Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Odd Flightplans... (Read 2699 times)
boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Odd Flightplans...
Dec 18th, 2011 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I've tried inputting about three or four different STAR's and approaches (I'm using the Aivlasoft EFB, as CoolP recommended), but each one seems to look something like this:

(Note the highlighted part of the route)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, obviously you're not supposed to take a sharp turn like that, and I've tried a ton of arrival/approach combinations to no avail. So what is the proper procedure here?

Thanks,
boeing247

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Re: Odd Flightplans...
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Boeing 247 without knowing what all the STARs and approaches are for this airport it is very difficult to say but if the routing is taking you to the LEMNZ  which would suggest the approach is the other runway not the ILS equipped runway. A dotted line is always the missed approach path! Seems the program is confused about what is what or ??

As a rule of thumb and what I call a logical check as well, all IFR procedures are predicated on a Rate 1 or maximum 25 degree angle of bank so if you have a turn that is either not a 30 or 45 degree intercept or a 40/280 degree reversal turn then you obviously are not meant to fly that path as you can't and remain within tolerances.

In this case I would suggest that the GRNPA 1 procedure is for the other runway and it may be there is not a STAR for the ILS runway or it is missing.

Other than that cannot help exept to go DCT to the FLYES fix from some other point on the GRNPA track

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
See, if I set the approach to RWY9, it's still messed up because the approach path starts further north than LEMNZ is. Additionally, I based this off of a real flight, and as you can see, there are some odd turns scheduled for the end...

realroute.JPG (Attachment deleted)

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Boeing I am only guessing here but the more northerly route suggests it is a non precision or visual route only not for IFR. Other than that cannot help withou looking at the charts in detail.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I looked up the approach chart for GRNPA1 and it said to expect radar vectors to final approach course. Though it still doesn't make much sense, seeing as you would have to fly further away from the airport to reach any approach course...

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I think the Program is correct with drawing the lines, but it connects them as if you would fly from LEMNZ (last wp of the arrival) directly to the FLYES (first wp of the approach) which won't happen in the rw as the stage in between is 'radar vectors'.

So if you are flying the default ATC or a less detailed ATC addon, you will mix up things there as nobody turns your plane in the right direction, although you are flying by the charts.
To keep it close to real, vector yourself after LEMNZ (do some funky stuff, as if it was a busy airport  Cheesy) or use online ATC, which will most likely have grabbed you way before LEMNZ to get you on e. g. the 25R.

The EFB program is very Navigraph dependant (that's the data supplier for a ton of addons). So if they miss to add the (vectors) text in the procedure description after LEMNZ, EFB doesn't show the hint on the vectors part, which would look like this. Note the 'pointers line'. That's the vectors to final segment, correctly described by Navigraph, so EFB can show it and give you a hint.

As a rule of thumb. When you don't see this hint but get sharp edged procedures in EFB, then expect that Navigraph has missed the part again and behave like in your KLAS example. Fly to the last waypoint of the STAR and vector yourself to the first waypoint of the approach.
Of course, you can do a shortcut in between, so e. g. head for the approach right after DUBLX, FROWG or GRNPA itself.

As you FMC planes will see the same edged procedures (they come from Navigraph too), the pilot interaction is needed either way. The EFB charts or the 'plan' view on your display then help to determine the right wp to maybe leave the arrival path and head for the approach one.

The vital point is to be prepared and plan ahead. So use the chart view soon enough when you have the weather and/or ATC info on the destination and don't just trust the LNAV to get it done.
Read this as a general reminder, not as one being pointed at your case directly, boeing247. EFB helps on the weather when you click the METAR screen. It then grabs the one from FSX or the commonly used weather addons.

As said, when flying with only ATC you will most likely receive the vectors to final that soon as they don't tend to let you fly around the globe when there's only little traffic.

boeing247 wrote on Dec 19th, 2011 at 12:33am:
I looked up the approach chart for GRNPA1 and it said to expect radar vectors to final approach course. Though it still doesn't make much sense, seeing as you would have to fly further away from the airport to reach any approach course...

This 'flying away' part isn't too uncommon. The sky is big, but your airport is limited on how much planes can land and takeoff within a certain amount of time. So if plenty of you arrive, some of you have to wait, while others may be taken to the final approach as soon as possible.

Not 100% on that topic, but nicely showing how the traffic lines up for the KMEM airport here. If there are delays or go-arounds, the line up gets mixed up, so ATC needs space to handle you folks.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6886880938991195179

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification. I just went from DUBLX to FLYES (I don't trust myself with heading select   Cool).

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Yes, sounds reasonable to pick that route. I only go round the field when the airport has something to look at. So I'm flying a huge traffic pattern in a way.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top