are well-taken... Grin...

In my experience, even though I press the attendant button (of the most sophisticated voice-activated multi-crew experience expansion packs available these days), no dinner materializes from the galley (although voice-confirmed promises are made).

In fact, your 3rd possibility overrides... Wink...

More seriously, I did look for a PTD utility once when I forgot to pause my (LNAV+VNAV) active long-haul flight (on my arm-chair, mind you). When I returned a couple of hours later, the (gear-less) aircraft was found stuck to the ground in the vicinity of the DEST airport. I can only imagine the last few minutes(?) of the flight while the plane gallantly must have tried to follow the FMC instructions to reach its intended STAR and ILS RWY!

BTW, some like-minded virtual flyer had created an utility (aptly called "iwillbeback.zip") on avsim:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=24428&Name=&FileName=&Author=&CatID=ro...

However, this being dated back to 2002 (and for FS2002), I've not tried it....

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Good catch on the tools at Avsim. There's another one, but I haven't tested it. http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=BeThere!&CatID=root&Go=Search
Quote:
This package contains the BeThere! gauge. It lets you pause the flight simulator once the aircraft reaches a certain position. This is useful for long range flights where the pilot wants to leave the flight sim unattended.

Quote:
In my experience, even though I press the attendant button (of the most sophisticated voice-activated multi-crew experience expansion packs available these days), no dinner materializes from the galley (although voice-confirmed promises are made).

Looks like a limitation of FSX to me.  Grin Lets keep an eye on that one.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
windycityflyer, pressing the flight attendant button in the real aircraft produced the same results.  Shocked

Often times, my wife brings me a "crew meal" consisting of healthy stuff like fruit or the like. One time I even got a dish of ice cream!  Cool

My PWB (pause whenever button) always works with all aircraft and situations, even Captain Sim planes!  Tongue

In the past one of the real flights I flew was New York to Cairo or Tel Aviv which is a long flight in any plane.

One evening, just a short while ago, I fired-up FSX, and loaded the flight plan in the FMS and took off for Cairo. At TOC in made sure all the systems were looking good. I left the computer running and the plane on autopilot and went to bed. Next morning I checked the progress. All was OK! I had breakfast, and sat down just about TOD and finished the long exhausting flight!  Grin

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Nice keyboard, Lou. Seems like our FSX rigs look the same.  Cheesy http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/droolicious/2009/03/FisherPriceLaptop.jpeg

IP Logged

windycityflyer

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing this incidence/experience, Lou.

Surely, gives us wannabes the proper perspective... (in spite of all the realism we can muster)...Smiley....

[CoolP: Will give the FSX Gauge a try one of these days...Thanks.]

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2012 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
windycityflyer wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 12:27pm:
CoolP:

Your points, of course, are well-taken... Grin...

In fact, your 3rd possibility overrides... Wink...

More seriously, I did look for a PTD utility once when I forgot to pause my (LNAV+VNAV) active long-haul flight (on my arm-chair, mind you). When I returned a couple of hours later, the (gear-less) aircraft was found stuck to the ground in the vicinity of the DEST airport. I can only imagine the last few minutes(?) of the flight while the plane gallantly must have tried to follow the FMC instructions to reach its intended STAR and ILS RWY!

BTW, some like-minded virtual flyer had created an utility (aptly called "iwillbeback.zip") on avsim:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=24428&Name=&FileName=&Author=&CatID=ro...

However, this being dated back to 2002 (and for FS2002), I've not tried it....

I have used a gauge called BeThere! that works as promised (FS9 & FSX):

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=bethere.zip&CatID=root

The only piece of info you need is longitude & latitude for input into the gauge as a reference.
Then you input the off-set distance from your reference and then arm it.

The easiest lat & long to use would be your destination airport and then off-set maybe 150 nm or so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top