Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Flight model -THE ONLY TREAD (Read 18829 times)
Lost in Isaan

Re: Flight model -THE ONLY TREAD
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Have to agree the 1.66 scalar is much more realistic BUT it's quite a change from 0.60. Where did this figure get derived?

Also been looking at the fuel flow errors and it looks to me like when they applied the flow rates to the individual gauges they didn't divide the rate by 2.

I found the area in the ...\Model\CS_B52_interior.MDL file where they handled the variables and can see where they used them but there is no divider that I can see amongst the gobbly goop eg.
(A:TURB ENG1 FUEL FLOW PPH,pounds per hour) 2 /
Obviously I do not have the ability to edit the MDL file anyway.

Regards Bruce

This message has been sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Hinze bake bean cans and piano wire!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Interesting findings, Lost in Isaan.
I think we could use some charts to compare the fuel burn to the sim values.
I was at a FL490 cruise with 0.85 and had around 21.00lbs/hr on the individual gauges while the sum up gauge showed 17.000 or so. I have no idea if this is close to real, but at least it's far away from the too economic flying with 0.60. Would be interesting to find out which fuel burn rate is closer to the real values there to pinpoint the faulty gauge.

I think if CS alters the fuel burn and the drag curve at lower altitudes, this fun thing will be as realistic as it could be for the placement in the market and the very nice price.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
What if the Fuel Flow and the Drag Curve are co-related and if you increase/decrease one, it affects the other? I don't know if it does but it could.

It's like if you sit on the runway with the brakes on and apply full power. Your aircraft might move down the runway, fuel flow will be high, but you may never have enough speed to attain lift. Maybe it's similar: Higher drag - requires more power - so it consumes more fuel.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #18 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I don't know if the relationship can be described that easy, Mark. But you right, the edited fuel flow might have to be edited again if CS increases the drag component.

My problem isn't the overall speed of the bird (it's a powerful one, no doubt) but the too fast acceleration after TO and with gear and flaps going up.
Normally, setting climb thrust and pitching the plane up will establish ATC approved speeds but on this one, it all happens too fast from e. g. 180 knots to 300.
I can't remember any B-52 videos where the engines where throttled back that much together with a need to pitch up by such huge amounts.

So an increased drag should hold back this fighter like acceleration tendency in the sim, not more, not less.
The later climb phases look good to me, the initial 10.000ft are the problem in my eyes.

IP Logged

Lost in Isaan

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
After days of testing over many flight variants I find the fuel_flow_scalar   = 1.00 is the most realistic giving me up to 7200 NM range. At 1.66 the most I could manage was 5500 NM.

Probably not the correct thread to bring this up, but. While doing these tests I came across another problem. On several occasions 3 out of the 4 banks of engines shutdown suddenly even though there is plenty of fuel in the Mains and Aux tanks. They restart quite easily if I have enough altitude and grab it in time. Any one else?

Regards Bruce

This message has been sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Hinze bake bean cans and piano wire!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
No bank issue here but I'll try that fuel flow value, thanks.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Just in case, a reminder.
Thanks to the hard work from TurbofanDude and HvyEng, everybody can now try some nice fixes on not only the flight model. Really worth a try in my eyes. Thanks guys!
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1296605980

IP Logged

VeryBumpy

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
So is there any verdict?

I assume everyone went with TurboFanDude's mod file and settled with that.

I've just started flying this bird and find it like a rocket. I'm overspeeding and ruining flaps in just a few seconds after leaving the ground for pete's sake.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top