Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
"Don't Sink" (Read 7688 times)
n77737

"Don't Sink"
Mar 25th, 2011 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I purchased the 727-100 base pack a few days ago and am trying to learn it. While descending on an ILS I am getting a continuous " don't sink" warning when below about 1200' agl. The knowledge base indicated that this was repaired in version 2.3, I downloaded csp721_2400.exe. What can I do to eliminate this annoyance?

Dave

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: "Don't Sink"
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Dave,

There are several things folks have done to correct this, but for me the fix was to go into the FSX folder under sounds and mark the "DON'T_SINK" sound to .old - end of problem. This is not a correct fix since all you are doing is getting rid of that warning, but it does the trick for me. The don't sink call out is a takeoff warning only and you should never get this during landing.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

n77737

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Lou,

Thanks, it's a step in the right direction.

Dave

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I guess this section in the aircraft.cfg defines the trigger for playing that sound.
Quote:
[GPWS]
max_warning_height         =  1200
sink_rate_fpm              = -1500
excessive_sink_rate_fpm    = -2000
climbout_sink_rate_fpm     = -1500
flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm= -1500

Copyright to the guy who offers the 2.3 mod pack.

So if you are looking for a less general solution (renaming the file disables it, even if it would be played in the right situation, on every plane which uses it), try altering the values there.
As Lou pointed out in another thread, this warning is intended to be played when you are sinking after takeoff while the approach sinking of course is correct.

I always understand "don't think!" and followed this advise since hearing it. Cheesy

Now, if you want to disable that sound just on the CS 727 (and leave it available for other addons and planes, that's my only concern with Lou's solution), you can also go to \SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B727-100\sound and open the sound.cfg.

Add
Quote:
[GPWS_Dont_Sink]
filename=silence
maximum_volume=10

and save it (make a backup first, the only file that gets processed is the one named "sound.cfg").

This defines the sound "silence" to this event. Since there isn't any sound "silence", nothing can be heard. Some devs even drop a silent file in there which gets played then.
If the event itself isn't defined and the plane has a flag in the aircraft.cfg that GPWS is available (which the 727 does) you will hear the default FSX sounds in those situations. That's what's happening on your system.
By defining the custom sound in the sound.cfg, you can override them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top