Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Thanks LOU and MarkOz (Read 6038 times)
CoastalDriver

Thanks LOU and MarkOz
Oct 6th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Guys I was searching for a solution to a problem that has bugged me for ages which was breakthrough of the Maroochydore ATIS on to the Bribane ATC approach freq, which meant I could not respond as the ATIS breakthrough conflicted with my attempts to respond using the ATC menu keys (double transmitting=hash) and as I have voicepack installed with fast voices it always happens to quick to do anything about. This always resulted in the vectors and plan being cancelled on the final intercept vector for the RWY 19 ILS at YBBN. End result out over the ocean for awhile, reload the flight plan, get the clearance and then back over the top for more vectors for the ILS, which is frankly interesting but a pain. This used to repeatedly happen with the 727 as well as the 707. I would dread going to YBBN with this problem ongoing and would pray for a RWY01 approach not the 19 approach from the south.

Seems that your earlier discussion: http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1309352775

re com radio settings is the fix. Silly me for not paying much attention to the switch settings here.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Thanks LOU and MarkOz
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Nice to know that my find and Lou's additional info, has helped you with that. It has been a great find for me in the CS707.

I have an interesting problem departing north out of Brisbane (BNE) if flying IFR. At some point, I am asked to contact Brisbane Center on 119.8 so I acknowledge and comply, only to wind up listening to the Maroochydore ATIS. It has caused me to be unable to respond to an instruction from Brisbane Center and therefore have my IFR flight cancelled. Have you ever had this problem?

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:03am
Print Post  
MarkOz - yep I have exactly the same problem. IN the 707 or 727 Using the com switches is interesting at BN because if I manually select the ATIS on 125.5 I get no voice but if I select it from the ATC menu I get voice but it seems nothing will stop the overlap of CTL on 119.8 and the Maroochydore ATIS being on 119.8 as well and that is correct in terms of the frequencies.

The 119.8 frequency for control and it being the Maroochy ATIS as well issue drives me nuts as well. Not sure what causes it but I suspect that there is something amiss in the scenery reference files (possibly FSX default and the frequencies in that area. In real life breakthrough is possible when two same frequencies are reasonably close together and at altitude you hear both but down low nothing. Reloading ORBX has not done anything to fix the problem not sure if there is a patch or navaid/radio frequency file somewhere that could be put into FSX, there used to be but I have not seen one that I would trust for FSX yet.

I don't have a clue how FSX handles or sets radio frequency ranges but I guess there is a default setting somewhere in the files. I note that with NDBs (ADF) for instance all the distances are the equivalent to low frequency set ups (no more than about 40 nm range) but in real life some are good for hundreds of miles (Sydney, Perth and Townsville) were all 200-400 nm ranges (to help the international flights inbound to OZ) but not in FSX, love to be able to change it but as I said beyond me.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
The 119.8 frequency for control and it being the Maroochy ATIS as well issue drives me nuts as well. Not sure what causes it but I suspect that there is something amiss in the scenery reference files (possibly FSX default and the frequencies in that area. In real life breakthrough is possible when two same frequencies are reasonably close together and at altitude you hear both but down low nothing. Reloading ORBX has not done anything to fix the problem not sure if there is a patch or navaid/radio frequency file somewhere that could be put into FSX, there used to be but I have not seen one that I would trust for FSX yet.

Thanks for that. It's nice to know it isn't just me.

I have found tha because 119.80 is the frequency for both Brisbane Control AND Maroochydore ATIS, I pick up the ATIS for well over the normal 60 miles for all other ATIS communications that I get in FSX. I think that because Control has a long range and the ATIS is sharing that frequency, it has a longer range. I never tried an inbound IFR, but I think it's time I did, just to see how far out I might be able to capture it.

Although it kills the IFR flights in the area, I wonder how a VFR with flight following would go when inbound or outbound. I might do a check.

I'll try to find out if the frequency can be changed for the ATIS so as to fix it. I don't hold out much hope on a fix. There must something that can be done.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Yep, I agree completely ruins using BN IFR in FSX. The problem is that you cannot get rid of it because the wav  loop for the ATIS runs in such a way that there is a mismatch or overlap between the CTL wav file and the ATIS wav file so that you cannot respond. I have found that if you change the com frequency immediately it gets rid of the problem but leaves you with another problem, your IFR plan is cancelled automatically and so then I head out over the ocean for a bit do the submit the plan and req clearance then request an ILS via overhead which seems to get you back in. That being said there is something weird about the way the ATC and other frequencies are set up for BN. For example on taxy you cannot select tower until you at the threshold no matter what even though in real life you would go to twr approaching the threshold, especially  on a long run taxyway with no intersection. Very frustrating somedays. The end result is that I have been avoiding flights that go into or out of BN unless you come in from the north, that seems to work ok (sometimes).

Let us know how you go with the flight following VFR flight.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Yep! I was using VFR "Flight Following" (NOU to BNE) and was asked to contact Brisbane Center on 119.8 when I was about 100 miles out of BNE. At 90 miles from Maroochydore, the ATIS message kicked in. The message stopped after a while for some strange reason, I was till 60 miles from Maroochydore. Huh

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
same problem with papua new guinea, port morseby, jacksons int. atis overlaps tower.
looks like its not the only 2 ports with that problem.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that info windplayer. It will be worth taking note of that when in the area. Strange that this can really mess up an IFR or Flight Following flight/ Sad

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 1:28am
Print Post  
MarkOz and Windplayer, ditto the Port Moresby overlap, discovered that taking the 707 in there the other day. Found it could be managed by just ignoring the ATIS land then bring up the ground freq. Very annoying though!. I am doing some research but no answers yet.

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 12:11am
Print Post  
MarkOz, off topic slightly maybe we need another topic for this issue but it is not a Capt Sim problem just FSX. 

Just to show things are not equal in FSX, NDB ranges do vary  it seems. I have recenlty been doing a flight from NZAA to Tahiti and the Nieu NDB (NU) comes into range at 110 nm. If I could only file the relevant files where the values are set in FSX one could make adjustments for the real world ranges.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top