Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
B 727 ILS Aproach (Read 2595 times)
ottoramsaig

An earth bound misfit
I........

B 727 ILS Aproach
Mar 23rd, 2011 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I think I have a grasp on it after following along with Mercuryone on U Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3utBqi7-4

The only problem I have is that on final my 727 lines up to the right of RWY 19R unlike his video. This is forcing me to disengage the AP early making radical adjustments. Am I doing something wrong? Is the ILS VOR located to the right of the Runway?

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: B 727 ILS Aproach
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Is the ILS VOR located to the right of the Runway?
Did you tune the ILS or the VOR there?
Don't mix them up as this is a common error because the readings show up on the same instruments, but, from the technical side, both things only have very few things in common.

The VOR would be placed anywhere, sometimes on the airport aerial of course, but never really aligned that precisely to allow an ILS-like accuracy. The VOR measurement also is different, allowing huge ranges but not so precise readings to actually autoland with it.
See it as a rough guidance, surely able to assist during the approach, but the minimums are way higher than on ILS landings there, for good reason. As said, autoland on VORs is not allowed (and shouldn't be possible too).
E. g., if you set that Course needle to the wrong setting while flying with a VOR, you will actually fly the wrong Course. Doing the same when having tuned the Localizer won't harm you though, the plane would follow the fixed Localizer heading as long as it can receive it and is able to follow, precisely.

The ILS is precisely aligned with the runway centerline (=Localizer component of the ILS), at least in most cases. All special cases are marked as such and carry notes like "offset Localizer!" or something not named "ILS".
You'll see some of those at high surrounding terrain airports where you are guided on the Localizer until a certain height and "break off" from it when reaching the lower limits, to fly the rest of the approach visually. Take Innsbruck for example. A famous approach, not named "ILS" but using some of the components there.

So while all normal ILS related things are always bound to that special runway (sometimes in both directions), the VOR stuff is a more general aid on the approach and might give you that offset you spoke of.

If you get an offset while using the ILS, check your scenery file for the right numbers there. Maybe it's misaligned.
The 727 itself is able to follow the ILS precisely, by design. No autoland though.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Are you sure you don't have the NAV/GPS set to GPS on approach? .g. You have done an FS Flight Planner route using the GPS and you have forgotten to switch it back to NAV mode and so the 727 is trying to track the GPS and not the ILS? I've done that before. Embarrassed

Mark
Edited:
I just did a landing at KMCI on RWY 19R. The ILS and Glide Slope are spot on. Definitely not to the right of the runway.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

ottoramsaig

An earth bound misfit
I........

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks folks, I will check my settings tonight. I think I may have dailed in the VOR not the ILS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top