DAL191 wrote on Jul 30
th, 2011 at 3:43pm:
Mark
I have a couple of questions about reinstalling using the method you outlined above.
1. How far along are you with the reinstall?
2.Does this method require any registry clean up in regards to FSX and CS products?
3.Addons such as airports, scenery, weather textures like REX, ASE, etc - are you cleaning up the registry when those are uninstalled? A lot of addons have uninstallers that will remove the application plus delete registry folders. I have found that using Control Panel\Programs and Features\Uninstall will get rid of the application but leave folders with broken links in the registry. What is your experience with this type of problem?
Thanks
Michael Cubine
Hi Michael.
1. Not quite sure what you mean. I have installed many of my add-ons so far. I have not redone REX2 yet (being lazy with that one), but I did
remove the textures before reinstalling/repairing FSX.
2. I don't clean the registry after renaming the FSX folder.
3. Although removing the add-on from the Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) without a proper uninstall can leave the product installation info in the registry, I have found that it fixes the registry once I install the product again. After I finish doing it all, I will get rid of the F:\FSX Backup and all its contents. I have been doing this type of
fix for problems with FSX/FSXadd-ons this way for a long time, I have never noticed any problems with leftovers in the registry. I guess because I put everything back in the end, it won't really matter.
Doing it this last time, I have fixed a few annoying issues that I suddenly started having and FSX is running really well now.
Mark