Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

 

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 VOR problem (Read 9415 times)
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
VOR problem
Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:30am
Print Post  
This was originally a problem I noticed with the 727, but I realized that it is not the aircraft, but a simulator issue. No matter what VOR I'm flying, the course given to me by my VOR indicator is slightly off from the actual course on the GPS (correct heading, but wrong positioning). This occurred on my old system and has not stopped on my new one. Is VOR navigation supposed to be a bit off? Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,
boeing247
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
boeing247,

Here is a screen capture of the CS 707 on airways to the EMI VOR.
All looks normal on the VOR display and the GPS.



Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
So you've never had any problem like this?
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
No, not as you are describing. But in the older planes such as the 727 & 707 I do not use a GPS, only VOR's. Yet, as you can see the VOR and the GPS are lined up. Maybe Mark can shed some light since I think he uses GPS in the old birds.

Lou
  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 4:38am
Print Post  
I don't use the GPS in old planes, but I was vectored back on course by ATC, so I checked the GPS and I was one or two (sometimes more, depending on the VOR) off course event when the HSI said I was perfectly fine. Also, this is occurring on modern prop planes, too.
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
Markoz
CS Team
*
Offline



Posts: 12453
Location: Victoria, Australia
Joined: Apr 24th, 2009
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 8:47am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Jul 22nd, 2011 at 6:36pm:
No, not as you are describing. But in the older planes such as the 727 & 707 I do not use a GPS, only VOR's. Yet, as you can see the VOR and the GPS are lined up. Maybe Mark can shed some light since I think he uses GPS in the old birds.

Lou

That's nice to know Lou. When boeing247 first brought the subject up a while ago, I had the exact same problem as he did. I was offtrack by up to 2 miles and increasing. The VOR showed that it was following the track, but even when I tried it with no winds (Clear skies), you could see it wasn't going to go over the VOR. It was definitely going to miss. By more that two miles!

Mark
  

Mark Fletcher



PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD + 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | Win 11 Pro
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Try something for me...

Find a VOR that you can see or find from the air.
On VFRMAP.com plot a radial to another VOR that is not too far away, lets say 40 to 60 miles.
Fly the radial from one VOR to the other using the plotted radial and see if it takes you right over the second VOR.

I did just that, and here is what I found.



I plotted a course from the OTT VOR to the SBY VOR.
The radial from OTT is 120 degrees.
When the needle indicated station passage I froze the sim and took these captures.








The GPS is dead on as is the VOR.
The depiction of the plane in the GPS is facing the wrong way because
I hit the "Y" key to bring the plane down in altitude.
The distance from OTT to SBY is about 50 miles.
At 60 miles, one degree is one mile wide.

I have not seen a problem with the VOR vs GPS.
Lets see what you all find.

Lou


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
701151
Senior Member
*
Offline


Delta 737-200

Posts: 1009
Location: UNITED STATES
Joined: Jan 29th, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Lou is that just a black 727?
  

Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
That is my super stealthy 727-100 !  Shocked

No Peter, it is indeed black.
That happens sometimes when
I pop in and out of FSX and
use several other programs
at the same time.

Lou
  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:15am
Print Post  
I've found something interesting: while flying, I was looking at the HSI, which was directing me off-course. I hadn't looked at the VOR indicator, which was giving me the correct course.

Here's the screenshot, it's actually from a Cessna C340, not the 727. (Does the 727 have a VOR indicator like this, or is it just the HSI?)
  

vor.JPG (Attachment deleted)

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post  
boeing247, are these displays from two different VOR's?



If so, could be one of your VOR's needs to be calibrated.  Cheesy

Just asking???

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:52am
Print Post  
No, they're the same. I have both VHF radios tuned to the same frequency.
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
LOU
Beta Team
*
Offline


727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Posts: 1614
Location: Central PA, USA
Joined: Mar 3rd, 2010
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 2:37am
Print Post  
You miss the point, you have two radios and two displays......
which one is feeding which instrument.

That is why I used two different colors.
Usually, one radio feeds the HSI and
the other feeds the second VOR dial.

Lou
  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
boeing247
Senior Member
*
Offline


Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Posts: 1506
Location: Southern CA
Joined: Feb 23rd, 2011
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 2:54am
Print Post  
No, I see what you're saying, I think I just phrased my response incorrectly.  Wink Yes, the top one controls the HSI and the bottom one controls the VOR indicator. However, they are bothed tuned to the same VOR station.
  

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
Back to top
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged
 
Markoz
CS Team
*
Offline



Posts: 12453
Location: Victoria, Australia
Joined: Apr 24th, 2009
Gender: Male
Re: VOR problem
Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 3:45am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Jul 23rd, 2011 at 2:58pm:
Try something for me...

Find a VOR that you can see or find from the air.
On VFRMAP.com plot a radial to another VOR that is not too far away, lets say 40 to 60 miles.
Fly the radial from one VOR to the other using the plotted radial and see if it takes you right over the second VOR.

Hi Lou.

I did a similar flight with the 727 yesterday. It worked perfectly.



Mark
  

Mark Fletcher



PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD + 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | Win 11 Pro
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
 
  « Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top