Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Increasing LOD Radius (Read 6656 times)
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Increasing LOD Radius
Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Hey, I'm having a problem increasing my LOD radius. It's currently set to 8.5, but while I'm getting high detail at close range, the radius itself is not very large. I'm getting pretty good frames, too, so there's no limitation there. I tried to see if I was perhaps setting the radius too high, but when I changed it to 7.5, it became--I believe--smaller than a LOD radius of 4.5, which is the max value which can be set using the slider. So why  has my LOD radius shrunk? By the way, I'm using FSBooster v2.

Thanks,
boeing247
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
gandy
Senior Member
*
Offline



Posts: 266
Location: Near EGHH
Joined: Mar 25th, 2011
Re: Increasing LOD Radius
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 7:17am
Print Post  
High LOD and a high anisotropic filtering work hand in hand and its almost pointless using a high lod with a low or default af setting.

Due to the way microsoft designed the texture loader it can be very slow catching when bring the textures in to focus and it can take a minute for them to catch up.

The highest lod you can use is 10 but here is an example of an 8.5 lod with a 30/40mi visibility setting, 16 AF and a x32 AA setting

http://images.ukcs.net/10412/2011-2-25_13-40-31-436.jpg

I dont use above 6.5 on the lod as there is no point i feel.
  

&&
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: Increasing LOD Radius
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure I have filtering set to anisotropic, but I'll check. Is there a setting in the fsx.cfg file for that, too?
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
gandy
Senior Member
*
Offline



Posts: 266
Location: Near EGHH
Joined: Mar 25th, 2011
Re: Increasing LOD Radius
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 7:10am
Print Post  
you need to disable the anisotropic filtering in fsx and set it on the graphics card, i know there is a new control app for ati cards which will allow you to create a profile for fsx and allow you to set it there.

The thing i cant remember is the name of the app but i will have a look for it later today unless someone else can remember what its called.
  

&&
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: Increasing LOD Radius
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Ah. I currently just have the anisotropic filtering set to "Use Application Setting" what setting should I put it at? Max (2x)?
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
gandy
Senior Member
*
Offline



Posts: 266
Location: Near EGHH
Joined: Mar 25th, 2011
Re: Increasing LOD Radius
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:37am
Print Post  
here is the app i was on about.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

When you create a profile for flight sim, set the app to x16 AF ( if your graphics card can not handle the high setting then lower it ) and set fsx to Trilinear in the options.
  

&&
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
 
  « Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top