Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
SID and STAR problem (Read 9246 times)
boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

SID and STAR problem
Dec 4th, 2011 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
As I entered a SID and a STAR into my flight plan I encountered two different problems: On the SID, only the SID appeared without the flight plan (though it also added "VECTORS" as a leg, so was it just do to the fact that I was taking off from a relatively small airport?), and the STAR would not import--the last leg of the flight plan still showed as the last one I had input into the FMC. Do I need to select a Trans, and if so, how do I know which one to pick?

Thanks,
boeing247

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

wims

Re: SID and STAR problem
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Many SIDs are vectored departures, they dont have any waypoints, instead they have instructions on the departure chart. Usually they say something like "Fly heading XXX, climb to XXXXft, expect vectors to the first waypoint within xx minutes.". Its obviously critical that you read the chart for the exact instruction when you fly this departure. BTW, its critical for ANY departure / arrival / approach you fly. Always download and read the chart and make sure that you understand everything before you attempt to fly it. After you have entered it into your FMC doublecheck all the waypoints to make sure that they have been entered correctly, and that any altitude / speed constraints have been entered correctly as well. Unfortunately the navigraph navdata isnt very accurate, and often contains incorrect data. Very often.

As for your STAR issue, it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot if you told us your exact route and which STAR you are trying to insert

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Okay. I didn't think anything was wrong with the SID (because it is just one that requires vectoring), but I wanted to be sure in case I was missing something.

Anyway, I'm flying from Bangor Intl. in Maine to Chicago-O'Hare International. My my last manually-entered waypoint is PAITN, so I am of course  flying the PAITN TWO STAR.

And yes, I have looked downloaded, printed, and looked over all of the charts.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

theguz

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Delete the "vector" waypoint and add a latlong point.  Because "vector" is not a real point.  I would do that.

Bob&&757-200&&767-300&&757-300&&777-200&&http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/b757/752_users_banner.gif

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:52am
Print Post  
theguz wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 6:08am:
Delete the "vector" waypoint and add a latlong point.  Because "vector" is not a real point.  I would do that.

Yes, I know, but my real problem is that the STARs won't input.

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:15am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:52am:
theguz wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 6:08am:
Delete the "vector" waypoint and add a latlong point.  Because "vector" is not a real point.  I would do that.

Yes, I know, but my real problem is that the STARs won't input.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I have no problems adding SID, STAR and TRANS to my plan.

I'm sure you already knw this, but...
SID - Select the RWY then the SID.
STAR & TRANS - Select the RWY then the TRANS (if there is one), then the STAR and it's TRANS (if wanted/needed).

If this is a fault in the 757, then use the extended download service, get new links, download it again and install it. It's up to you if you uninstall before reinstalling or install using the repair option. Make sure you install it as an administrator (for Vista & Windows 7).

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:57am
Print Post  
I'll try it again, and also on the 767. Though TRANS are not necessary, no?

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Sometimes I use a TRANS that is listed under the selected STAR (left side of the CDU), other times I select the TRANS under the RWY (right side od the CDU), and sometimes I use both. But I always try to use a TRANS. If I don't use a TRANS, the flight plan doesn't show the end of the route at the runway or a holding point after the runway. It usually ends at the last waypoint of the STAR. This is not a big deal because if you are close to the ILS you can still capture it, although you might find that you will need to enter the ILS frequency and heading manually (RAD/NAV page of the CDU).

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Think of the transitions as a funnel-like segment to get all the planes on the actual STAR route being active. So no 'Monday we take this one, Tuesday the other one and at the weekends we fly direct' or something, but more or less a logical step concerning your route before the STAR. It won't be necessary all the time and it also won't be available at all airports.

The selection of the transition depends on your related position in regard to the desired STAR procedure.
Using the KORD arrival boeing247 was on, you could aim for PAITN where the actual STAR starts. Now when coming from the East, you may choose ASP as it offers a valid route to PAITN.

If ATC has cleared you for this, they know what you are doing in the lateral aspect of your route for the rest of your flight. That's vital as you may not have filed that segment, which can be long at some destinations.

Still the same STAR in mind, but coming from the North, you may choose TVC as it offers a northbound starting point for you.

Note the similar segment after PAITN for both directions.
As a matter of fact, all planes will later fit into the corridor the STAR describes, the transition segment just collects them. ATC then watches the separation, so not all of you will arrive at PAITN at the same time and/or altitude unless you are flying F-18 formations.  Cheesy

You will find your FMC being smart enough to 'connect the dots' if the desired route segments fits the current one. Otherwise it will give you a discontinuity and therefore ask for some more pilot input. Charts help or some programs do, as shown above.
If ATC clears you to a certain waypoint or even drops transitions, that's another beast. But your pilot made choice is based on that simple method. You look up the best fitting transition to get on the later procedure.

For SIDs, it's the other way through the funnel. All planes more or less depart in the same corridor and later transition to their planned enroute waypoints. The vectored segment then needs some interaction from ATC to turn you while keeping separation. So the 'uncommon' waypoint in the FMC is there for a reason as you will be in HDG select there and may later receive a direct-to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top