Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Blurriness (Read 3368 times)
boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Blurriness
Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
This is an FSX problem, but I've noticed it while flying CS planes... Anyways, Whenever I start climbing much above 10,000 feet, the ground below me stops refining the textures (by that I mean they are still blurry, as if they were far-off). This was not a big deal while I was flying at FL320, but when I descended down to 2000 feet, the ground textures looked awful and very few buildings loaded (not even one autogen building appeared). I don't have a particularly powerful system, but I have been able to run FSX at high settings in the past and maintain reasonable frame rates. When this problem occurred, my frame rates were still fine, but the graphics were poor, as if I had the settings turned down (which I don't). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Oh, I wonder if it would have something to do with the fact that I installed the frame rate limiter suggested at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, but I don't think it installed correctly, so I have my FPS target set at Unlimited without a working FPS limiter. Could this be the problem?

Thanks,
boeing247

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Blurriness
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Simple test, set the frame limit within FSX back to a limited value and see if the stuff gets better then. The external limiter only limits towards the upper range of the value, so choose something well lower than his setting and be limited again.
Bit of a downside of that unlimited setting is the increased possibility of blurry textures. So the sharper image would appear when going back to limited as more time is spend on e. g. textures.
If you are happy with the fps but get blurry stuff, maybe sacrifice some of them to see sharper textures.
Another thing would be to keep the disc away from high fragmentation and to disable all sceneries you don't intend to fly on that special flight. This will not only help with blurry textures but also with the overall loading times.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks! Oh, while I was looking at my scenery library, I noticed that Default Scenery and Default Terrain had the lowest priorities, would it help to move them up?

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I think the default stuff is down there by design. The more detailed things are always prioritized higher to allow their details to superimpose the lower/no detailed stuff.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:54pm:
Thanks! Oh, while I was looking at my scenery library, I noticed that Default Scenery and Default Terrain had the lowest priorities, would it help to move them up?

Add-on scenery goes to the top because when FSX is loading scenery, it starts at 1 and goes down the list. Once the add-on scenery is loaded, it ignores the default (because the add-on scenery was given precedence). It would look silly if an add-on airport AND a default airport were both seen together. Grin

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2011 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Well, I'm dredging up this topic because I'm still getting blurry textures. As I've said before, I have an Inspiron laptop with the highest video card, processor, and RAM it will take (which is just enough to get by), and it's having trouble loading textures quickly (this mostly happens with jetliners because they're moving to fast for the textures to load). Does anybody happen to know any little tricks to getting fsx to run faster?

Thanks,
boeing247

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2011 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
This may seem like an obvious question, but it can't hurt to ask. Would it be better to turn up the texture resolution and hope that the computer devotes more time to it and makes the textures sharper, or would it be better to turn down the resolution in hopes that the computer will completely load the textures to what they're set at?

Thanks,
boeing247

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2011 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Although turning the resolution UP will give better, sharper looks, it will also put more strain on your already struggling system. Unfortunately, turning them down is better. BUT..... You will lose quality (does this mean even more blurriness?). You can't have quality and performance without having a more powerful computer. Until you do that, you are going to have to settle for it not being as good.

I really admire your persistence with using FSX on your Laptop! If it was me, my laptop would have gone out the window in a fit of rage (AGES AGO) because it wasn't good enough for FSX!

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2011 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Turning them down might actually improve the quality. The thing is that my poor computer can't even load low-end textures. It's loading a blurry mess.

I was able to actually substantially improve (though they're not perfect, but pretty good) the textures by going into the fsx.cfg file and setting TextureMaxLoad to 12 (it was at 6). It cost me two FPS, but that's not so bad (though it's more than it sounds, considering I get generally low FPS).

When Microsoft Flight comes out, I'll likely be installing it (and maybe FSX, if I can't get any addons onto it) on a brand-new desktop (or really good laptop, like one suggested to me in another topic). I have to do some searching for a good computer, though.  Grin

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
If your stuff gets sharp after waiting, this may be related to overall the amount of scenery to process.
Can you try a run with just some scenery activated while a huge part is unchecked in the scenery library?

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
No change. Perhaps I didn't turn off enough? I turned off all the unneeded continents (leaving on only Eastern and Central North America, since I wasn't sure where the divisions were), the city custom sceneries that I wasn't near (which I think was all of them), and a good number of the "base" areas (e.g. 0989 base). What exactly are those base ones, and how many/which ones should I turn off?

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
No change?  Shocked
Sounds like you did turn off enough though. Those base areas are the ones from FSX itself, stock scenery and all those little fields out of the 26.000. You can leave them all on but your unused continents disabling was the right decision.
If you want to turn them off, here's the description about their naming rules.
For default scenery, the world is divided into a grid, as shown in the following diagram, and the scenery for each grid rectangle is stored in a separate folder, named rrcc Base, where rr is the row in the grid (from 0 to 7), and cc the column (from 0 to 11).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526966.aspx

Strange thing then. If you're using those Bojote settings and your disc is ok while not having too high FSX autogen settings, every scenery should come up sharp after a while since it does get processed.
In which area are you testing there? Maybe you can post a screenshot.
I remember some guys complaining about blurry ground textures at some current Orbx fields although running valid settings and a defragmented disc.
But this looked more like an exception from the rule to me.

IP Logged

boeing247

people since 1903

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:50am
Print Post  
The scenery does come up after awhile, but the problem is that I have to pause FSX in and wait for it to load properly.  Tongue

I'll post a screenshot when I get the chance.

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top