Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Brakes (Read 2215 times)
Christopher Low

Brakes
Sep 11th, 2011 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Is it just me, or do the toe brakes on the 707 seem to be too effective? If I use them in conjunction with the thrust reversers and spoilers, I can get the 707 (with a 50 per cent fuel load and no passengers) to stop in hardly more than 3000 feet! If I don't touch the toe brakes, the thrust reversers and spoilers have a hard time slowing the plane down over twice that distance. Surely this is incorrect?

Is there any way to change the effectiveness of the toe brakes?

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Brakes
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 8:45am
Print Post  
There is a parameter in the aircraft.cfg.
[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale=0.85

You could lower it for testing. I saw 0.82 on some other heavy and 0.71 on a prop commuter plane of mine. 0.60 on a 737.
I don't know how the actual setting is build, but lowering the value will surely lower the overall brake performance, and that's what you are looking for, right?

Are you braking with pedals or do you use the trigger or key? I'm asking because the already too high ground friction in FSX and the use of the trigger brakes easily renders the whole braking to be too good.

That's where the FSX flaw and the unnatural 'jump on the brakes' behaviour may come together since the trigger breaking always enables 100% force and the antiskid will receive a perfect friction setting, unlike to some real runways + tire combinations.
If you use pedals, you may step on them more gently to somehow simulate a firm but not too hard braking action for your passengers. That's what I do.

There's some payware out there to circumvent the FSX friction flaw and e. g. take runway conditions into account for all planes installed. I've never tried it though.

IP Logged

Christopher Low

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thanks, CoolP. I will experiment with that toe brakes setting.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:38am
Print Post  
And whatever happens when tweaking the brakes, keep a smile on your face.  Smiley

Guess the toe_brakes_scale there.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top