Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Simplates - Worth getting for my heavy flying (Read 6595 times)
gandy

Simplates - Worth getting for my heavy flying
Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
As the title says, i have been thinking about getting simplates as it covers most airports and approaches along with RNAV charts etc..

Is there anyone else who uses it ?? it is worth getting ??

&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Simplates - Worth getting for my heavy flying
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:22pm:
As the title says, i have been thinking about getting simplates as it covers most airports and approaches along with RNAV charts etc..

Is there anyone else who uses it ?? it is worth getting ??
I have often thought of buying Simplates too. So I'm interested in hearing what others say too.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
It depends on how you plan to use your charts.

Most stuff is available for free when it comes to bigger and medium sized airports. The big online flying networks run their services there and their fans and contributors offer chart downloads of all kind. You don't have to be a member there to access most IVAO or VATSIM chart offerings.
Even if you would have to be a member, it's free.

If you are looking for current ones, the Simplates offer may already by outdated, so not all things are included, like newer GNSS stuff or procedure changes at major hubs.

If you would focus on Navigraph supported airports, so the ones which are for example in the CS FMC, you may think about using a program to actually generate charts on demand.
This currently doesn't include enroute charts, but everything from departure, arrival and approach is there and receives monthly updates when you are subscribed to Navigraph FMC data (not the optional chart service of theirs).

So a simple program and the data from Navigraph is able to give you all information needed to access vital chart values. It also interacts with the sim (showing your position or other traffic, or online frequencies) and lets you customize the chart view itself, which isn't a thing possible with pdf files.
There's a one month free trial on that program and it also includes one rather current set of data, so there's no extra money needed to start with a fixed dataset.
Check out the details here if you like. http://www.aivlasoft.com/products/index.html

I wouldn't call it the cheapest program on the planet, but I wouldn't won't to miss it now, flying IFR around the globe.
If you combine it with the freely available charts mentioned before, you are perfectly set in my eyes.

I thought about Simplates before, but I meanly see it as a collection of charts which are already available on the Net. It adds a program to access them easily, but, apart from that, I don't get the point on why I should spend money on it.

If I for one was up for current charts as pdf, I would always use the official services first and then look into the more flight sim based networks. You will get close to all charted airports on the globe with this method, legal and free.

E. g. Australia hosts all charts for airports for free and always current here. http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.h...

Or take US flights and this amazing service, where you get every chart you need. http://skyvector.com/

So I would really raise an eyebrow if someone downloads them all, packs them on a DVD and sells them to people.
I don't say that Simplates does this, but, for me, they are close to offering such a service. Please note my bias though.

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I know what you mean CoolP but some times finding the charts i want can take longer than the flight i plan to do.

My skill for flight planning is low which is why im thinking this might be a benefit as it sorts the charts for me in to one easy package. Im not really worried about having the most up to date charts as i use the free flight planner over at route finder but making sense of the sids and stars is on a different level for me at the moment and one im still trying to learn Smiley

&&

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I am not sure why you need charts that are current since the database in FSX is frozen many years back. As CoolP says all the charts are available for free and if you have a good printer you can print the enroute charts, stars and sids along with approach plates - once and done.

Hi - IFR for the whole USA

Lo - IFR entire USA

STARS

Well, you get the idea!

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Lou is right when it comes to the FSX internal database, but this is not the one some of us are using.
For example, the CS FMC birds get their navdata from Navigraph and are completely independent of any FSX navdata as they relate to waypoints on a coordinate basis first, not on a named one.

So you could define a waypoint 'COOLP' by attaching some coordinates to that name, let a procedure begin there and place some constrains there too (e. g. 'supersonic only, no fat planes allowed'  Cool) and make use of it.

That's actually how it works on most addons as they sort of share the same database through Navigraph, which is NOT the FSX one and also not connected to it.
The only things which remain rather static are the available navaids+freqs (although you can update them and addon scenery sometimes does) and all sort of procedure data which the default FSX ATC uses and e. g. the default GPS shows.
This data does not have a central database as the information is stored in every scenery file only and may well be outdated since 2006 or so.

So if you go online or with some addon ATC, it will usually offer an option to use updated navdata too, same as on the birds you are flying if they use any kind of FMC.

With this 'world' FSX offers, any coordinate can be assigned to any name you like, so you can define airways, places, even virtual navaids. As long as the plane uses the same data as the ATC, they will also be able to talk and understand each other.
Looking at the above example, if the plane knows where waypoint 'COOLP' is (coordinates) but the default FSX ATC does not, this will end up in confusion.
But if the addon ATC or the online guy uses the same map as you do, he will know where you are flying to.

On the online networks there's no rule to run current data though. Those networks are designed to offer a completely free opportunity to fly.
So if you would come in with outdated navdata while the ATC may be on current one, you would declare to be unable to fly this or that procedure and ask for older ones or you would even revert back to pure vectoring.
That's no problem unless you get into very dense areas (e. g. events), where the raised workload would put too much stress on people, but the 24/7 operation can be achieved with any navdata and charts running.
Some locations are special, they use vectoring only.

It's of course way more fun to fly current stuff and trying to keep the separation and even noise abatement thingies in place. That's the freedom of the sim, one can do this, but does not necessarily have to.  Smiley
As an example, you may fly a procedure and the ATC gives you another one or says that you should fly the published holding at VOR Charly because another pilot caused an emergency situation as he tried to land with 20 kts tailwind, because he knew better than ATC.  Cheesy
A current chart (or chart program) will show that holding, while not current stuff then leads to a slight moment of confusion and some extra talk necessary.

With the latest 757 4.5 update, you've all received AIRAC 1104 by the way.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I think that Navigraph should do a set for all aircraft based on the FSX default navigation stuff it comes with. Anyone who wants it can by a "set" for all aircraft (much the same way as the updated AIRACS are done). For a cost. That way the navigation in FSX can be matched by the navigation used by the aircraft. Maybe I should do just that. Undecided

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Mark, that's a very good idea, but it gets spoiled by FSX itself, because it doesn't offer any central interface to get a navdata set injected.
The navdata in FSX is stored locally in the bgl files, so if you open the one for Melbourne, you will see some Melbourne stuff (and no other) there whereas the Navigraph style of implementing data doesn't care for any special file.

So you could only update FSX procedure data if you edit every airport's file.
Looking on how the Navigraph database works, one can catch a glimpse at \Captain_Sim\navigation.
That's the Captain Sim format of the Navigraph data. Other devs mainly use the same data, but change the format a bit.
So the 1104 AIRAC for CS only differs in the format, not on the data itself from other dev's 1104 ones.

If the default ATC would have a central folder for its data, we could actually make use of current data. But there is no such thing.  Sad

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Too much like work!  Roll Eyes

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So you could only update FSX procedure data if you edit every airport's file.

That's part of it. I also mean the Jet Airways, Victor Airways, Fixes and Intersections. Everything! It is a whole lot of of work though. Sad

Imagine it though. All the Flight Plans made in the FS Flight Planner would match all the data in the AIRAC. It would only be for those who want it, those who update them every month, like me, probably wouldn't want it. Grin

Quote:
Too much like work!

You earned your retirement Lou. I'm still trying to avoid mine. Cheesy

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top