Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 130 Send TopicPrint
 25 Lou - STORIES (Read 911356 times)
CoolP

Re: Lou - STORIES
Reply #225 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Oh, don't read my words the wrong way, Lou. There's no problem at all when the learning process takes place after every incident. In fact, it's a big pro that it does.

Regarding your 'flying is much safer today' statement, I can fully agree there although we're talking about much more "filled" skies every few years. The amount of traffic is enormous and still goes up.
So modern avionics like those G1000 devices in even the small GA planes are not only a nice tool but maybe a life safer here and there.

It's amazing that those GA people can even get some realtime satellite weather in their small aircraft together with a detailed traffic display to avoid the airliners and other GA fellows.
This won't be of much use for that bush flying pilot, but as most GA planes start from more or less dense areas, these inventions actually increase safety for all planes around them.

IP Logged

StephenL

Reply #226 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 3:06am
Print Post  
And just for God's sake follow the manual.

i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz - H100i Water cooling (Corsair SP120Quiet fans) - MSI Gaming 5 mobo - MSI GTX 970 4GB OC - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA 850w Bronze PSU - 240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 1TB HDD - NZXT Phantom 530 (Custom Modded) - Windows 8.1 64bit Pro

IP Logged

StephenL

Reply #227 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 3:13am
Print Post  
I got some plane Jokes. They're all clean though.

An American leg pull was to tell the Flight attendant that her job was  to lower the nose wheel when landing. ( They told here it was the Flap switch ) Well, one day, the FO got the plane ligned up in very bad weather, when the Flight attendant burst into the cockpit and yelled "Don't Land! Don't land!" When that happens, Pilots don't ask questions, they overshoot.  The Flight attendant then said " I've been very busy on the flight, and I forgot to put the Nose wheel down!"  That joke soon ended.

Another one is when an old Canadian-American Airline would let there pilots dress in whatever they liked. Well, one time the captain would sit in the back of the plane while the passengers were loading. Then he would wait a while, and Announce "Where's the pilot of this thing! I could darn well fly the thing myself! He would then storm up to the Cabin, and lock the door. I took a while to get all of the passengers calmed down!

i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz - H100i Water cooling (Corsair SP120Quiet fans) - MSI Gaming 5 mobo - MSI GTX 970 4GB OC - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA 850w Bronze PSU - 240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 1TB HDD - NZXT Phantom 530 (Custom Modded) - Windows 8.1 64bit Pro

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #228 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Good ones!

We are you guys flying around this time, when not enjoying some nice outside weather?
I just got myself some African scenery (mainly some textures and landclass, so no highly detailed airports)) and therefore I'm taking the 707 in South African livery (and others) around those more or less remote fields with enough runway to spare and tons of old style nav to do.

Had some humid 35 degrees Celsius lately, so big engine fun for the ol' 707. Approaching Roberts Intl, Monrovia, GLRB now, thunderstorm (with cloud towers) ahead.
Avoiding it with the help of the nice CS weather radar, but she still gets a good shaking.  Cheesy

A bit closer here, somewhere out there is my place to land. Watch the WR screen.

Made it, slightly off the centerline.

Not the nicest scenery installation there but surely worth to explore in my eyes. I'm tired if doing the big hubs/locations only.

IP Logged

StephenL

Reply #229 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Sounds like good fun Smiley I recently got World of AI to work, kinda.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #230 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Lou, what landing in your career was the best ever?

My Dad's for instance was after the Western merger adn the airlines had been completely merged, and my dad was getting his checkride in oe of Western's 737-300's that was obtaiend in the merger. He was the first Delta pilot to go into LAX. So he was in his checkride, there's this senior linecheck pilot from Western and he makes the most perfect landing ever, and the stewardess after teh flight comes to teh cockpit and says "That was the best landign I've ever seen for 25 years!" and of course all the guys in teh cockpit, linecheck pilot and jumpseat dude were saying in their heads 'no, no thats a Delta pilot!' his other best one was in Charles de Gualle after the Northwest merger getting his checkride when Delta combined the International 767-ER's with the regular 767-300's and the senior linecheck pilot was there, and he made another perfect landing.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #231 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
StephenL wrote on Jun 4th, 2011 at 12:16pm:
Sounds like good fun Smiley I recently got World of AI to work, kinda.

Indeed, Africa truly is in that rainy season. Hot and humid, thunderstorms are very frequent, so even the simple VOR approaches become a challenge with the old 707.
I did some flights with modern glass planes before and it's really distracting every time to just watch some needles in IMC then, when going on the older planes (which I love).
But I find it very rewarding to go like this and learn the nav stuff there, even making mistakes.

I'm always setting me up with charts and maps, but no "moving" stuff at all, so the only way to determine my position are those needles.
Surely not a big thing for some rw guys like Lou, but I think that quite some sim only pilots will struggle there on the first attempts. At least I did, and still do sometimes.

Haven't got World of AI here, but UT2 does a good job for the bigger spots so far. I did a flight to Lagos (DNMM) now, another thunderstorm in 26 degrees Celsius, and the airport was populated with e. g. Virgin Nigeria planes.
I'm not so much into installing flight plans and such, I just want to have some one-click-traffic, so to say. But I've only heard good things about World of AI so far.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #232 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 1:17am
Print Post  
pj747 asked: Lou, what landing in your career was the best ever?

The last landing I made into KSTL in a 757. Landed and taxied into the gate in the same minute.
I turned to my F/O and said..."that's it, I retire!"  Smiley

Never scratched a plane in all my years of flying, I think that makes for a good landing - don't you?  Cool

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #233 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 1:17am:
pj747 asked: Lou, what landing in your career was the best ever?

The last landing I made into KSTL in a 757. Landed and taxied into the gate in the same minute.
I turned to my F/O and said..."that's it, I retire!"  Smiley

Never scratched a plane in all my years of flying, I think that makes for a good landing - don't you?  Cool

Lou

Would that count as the best or the worst? For me, giving up something I loved for 40 years would have been very hard, even if it was the right time to do it.

When I first got licensed, my goal was to fly for the 'majors'. I never got there for a variety of reasons, the single biggest one being 5'8", 120lbs, and blonde   Wink  but I did make it to a 'commuter' as they were called back in the day.  I still putt around in friends planes now but it's not the same.

If it wasn't for FSX and some of the outstanding developers I would be in a constant state of withdrawel! That and some friends who fly for the airlines  and tell me their stories from time to time keep me sorta in the loop, which is why I started this thread way back.

Thanks Lou for sharing, for a lot of us it's as close as we will ever get to the real FL350, 500kts, and a load of passengers!

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #234 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
JayG wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm:
Thanks Lou for sharing, for a lot of us it's as close as we will ever get to the real FL350, 500kts, and a load of passengers!

Please don't insult the rw Concorde Captains around.  Grin

But more seriously, I think you hit the nail on the head. That "easy" last flight of a guy doing the job for 40 years won't have been easy at all.
Maybe Lou's wife can tell some stories there since she had to cope with a now former Captain, full time.
Especially the fellows with some responsibility in the (former) job have to face some more "obstacles" on that easy way into a confident retirement.

Not speaking about a complete loss of fun there, but at least some andropause of some kind. Hobbies help a lot I think, and being the chief test pilot at CS now is a nice one indeed.  Smiley "Lourification" is a quality sign.

I knew some former DC-10 Captain years ago and he enjoyed flying quite some years after retirement. He did all sorts of GA stuff then.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #235 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
CoolP, my wife retired almost one year ago and we're still talking!  Grin

It was fun flying for TWA. I was able to enjoy the end of the golden era of flight. After deregulation, things started to go down hill for the passengers. pj747 mentioned that most people don't dress for a flight anymore. He is correct. Some look like they just came in from doing yard work.

When I was a new F/O the Captains demanded we dress for dinner. A jacket and a collared shirt was required on layover. Times have changed. Now, only a few flights have real first class. Most of what is sold as first class is business class if that. One time back a few years I was captain on a cross country flight and noticed a fairly rumpled young fellow sitting in first class. He had dirty shorts, flip-flops and a tee shirt with a very vulgar saying in large letters. I went back into the cabin and said to him " If you want to sit in first class sir, you will have to change your shirt." Now, I know I was on pretty thin ice, but I thought this fellow went past the good taste limit. I was prepared to make him leave the plane if he did not comply. He did change his shirt and all of first class applauded as did the F/A's.

I blame the advent of the 747 for the decline in passenger decorum. People thought of the 747 as a big bus and acted accordingly. Sure the 747 "up front" in first class or in the lounge was a wonderful experience, but the up-grade thing was the end for real first class. As pass riders we could tell the other pass riders apart since we were the only folks dressed up. The up grades and other passengers seldom wore anything but blue jeans and tees. Now it's almost impossible to use a pass since the flights are always full or oversold. Getting into first is a thing of the past. I seldom ever try to use a pass. I buy my tickets on line so at least I have a seat. BTW, I still dress for the flight!  Roll Eyes

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #236 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Times change, but I think that some older habits weren't bad at all. Could be that I don't relate those things to the actual clothes of people, but more to their overall behaviour, the respect towards others, also some tolerance.
If at high levels of course, no one would appear like your example guy in public transport vehicle of any kind.
But if a thing, which was a former highlight of guy's life (flying was a thing of the rich and famous), becomes more regular and cheap, so do the people. The industry works hard to establish flying as the cheap and accessible transportation solution, even over buses and trains on shorter hauls.

I wonder what a stewardess could tell about the changed people's behaviour then. Ask one who does the short routes to certain party locations for example.
Seems like some things in our worldwide societies drives us into impolite and rude regimes, sometimes. The bad thing, some of us don't even notice it anymore.

But, who knows, maybe your first class fellow was some sort of rock star or just the younger Bill Gates.  Grin
But your engagement there showed quite some guts. You can only do this when knowing that the company supports you, the employee, in the first place. Some may fail there nowadays. That's bad manners too in my eyes.

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #237 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Lou-- quick question: Why is it that you have 727 listed before 707 on your slogan under your photo. Is that the first jet you flew?

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #238 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Yup! The progression is good until the 757, 767 since they were really the same rating. I flew the 767 for a while before the 757.

Lou

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #239 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Lou, regarding the icing (not on the cake) I wonder if all those de-ice and anti-ice stuff on planes is that effective when it comes to serious icing conditions.

I know that some birds are rather rigid in those, like some TwinOtter (NASA testbed), but how did a 707 for example handle severe icing, even with all her protective stuff enabled?
Was that a big threat?

And what are the first visible cues for a Captain to think of "I have to get the plane out of here, soon" instead of "we can handle that"?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 130
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top