Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
some questions to real 727 pilots :) and to all (Read 6606 times)
windplayer

some questions to real 727 pilots :) and to all
Oct 14th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
im flying CS 727-100, but have some questions about real 727

1. HSI on CS 727 shows only NAV1 data. Can you switch HSI on real 727 between NAV1, NAV2 ?

2. "recieving aircraft checklist" says that  autopilot should be disengaged, system A. Is that safer to switch it to system B after takeoff? How you used it?

3. landing checklist says "ignition.....flight". what's that? should i turn on continuous ignition? when to use it?

4. there is a red plackard in cockpit says - "yaw damper inop", and some speeds shown. does it mean that i should use rudder in turns if i fly faster then that speeds from plackard? What exactly yaw damper do in 727? (i got no rudder pedals yet, but ordered it already)

5. as i understand i should not use speedbrakes with flaps extended. am i right?

6. how to fly STAR using radio-navigation only? if i fly beacon1 and need to find intersection with beacon2 radial, i can tune beacon1 on nav1 and beacon2 on nav2, and fly nav1 on HSI, while watch nav2 on RMI. and when i see correct angle between nav1 and nav2 on RMI - thats the intersection right? or i can intercept beacon 1 radial, when tune beacon2 on NAV1, select required radial, and fly beacon1 radial using RMI? when HSI will show then i'll be on intersection. is there any simpler way? how you did that in real world?

7. how to land it smooth? I fly flaps 25, gear down, level, at 160kts at max land weight. when GS indicator comes alive i do flaps 30, retrim aircraft, and it'll start to decent at 700 ft/m or so without power adjustments? is that right? how you did that, and how you use the throttles on final? engines spooling up slow, so you gotta know how to use it Smiley

8. is there any tricks about flare? Lou once said that 727 kinda tricky to land Smiley (Lou stories thread) what about vspeed on touchdown? how bad can you go without damage?

9. where is TAT indicator located on real 727?

sorry if i go lame questions Smiley just digging into 727-100, love hand fly it Wink

P.S. GPWS switch near GPS, radar have only 2 states - off, override. how it should be inflight?

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re:  some questions to real 727 pilots :) and to all
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:09am
Print Post  
windplayer asks:
im flying CS 727-100, but have some questions about real 727

1. HSI on CS 727 shows only NAV1 data. Can you switch HSI on real 727 between NAV1, NAV2 ?

Well that depends on which operator bought the plane. The planes we had at TWA had the ability to switch the Captains HSI to feed the number two radio information into the display. Other airlines may not have bought that option.

2. "recieving aircraft checklist" says that  autopilot should be disengaged, system A. Is that safer to switch it to system B after takeoff? How you used it?

It does not matter which hydraulic system powers the elevator. We would use "A" going west, and "B" going east. Using the AB position was for a coupled approach in CAT-II. Remember this was not an autoland plane.

3. landing checklist says "ignition.....flight". what's that? should i turn on continuous ignition? when to use it?

There were two types of ignition on the 727. Low power and high power. The FLIGHT position was the high power or more joules selection.
FLIGHT position was only used when heavy rain or turbulence was encountered or for an in-flight start. The continuous position was for takeoff and landing and whenever you would do something that could un-stabilize the engine such as turning on the anti-ice or going on cross-feed.    

4. there is a red plackard in cockpit says - "yaw damper inop", and some speeds shown. does it mean that i should use rudder in turns if i fly faster then that speeds from plackard? What exactly yaw damper do in 727? (i got no rudder pedals yet, but ordered it already)

OK, the yaw dampers in a 727 are a big deal in real life. Remember, this is a very swept wing aircraft. The yaw dampers control dutch roll. The -100 was a nasty plane in dutch roll, the -200 was just a bit better, but is still was a bugger if the yaw dampers would fail. The long and the short of it is if one yaw damper were to fail, you go down and slow down - right now! At high speed and high altitude dutch roll is a big problem in the 727. The 707 is not as bad since the wing is not as swept. You could not be dispatched with a yaw damper inop in TWA in the 727, because if the other damper were to fail it could get interesting fast.

If you are at cruise, say FL330 doing .78 and a yaw damper were to fail you would reduce speed and start down ASAP. Slowing down made the dutch roll a bit less nasty and getting down out of the skinny air helped too. We would teach dutch roll recovery in the 727 very carefully because it was considered a hull loss if both dampers failed at high altitude and high speed. One of the ways to save yourself if faced with just such a situation at high altitude was to slowly deploy the spoilers. This would do two things to help. One, it would slow you down, and two, it would help to keep the plane straight by tending to bring the advancing wing back with spoiler drag. This was indeed not a place to find yourself in.

5. as i understand i should not use speedbrakes with flaps extended. am i right?

Correct statement! Too much drag and not enough wing!  Shocked

6. how to fly STAR using radio-navigation only? if i fly beacon1 and need to find intersection with beacon2 radial, i can tune beacon1 on nav1 and beacon2 on nav2, and fly nav1 on HSI, while watch nav2 on RMI. and when i see correct angle between nav1 and nav2 on RMI - thats the intersection right? or i can intercept beacon 1 radial, when tune beacon2 on NAV1, select required radial, and fly beacon1 radial using RMI? when HSI will show then i'll be on intersection. is there any simpler way? how you did that in real world?

You use both nav radios and do a lot of keeping an eye on the CDI's and DME's. RMI's are not close enough for most intercepts, but if you're careful it will give you a heads-up on where you are. What do you mean simpler way? This is real flying not that sissy glass stuff! Suck it up cupcake!  Grin

7. how to land it smooth? I fly flaps 25, gear down, level, at 160kts at max land weight. when GS indicator comes alive i do flaps 30, retrim aircraft, and it'll start to decent at 700 ft/m or so without power adjustments? is that right? how you did that, and how you use the throttles on final? engines spooling up slow, so you gotta know how to use it

Landing at max weight was not a problem as long as you fly the correct bug speed and manage the thrust. Engine spool-up is not a problem at mid thrust, only from idle - and it really is not that big a deal since the JT8D has surge bleed valves that get the engine spinning up pretty fast. The JT8D took a bit more throttle movement than say the 767 or 757 since the fan part of the engine was so much smaller. The big fan engines don't take much movement of the throttles to get a big thrust change.

How to land it smooth???  Grin Shocked  That is something a lot of pilots want to know!

Here is a hint. Don't get slow, and don't get a high sink rate. Don't close the throttles until the plane is either on the ground or one inch above!  If you are landing in a crosswind, you will be crabbing to a landing. Always flare first before you remove the crab and maybe ad some extra power as you do all of the above, since you are really cross controlling the plane and will be loosing lift in the process. Piece of cake!

8. is there any tricks about flare? Lou once said that 727 kinda tricky to land  (Lou stories thread) what about vspeed on touchdown? how bad can you go without damage?

See above! The plane has small wings - don't get a high sink rate and slow - it will bite you hard!  Sad

At 100 feet as you cross the threshold, make sure you sink rate is no more than 700 FPM. If you are not stable by 500 feet on the approach - GO AROUND! Stable means on speed and sink 700 FPM. When you get down around 100 feet,  start looking at the far end of the runway - it will give you a better sense of closure with the ground - and hence a better idea of where to flare.

9. where is TAT indicator located on real 727?

The TAT on the TWA planes was located where the emergency air brake handle is in the CS model.

sorry if i go lame questions  just digging into 727-100, love hand fly it

P.S. GPWS switch near GPS, radar have only 2 states - off, override. how it should be inflight?

Look again! It has 3 positions... now you tell me which position it should be in. Cool

Have fun hand flying. The 727 was one of the fun planes to fly.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Thanks!!! now i have two days of flying and chartreading:)
GPWS switch should be in normal position, but looks like switch itself have a bug Smiley mine goes OFF or override only.

one more question about fuel planning. Boost pumps Low Pressure warning lights on fuel panel lights-up when about 3000 lbs left in a tank. I think thats bad idea to arrive with that low fuel.

as i understand i should take fuel for: ground ops. + flight + extra fuel to divert. let say i diverted due to wether.  how low on fuel can i be at divert port, and still not to get kick from company staff for risky flight? Smiley)

where can i read about that?

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
The GPWS is a 3 position switch.

With the guard in the up position you can select OFF or OVERRIDE.
With the guard in the closed or down position the switch is forced to the NORMAL position.

Boost pumps Low Pressure warning lights on fuel panel lights-up when about 3000 lbs left in a tank. I think thats bad idea to arrive with that low fuel.

The low pressure lights should not be on with 3,000 pounds of fuel in the tank.
In this example I show the right tank with only 600 pounds and the low pressure lights are not on. No, if I was flying around with just 600 pounds of fuel in the tanks you might see low pressure lights flash on and off if you were at high or low pitch attitudes or bank angles.

Fuel for flight - FAA

1. IFR - Fuel to the destination + 45 minutes.
2. IFR with an alternate - Fuel to destination + fuel to most distant alternate + 45 minutes.

You can put extra fuel for taxi out and holding and diverting around thunderstorms, but you cannot plan to land overweight. So, the taxi fuel must not be part of the flight fuel for planning. If you don't burn all the taxi fuel it could put you in a position where you are too heavy for takeoff.

This was a problem we had all the time at KJFK which had long taxi times in the summer with high traffic and afternoon thunder storms. We would take double and triple taxi fuel so as not to have to return to the gate for more fuel. On a long flight with an alternate you would always be taking off at max takeoff weight. You had to be real careful not to take too much taxi fuel, but enough so as not to have to return to the gate. There were all sorts of fancy planning tricks to allow you to carry enough fuel to make the trip and not be illegal.

I tried to always have at least one hour of fuel on board at landing, but sometimes that was very hard. I remember a 747 of People Express landing KEWR after diverting from KJFK because of low weather. Some of the engines flamed out on taxi in. Now that was really close!  Shocked

Lou

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
thanks again!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top