Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I can't get started (Read 4143 times)
Copaman

I can't get started
Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I purchased the product last night, read the manual, and tried to run it. So far, no success.

I'm running Windows XP, so the whole "run as administrator" is a non-issue.

The first thing I did was assign the weapons to an aircraft. It was an old FS9 aircraft ported over to FSX, lacking a panel, so I thought this would be a good candidate for the weapons mod. When I brought up the panel, the main panel and the HUD background appeared, but when I selected the HUD itself, the pointer turned into an hourglass and just sat there flashing over and over with no HUD. I exited the sim, reloaded, and this time selected the weapons-enabled FA-18. This time, I was able to get the HUD. When I went back and selected my aircraft and tried to enable the HUD, again, no HUD and a blinking hourglass, as if something is stuck in an endless loop.

Oh well, I can at least enjoy the FA18, right?

Relaunched sim, selected FA-18, brought up the HUD. I pushed the button to fire the guns. The guns fired a couple dozen rounds, and I saw the effects on the screen - but then the sound got stuck and just kept repeating the gunfire, over and over and over again. I couldn't make it stop except to exit the sim.

I really want to like the product, but it seems very, very buggy to me. Sad

IP Logged

StephenL

Re: I can't get started
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Try un-installing on your FS9 aircraft with the loader, then re-install the loader option. If it still doesn't work, un-install the weapons, then re-install. Still have problems? Don't use it on the aircraft, or place for a new ticket.

I have the old Alpha-sim F-22, for FS9, and It works in FSX with the weapons. I've never heard of your problem though.

i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz - H100i Water cooling (Corsair SP120Quiet fans) - MSI Gaming 5 mobo - MSI GTX 970 4GB OC - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA 850w Bronze PSU - 240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 1TB HDD - NZXT Phantom 530 (Custom Modded) - Windows 8.1 64bit Pro

IP Logged

Copaman

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Okay, I guess by posting the whole story with all the details threw you guys off.

Here's what I did this time: I uninstalled Weapons for FSX. I re-installed it. I started my sim and chose the FA-18 that it put the weapons in against by default. I didn't modify any other aircraft.

Panel comes up blank. I pressed Shift+1 to bring up main panel, shift+2 to bring up HUD gauge, and shift+3 to bring up HUD background. I clicked the Master on the panel.

Then, as I clicked into this browser window and began typing this message, as soon as I pressed the space bar for the first time, the RDM REM showed 189 and the sim started making an unending clicking sound - which I assume to be the guns - and it hasn't stopped. In fact, in the course of writing this statement, my rounds remaining has decreased to 99, decreasing a little bit every time I press the spacebar.

I switched the selector over to rockets, showing and just now it fired them all, but it is still stuck on an endless sound loop - still playing the gun sound.

The effects are appearing when I press the spacebar (but interesting that it doesn't matter where I am in when I press the spacebar; it reacts to ANY time I press the spacebar, whether I am in focused in the FSX window or not), but the sound starts the first time I press the spacebar and never stops. I really wish I could make the awful clicking sound stop.

Even when the rounds run out according to the counter on the panel, the sound still continues.

I've been warned in the past about Captain Sim products, and this would seem to confirm it - I'm too stupid to use a Captain Sim product. I just wish I hadn't spent the $22 on this. I read the favorable review at FlightSim.com the other day and thought I would give it a go, despite the flurry of negative reviews at FSPilotShop.com. Man, do I feel really dumb now.

Oh, well, off to uninstall it again. Is there any way to get a refund? Apparently, there's no support and no documentation. I wish the review at FS.com made that clearer. I didn't know I was paying $22 to be a Beta tester.  Angry

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:34am
Print Post  
but it is still stuck on an endless sound loop - still playing the gun sound.
There is a fix for the sound problem (not just the one I copied from your post, but all of them). Submit a ticket and you will be able to get the fix for that.

Panel comes up blank. I pressed Shift+1 to bring up main panel, shift+2 to bring up HUD gauge, and shift+3 to bring up HUD background. I clicked the Master on the panel.
Do a complete uninstall and registry clean (remove the CS Weapon entry from the windows registry). See KB #685 for details.

If you still having the missing panels issue - A further problem that can occur is that the downloaded installer is faulty. Click on the link in the email to re-download the file and install it with the new installer.

Is there any way to get a refund? Apparently, there's no support and no documentation.
You can get the manuals from here: http://www.captainsim.com/products/w001/manuals.html

I didn't know I was paying $22 to be a Beta tester.
It works perfectly for me (it always has) and many others. I have never had any of the problems that you are having.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Copaman

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:34am:
There is a fix for the sound problem (not just the one I copied from your post, but all of them). Submit a ticket and you will be able to get the fix for that.

If you have a fix, why can't you give it to me? So, I have to somehow figure out how to enter a support ticket to fix a problem with a piece of software I just bought - but you can't just tell me how to fix it? Are we really going to play "I've got a secret"? Why isn't there anything in the documentation? Why isn't there a link to a patch? Why is it the first time I hear of this problem is here - and even then the answer is nebulous at best?

Quote:
Do a complete uninstall and registry clean (remove the CS Weapon entry from the windows registry). See KB #685 for details.

Ok, I don't like playing with the registry, but I'll give that a shot.

Quote:
If you still having the missing panels issue - A further problem that can occur is that the downloaded installer is faulty. Click on the link in the email to re-download the file and install it with the new installer.
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Is there any way to get a refund? Apparently, there's no support and no documentation.
You can get the manuals from here: http://www.captainsim.com/products/w001/manuals.html

Yes, I received that. If only it worked like the manual said. Nothing to aid in trouble shooting, such as where files should go or what should you do if, say, the HUD doesn't appear or the sound gets stuck. Guess that's how software companies like this make money; making customers pay for support for buggy products.

Quote:
I didn't know I was paying $22 to be a Beta tester.
It works perfectly for me (it always has) and many others. I have never had any of the problems that you are having.

Interesting, just above you referenced that there is a fix for the sound problem (sounds like someone else has had that issue at some point) and that there is this mysterious KB #685 that apparently someone else has had this problem as well.

Of course, it would still be helpful to actually point me to the answers instead of telling me there's fixes and I need to look for them (what do you think I've been doing for the past two days) and then saying "You're the only one with the problem."

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Copaman wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 1:11pm:
Markoz wrote on Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:34am:

If you have a fix, why can't you give it to me? So, I have to somehow figure out how to enter a support ticket to fix a problem with a piece of software I just bought - but you can't just tell me how to fix it? Are we really going to play "I've got a secret"? Why isn't there anything in the documentation? Why isn't there a link to a patch? Why is it the first time I hear of this problem is here - and even then the answer is nebulous at best?

Because this issue does not appear at all systems, only at some of them. Mark was doing his best to help you, but it is not his obligation. Please keep up with rules of politeness here. Also please check Forum Rules  - this forum is not for technical support. If you want your report to be forwarded to development team for consideration please check-in to Your Profile then click Product Name > Customer Support > to submit a Ticket.

IP Logged

Copaman

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Markoz,

I apologize for my remarks. I thought that you served in an official capacity on behalf of Captain Sim.

I followed your advice and contacted the support desk, who gave me a link to the V1.01 Weapons for FSX. I don't know why this isn't public knowledge; at best, a FAQ saying "If you have sound problems, request version 1.01" or at a minimum, an entry in the KB. As it is, if you hadn't have responded back to me, I still would not have known about the v1.01 that resolved my sound problem. I still think Captain Sim would do well to at least create an entry in this forum about the issue. Perhaps I'll do that as a service to others in my situation.

Thanks for your assistance.

IP Logged

Copaman

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:16am
Print Post  
As far as the HUD issue, I examined the output from the Loader program and compared it with the entry for the CS_FA18 aircraft. I noticed that in the entries added by the Loader tool, it added two entries for the HUD, which I believe is where the problem lies.

Here is the first part of my panel.cfg prior to running the loader:

window00=Main Panel
Window01=HUD
window02=GPS Panel

Here is what it put in for the panel.cfg after running the Loader:

window00=Main Panel
Window01=Weapon Control Panel
window02=HUD
Window04=GPS Panel
Window05=HUD
Window06=
Window03=HUD Glass

What is odd is that the entries are not in order, and you see a reference to a Window06 which, when you look through the rest of the cfg file, does not exist. I modified the entries to remove the Window06 and to properly order the windows, and now the cfg file works.

I haven't played with the Loader against any other aircraft yet, primarily because I wanted to test it out against one aircraft first, in case it did any long-term damage. As it was, because I uninstalled FSX for Weapons, the uninstaller did not do the clean up of any aircraft types (which I assumed it would do). I had to manually go in and clean up all of the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg entries that referred to Weapons. Then, when I installed the 1.01 version, I couldn't run the Loader against the first aircraft, because it thought it was already loaded (and it wouldn't allow me to use the "Remove" entry to fix it). I thus had to run the Loader against a second aircraft, which is where I saw the problems shown above. When I examined the original aircraft, I saw a similar issue: an extra Window entry in the panel.cfg.

As a result, I don't think I'll use the Loader any more, as it is too unpredictable. I'd rather manually edit the panel.cfg by hand, since it seems that's what I'll end up doing anyway (with the Loader problems).

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I apologize for my remarks. I thought that you served in an official capacity on behalf of Captain Sim.
That's okay. I understand your frustration. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top