Fuel usage? (Read 4286 times)
TurbofanDude

Programmer, B-52H and
737NG Lover

Fuel usage?
Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Hi there,
It seems that whenever the center tank emptys on the BUFF, it shuts the engines down, despite having 50% everywhere else. If I turn on all the crossfeeds and try to restart they come back and run fine.

No crossfeeds = engines shut down at the end of the center tank

why?

Should all the cross feeds be on while flying?

Thank You,&&Collin Biedenkapp,&&&&<div class="scroll" style="float: left; font-size: 10px; font-family: verdana,sans-serif; overflow: auto; max-height: 200px; width: 99%;"><br><br><a href="http://www.captainsim.com/" target="_blank">Web Site</a> | <a href="http://www.captainsim.com/support/" target="_b
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Fuel usage?
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I have done quite a few flights with empty center tanks (Center, Center 1 and Center 2) and all engines were still running. Admittedly, they were empty to start with.

I'm still figuring out the fuel system. I'm trying to work out which way a switch has to be for it to be ON or OFF. Some need to be horizontal, others vertical. It is possible that you thought a pump switch or crossfeed switch was ON when in fact it was OFF.

The ‘B-52 Driver’ FLIGHT MANUAL Part II – Aircraft and Systems isn't very clear on the fuel system. So I'm find it tricky.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

JP4JP8

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Still messing with the FMP. Captain Sim has done an excellent job recreating the panel! (As well as the rest of the cockpit!) The only things I can see missing are the Primary/Secondary Fuel Level Control Valve check switch and the CG/FLAS system, neither of which are show stoppers by any means.

I have discovered that the knobs don't turn the correct way. But this doesn't seem to effect the operation of the system.

IP Logged

HvyEng

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:08am
Print Post  
As general rule, if the "V" point towards the flowline, the pumps are on, if it crosses, they are off. If the line crosses the flow line, the valve is closed, if it lines up, it is open. I modified the textures to add the missing flowlines and valve lines, but the admin has not returned my message to let me know if it is OK to release it or not.

In the attached photo,
the left external is feeding engines 7 & 8
R Outboard and R external are deadheading (pressure but no flow)
and Pylons 1,2,and3 are being fed by their respective main tank.

Remember "Source-Force-and-A-Place-to-Go.

--Dan

FuelPanel_Day_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Hi Dan.

Because some of the flow lines are missing, it isn't always easy to tell iff the are on or not.

Some of the Fuel Tank Pump Switches are horizontal, others vertical. Same applies to the Crossflow Valve Switches. As a general rule, I have been using them as you have said, if it doesn't point/follow the lines, it must be off. So far it seems to be correct.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

HvyEng

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Super-Duper decoder key:

All fuel valves are shaped and oriented the same way (Boeings KISS). Vertical is on (matches the flow lines); Horizontal is off, (crosses the flow lines).

All wing tank and the aft body fuel pumps have a "V" shape, and are positioned vertically. Points away= pumps on. Crosses the line = off.

FWD, CTR, MID body tank fuel pumps have a "V" shape, and are positioned horizontally. Points away= pumps on. Crosses the line = off.

There is a method to the madness, the missing flowlines only really help dicipher where in the manifold the lines enter. Remember, this system was designed so a co-pilot couldn't screw it up. As soon as I get approval from Captain Sim I will post the .dds files fixing the fuel lines & lights.

--Dan

IP Logged

Lost in Isaan

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Thank you Dan for your efforts, in the mean can you tell us how you managed this camera angle? I find the co-pilots yoke very annoying when trying to access the fuel panels.

Regards Bruce

This message has been sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Hinze bake bean cans and piano wire!

IP Logged

HvyEng

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
No worries, I hope they help.

For the fuel panel view, install the cameras views located here:

http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1292190724

Then right click anywhere and select Cockpit -> Fuel Panel

--Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1