Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 130 Send TopicPrint
 25 Lou - STORIES (Read 911443 times)
boeing727223

Re: Lou - STORIES
Reply #120 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Lou, thanks, I think I might just do that!  To convert the 707 to a 727 would require me to rip everything out and put in new MIP, glaresheild, yokes, rudder pedals (707 are cast iron non grid type), overhead panel, P7 circuit breaker panel (replace with 727 blank panel), replace all circuit breaker panels in the back left wall and ceiling (put in the 727 left side circuit breaker panels), put in the 727 rear wall circuit breaker panels, replace the old 707 yokes with newer 727/737 yokes (unless I built the 727-100), replace the webber straight rail seats with 727 seats (unless I built a 727-100), throttle quadrant change, and last but absolutely not least....727 flight engineer panel!  Hey, I can keep the seat balls!!  Yeah!!   Grin

CoolP - Hey, thanks man, my wife had the same reaction....she has absolutely 0 interest..all she knows is the early Boeing aircraft had "eyebrow" windows....she's lost when she see's the new NG's without them!    Cheesy

And of course my cousin thinks I should open a strip club and call it..."The cockpit"....see what I have to deal with??  Shocked

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #121 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
CoolP, just a comment on the A-380 event at JFK,

FWIW

JFK is an old airport. The inner and outer ring are too close to accommodate this big boy. Even the 747 is tight. I'm sure there are special rules that the ground control folks use to move this fat boy around the airport. The bottom line is the A-380 hit the commuter. The pilot in the A-380 is at fault even if the controller told him to taxi. Even if the commuter plane did not taxi far enough into the ramp, the A-380 pilot needs to avoid hitting the other plane. That is just basic rules of the "road." It's hard to tell from the video just how fast the airbus was going, but the fact that the RJ was spun around with such violence that the right wing actually moves up, leads me to believe it was a hard hit.

I remember flying the 747, and one of the hardest things was night taxi in the rain. The landing and taxi lights were poor in illuminating the taxi ways and I found it the hardest plane to taxi in those conditions since you were so high off the ground. When these conditions exist, one should go very slow and make sure all crew's eyes are paying attention out the window.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary....  Roll Eyes

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #122 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Lou, I don't doubt your personal mileage. I was just jumping on that "Airbus is dangerous" bias from some of the frequent Boeing Press Room readers (which I am too since the 747-8 is an interesting plane for example, but I don't get my "truth" delivered from there  Grin). Just before it really starts, I had to say some words, that's all.

I absolutely agree to the statement of yours, that the pilot of the big whale will have to take responsibility there. How much this will be and also how many other influences might have lead to this incident can't be judged be anyone of us. We both will agree there.
I think that even a hot blooded AF pilot will be of some careful character when taxing that big airliner.
Maybe he was used to the "smaller" 747-400 though (since AF drives a fleet of them too).  Tongue

I once read an interview from an Airbus official in the very early days of the A380 program. He said that they had planned for everything and, so far, experienced everything, but they never ever anticipated the negative emotions towards their product from the US side and all those little things which can be driven by those.
He states that it must be really hard for some people over there that another (and not US) company now builds bigger planes than they do.
Now, while the good engineers respect the work of others while still loving their baby of course, he seemed to describe some other emotions there and I think that some Boeing-bias around here shows what he meant to say.

After watching the very interesting and still not finished investigations towards that blown engine on the Qantas A380, this smaller incident is just another opportunity to catch some feelings there.
Some lose their objective way of arguing and start to get emotional, mostly coinciding with some kind of "truth" and "obvious facts" which have to be declared as such, because otherwise nobody would recognize them.  Cheesy
Currently, all things said about this JFK thingy will be assumptions of course, and remain for a while I think.
The only fact that I'm aware of is that this small incident will surely add fuel to the flames, because every money business is a dirty one and the aviation industry is the place where big, big money is made.
So, lets enjoy the show, the findings and the large variety truths out there.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #123 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
CoolP - Hey, thanks man, my wife had the same reaction....she has absolutely 0 interest..all she knows is the early Boeing aircraft had "eyebrow" windows....she's lost when she see's the new NG's without them!    Cheesy

And of course my cousin thinks I should open a strip club and call it..."The cockpit"....see what I have to deal with??  Shocked

Sounds like fun, that suggestion from your cousin.  Cheesy

Ah, the wives and the hobbies of their husbands. A never ending story, huh?
As long as both can run their thing and still find themselves to have the same interest on some other things, everything is fine.
I'm running the most boring hobby on the whole planet she says. She said this to my sports before (can't always take her with me there), so I'm ok.
Sometimes she listens to some online flights and says that this sounds "very professional". I don't really know if she is joking there, but I hope not.  Undecided  Cool

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #124 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
CoolP and all the rest...

I am not attacking Airbus, or any of their fleet. Lord knows Boeing has its own problems. My only statement is that the A-380 is too big for these out of date airports like JFK or any other of the worlds old airports. That said, I prefer the Boeing logic to the Airbus, but that is just the pilot in me.  Tongue

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #125 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I did not gain the impression that you are attacking any company around, Lou. Must have been a misunderstanding there.
I see your posts as informative, interesting and, of course, with the inclusion of your opinion. Nothing wrong there and far away from transporting any blind bias of some kind.
That blind bias aspect was and still is pointed at some other people, not you.

But regarding the too big statement of yours. What's the problem when the aircraft manufactures, airlines and also the authorities define that mentioned 80m-box and all agree about the provisions to be made then?
If JFK doesn't fulfil the needs there, all upcoming planes will struggle too. And, if the current ones already do, who's to blame then? The plane or the airport guys stating "it will fit" while letting the pilots run into maybe too narrow taxiways?
Now, from the situation in the video, I think that the margin for errors gets smaller with bigger planes, but hey, that's the same thing which happened in the 707 days and later on the 747 ones.
But I don't think that the taxiways at JFK missed the pre-"fit A380 check", so there will surely be some more influences when such things happen, don't you think? Otherwise it would have happened sooner since the A380s of this world already land, taxi and later start at JFK since quite some time now.

What about some cliché? French pilots with too much champagne?  Grin

IP Logged

boeing727223

Reply #126 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Hey CoolP, I hear ya!!  I've had a serious love affair with these airplanes since 'bout 1972 when I was about 3....but I also had plans of making a full scale replica of a 727 out of plywood so my wife shouldn't complain!!   Cheesy

I've since dropped the idea of making a plywood object that is 153'2" by 108' by 34'....maybe a 737??  J/K!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #127 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Just imagined my girlfriend while I'm telling her that I plan to build a full scale thing.
She's running, collecting her clothes and some money while calling the police because some insane guy entered her room.  Grin

But for real, I'm still jealous about that cockpit installation of yours.

IP Logged

boeing727223

Reply #128 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 12:17am
Print Post  
The funny thing about it is I was showing my wife all the parts and when I came across the CVR she said good because they'll need to play that back after I kill you for putting that thing in my house!!   Grin

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #129 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 2:07am
Print Post  
You even have a CVR?  Shocked
Man, I think that even Lou will get jealous about your installation when it's running.  Smiley

I saw some homebuilder threads in other forums were they describe the progress of their installations on a weekly or monthly basis. Very interesting and most, if not all, finished things are amazing then.
Maybe you can do something like this when building your stuff around the CS planes.

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #130 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Hey, CoolP. You're right about the A380, it's about the operation, not the plane itself. My point was more that if something does go wrong, the A380 is going to have more inertia behind it than a 747. Also, because the A380 is newer, the pilots flying it would not have as much experience on it as a 747 pilot could potentially have. This same thing could happen with the 747-8i, depending on how different its flight dynamics are from say, the 747-400.  Wink

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #131 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Got your point and didn't want to be insulting on it or something.
Of course, the heavy thing has some more kinetic energy to put into another one. But as the whole aircraft market covers all sizes, this is some unavoidable sideeffect of building e. g. B1900 and (when compared) huge 767 and above.
As said, they don't usually collide with lethal energy amounts, but sometimes "touch" like seen on that video.
If they collide with high speeds (means "air" then), even a small Cessna can take down a DC-9 for example. Happened at KLAS.  Undecided
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerom%C3%A9xico_Flight_498

Quote:
Also, because the A380 is newer, the pilots flying it would not have as much experience on it as a 747 pilot could potentially have.

Less experience on that plane (A380), you are right. Overall experience might come in at the same amount since the Captains on the A380 are coming from the other heavies of the corresponding fleet. Could mean A340 or 747 if the airline runs Boeing too, which more than a few do.

Quote:
This same thing could happen with the 747-8i, depending on how different its flight dynamics are from say, the 747-400.

Maybe, maybe not, because the manufactures spend quite some time on giving the plane the same feel like the older or even smaller ones. This high communality approach for example lead to the only minor cockpit changes from the 747-400 to the -8 and might also lead to a very, very similar flight feeling while still being more efficient.
Some 777 elements joined in though, that interactive checklist for example.

The whole Airbus stuff also not only shares cockpit layouts but the flight feeling too. I heard some Lufthansa Captains talking about the A380 and they said that it doesn't behave any different than the A340/A330 types, although being sized far above them. Vspeeds differ, yes, but the feel does not.
See it like on modern cars where you can choose the actual character of steering, braking and engine response by just some switch.
E. g., you don't actually see how much Aileron movement the plane uses when you move that sidestick. They've tuned it in the way that the same sidestick movement is necessary on all planes for a given bank angle, so the feel will always be the same, since the joysticks stays the same, you only change the plane.  Cheesy

This will surely not sound too sympathetic to the old school pilots, because it's full of software in between, but the newer Boeing planes (does not include the 747-8 since she was build as close to the 747-400 policies as possible) are doing just the same.
Interesting fact, the 777 and the whole Airbus bunch share the component supplier for the fly by wire installation. So what makes the difference then is just the software.
So, on some sectors of engineering, the aviation industry follows the path of the automotive one, using a wide arrangement of very similar parts but achieving a different product with the software and design setup in between and around the systems.
This of course does not include parts as wings or something, those are Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/and so on specials, but looking at the engines then, you return to the similar viewpoint as most machines are tuned for a special plane, but aren't build only for this one and from the scratch. They all belong to a family, for good reason, since the engineering there eats up huge amounts of money.
The 787 will feature a special though, coming with a non-bleedair system.

IP Logged

boeing727223

Reply #132 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Hehehe, yeah I just might have to make sure that CVR is operational after all!!   Grin

I might just do that and I have a profile on Mycockpit.org

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/album.php?albumid=69&attachmentid=2946

I was watching some Hawaii Five O today and saw some really nice B707's....my new rig should be in tomorrow and I can buy my FSX 707 and 727 from Captain Sim!  I had the FS2004 of both and love them.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #133 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 3:59am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Apr 13th, 2011 at 6:37pm:
CoolP and all the rest...

I am not attacking Airbus, or any of their fleet. Lord knows Boeing has its own problems. My only statement is that the A-380 is too big for these out of date airports like JFK or any other of the worlds old airports. That said, I prefer the Boeing logic to the Airbus, but that is just the pilot in me.  Tongue

Prefectly said Lou. But then again, if I was an Airbus rep, I'd say that the pilot in you? WHy should that matter? Because in Soviet Russia (no offense to Captain Sim guys) you fly Airbus plane!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #134 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
boeing727223 wrote on Apr 14th, 2011 at 11:55pm:
....my new rig should be in tomorrow and I can buy my FSX 707 and 727 from Captain Sim!  I had the FS2004 of both and love them.

Great idea, you will like them I think.

Quote:
Because in Soviet Russia (no offense to Captain Sim guys) you fly Airbus plane!

Well, if this isn't intended to be offensive, what does it mean then? Maybe you can explain in some more detail, Sir?

I saw your posts over at another forum, where some guy showed a video about a landing Airbus, struggling hard with the heavy crosswinds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3LKi8So_o)
You replied "If thereh ad been an accident, rather an A320 than a 757." (sic!) which seems to follow the same logic and "humour", so I'm really wondering to what kind of a guy I'm looking at.

Since you are a proud reviewer, some bias free tendency and mind is your equipment and as long as you don't explain your Airbus hate to other people, but try spreading it in such inartificial ways, nobody will take you for serious.

Nobody will ever complain about fans, stating their emotions and feelings. The A380 is ugly? Indeed! You like Boeing planes? Me too!
You try to play smart on other smart people with posting Boeing Media Room stuff, naming them "truth" or stating, that a 757 would go beyond physical influences while all Airbus things struggle? Sorry, Sir, seems like some guys on this planet are more objective than you are currently.

For me, somebody called pj747 here and slightly different in other forums has developed a big problem and should either explain them or start preparing his "arguments" in a better way, if there are any.
As I've already mentioned in the other thread, these are flight sim forums, so all flight sim fans meet and discuss their fan based emotions and experiences.
If one of them starts getting political, he should be aware that some other guys around are able to do the same while not always developing such a plump tendency.  Wink

I don't question all your posts, but the ones including the "Airbus" item don't lack of insulting tendencies and I'm not about to close my eyes on them. My suggestion: Start being a not-fan there, instead of a hater. This keeps the forums friendly and informative while your current line will draw some attention you didn't expect (it seems).
That's just my personal impression of your presence here and there, just wanting to inform you on a clear but friendly basis since I really don't know what your problem is. Smiley

I was already pointing at you with some statements to leave out the hate, seems like you didn't pick up that track there while e. g. Lou started to wonder if I'm in trouble with his (friendly and welcome) bias. See my honest apologies to Lou above and, at the same time, see my stressing on that clear "you, pj747!" here.  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 130
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top