Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Anti-Aliasing (Read 3950 times)
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Anti-Aliasing
Sep 4th, 2011 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
In my constant struggle to get FSX working well, I had always messed with the scenery and weather tabs to try and increase performance without sacrificing too much quality. As I have had little luck with that, I decided today to try the general graphics settings. I set up the CS 757-200 with a  detailed McPhat livery at Newark Liberty International Airport (NEWR) and set weather to "Gray and Rainy". I tried lowering resolution, but that gave me little to no FPS increase and a major quality hit (though lower resolution coupled with DX10 worked reasonably well). While no filtering gives a performance boost, everything looks grainy, and I don't see much of a difference between the different filtering methods, so I just left it at bilinear. Then I decided to try something I hadn't before: turn off anti-aliasing. You can see my results at the bottom.

With AA turned off, my frame rates improved a good amount, going from 12-16 to 20+ (I have my frame limit set to 20, so I don't know how much of an increase there would actually be, but probably 2 or 3 FPS more). But, as you can see from the picture, edges are a bit jagged (obviously, as that's what AA corrects). Now, I don't think that they're too jagged, and it's certainly preferable to poor FPS, but I did find a way to get rid of at least some of the jaggedness. Go into your video card settings and find the Anti-Aliasing settings (for me, it's under Gaming>3D  Application Settings) and set AA to a lower setting (I have mine at 2x). Now your video card is controlling the anti-aliasing and not FSX. I hope it works!

Now, maybe a bunch of other people have noticed this and I'm just making a fool of myself posting this, but it works well, so I thought I'd post it here just to be safe.  Wink



Uploaded with Imageshack.us
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
gandy
Senior Member
*
Offline



Posts: 266
Location: Near EGHH
Joined: Mar 25th, 2011
Re: Anti-Aliasing
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 6:51am
Print Post  
As you have an ATI card have you thought of using the shader 3 mod as that might help you get back some of your performance when you have lots of cloud cover.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/283701-bojotes-shader-30-mod-for-fsx/

Its a 30 page thread so make sure you read it so you can see its development over time and see if there is any issues you might encounter.

if i had an ATI then the chances are i would use the shader 3 mod. Also are you using fsx or the ati contral panel to set AA within the sim ?
  

&&
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
DarrenL
Full Member
*
Offline



Posts: 54
Joined: Nov 4th, 2010
Re: Anti-Aliasing
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Remember though that the shader 3 mod can be unstable for some and if you install it you can no longer use the FS Water Configurator app.

I use an ATi card and I have always been advised to keep the ATi control centre settings to "Application based" and use in game changes. I have tried card settings and the results end up blurry. NVidia cards are advised to change on the card settings.
  

Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: Anti-Aliasing
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Shader 3 did not work for me, and of course I didn't like that it turns overhead view into a light blue mess. Turning off AA gives me good enough frame rates, so I don't think I need it anyway (though clouds still are affecting my performance).
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
gandy
Senior Member
*
Offline



Posts: 266
Location: Near EGHH
Joined: Mar 25th, 2011
Re: Anti-Aliasing
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
are you using any addon cloud package like rex as HD clouds can have a very heavy effect on fps.
  

&&
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: Anti-Aliasing
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Nope. Lately I've been trying out different reduced-sized cloud textures. I just downloaded some DXT3 clouds, and I'll see if that works. I've been using these cloud textures called Oscar Clouds which have given me a few extra FPS.
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
 
  « Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top