Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 Starting Engines on B-52 Driver (Read 88318 times)
pblkjck

Starting Engines on B-52 Driver
Dec 12th, 2010 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Hi. I''ve tried for several hours to get the engines started on this thing since I upgrade to it with no luck. I'm older and my vision isn't the best and this panel dosen't help since some buttons have tool tips and some don't, and the panels aren't the easiest to read. Here again tool tips would help. So if anyone who has got this flying knows an easy way to get this fired up and can help I would greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Starting Engines on B-52 Driver
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Try this:

On the Co-Pilots Side Panel.

B14. BATTERY SWITCH PANEL -
Turn on the Battery Switch (Shift+M) - Pressing Shift+M also turns on the 4 Generator Switches listed in the next section.

B01. ELECTRICAL PANEL -
Turn ON the Main External Power Switch.
Turn ON the 4 Generator Switches.
Turn the Frequency And Voltmeter Selector Switch to CENTRAL TIP BUS

B07. ENG START CONTROL PANEL
Turn on the Starter Switches for the engine you want to start first, they are in pairs (1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and 7 & 8).

I'm working on something more substantial, but I can and did get them started that way. Also. I did pull all engines into reverse (F2), then I returned them to the stop position (F1), then move them slightly forward of the stop (F3). I do this when N2 reaches 20%.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

pblkjck

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help. I got the engines started but never got off the ground. I realized why I don't fly any airplanes with this 3D cockpit only. Plus I'm not tring to be a real pilot so I don't need to study hours before I can fly the thing. To much like work. I un-installed this airplane and went back to the buff model with my panel that I can fly with the time I have. The money lost on this is a lesson learned. Thanks again.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I agree to fsxpaul, don't give up yet. You've bought the "Driver" so there isn't a simple on/off switch and there surely isn't too much detail but something in between.

I'm actually really glad about some more or less tricky things and the standard cockpit from the Buff version might have been tricky to new pilots too, don't you think? You have just got used to it and the same approach might be needed here.
Enjoy your stuff, this nice B-52 is worth some reading at the beginning.

As you see, one just has to wait some days to see those video tutorials coming up. Maybe they help you then. I appreciate the work from those guys.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
The trusty old default CTRL+E will get your engines started if you don't want to do it the way I mentioned earlier. I just thought that you meant a manual engine start. There are probably still a few switches that you need to turn on or you might have problems.

These are the GYRO POWER switches for Pilot and Co-Pilot, MACH IND, YAW and PITCH ENGAGE switches and the FLIGHT DIRECTOR switch. I can't think of any others that MUST be ON. ANTI SKID should be ON but it flies fine if it is OFF (I don't know about landing without it).

Just keep trying. You will get there.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

pblkjck

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Thanks folks. I'm back where I started before "Driver" and flying the "Buff" along without a hitch. Thanks again to everyone for your help. One question to the folks at Captain Sim though and that is, if you are going to add tool tips to some buttons why not all? OOPS maybe that's not logical thinking because it might help the learning curb for an old guy like me. Forgive my little rant. Thanks again everyone, lol, bye.

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

B-52 Driver Engine Start Sequence
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I've put together a video that shows one method of an engine starting sequence.
There is NO SOUND in the video! Maybe I'll fix that later  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J_H4vWD57M

IP Logged

deepsea345

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
hmm, tried the same sequence as the video but still no dice on my end...

and CTRL+E is not working for me as well

would like to get the BUFF started and flying already!

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 12:58am
Print Post  
I have found two important things I have to do to start the engines.

When you first get into the B-52, pull the throttles all the way back. Hold F2 until they stop (I can get by with just tapping the F2 key to pull the throttle levers below 0%).
As I start each engine, I must move the throttle forward beyond the Stop position.

Here is the way I do it.

Starting engine #3 first (not sure if it is the correct checklist procedure).
I press the "E" key followed by the "3" key. Once it reaches 20% N2, I press F1 then F3. I really only need to tap both of those keys once. Once the engine is running I press F1 again to bring the throttle lever back to 0%.
I do this for engines #4, #2 & #1.

"E" key followed by "4" key for engine #4.
"E" key followed by "2" key for engine #2.
"E" key followed by "1" key for engine #1.

To get control of ALL the engines I press the "E" key followed by "1" "2" "3" "4" keys (in quick succession).

If you have a Yoke or Joystick with throttle reverser, I would think that you should be able start your engines easily.

I can start my engines first time very time using that method.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

corkyo4

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I am thinking of buying the B52 but i am concerned that people are having issues starting up. I have read that some people can only get engines 4-8 going but then engines 1-2 shut down the whole plane.

Are these issues due to the nature of the B52 systems, or is it that there is a bug that is yet to be resolved?

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Just recheked, engines starting up OK. From our cold flight it runs with Ctrl+E like a charm.

Most likely all issues here have been caused by wrong throttle/cutoff positions.

This is a magic formula from Bill Gates:
Ctrl+Shift+F4  then F1  then Ctrl+E

IP Logged

fsxpilot

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Captain Sim wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
Just recheked, engines starting up OK. From our cold flight it runs with Ctrl+E like a charm.

Most likely all issues here have been caused by wrong throttle/cutoff positions.

This is a magic formula from Bill Gates:
Ctrl+Shift+F4  then F1  then Ctrl+E

i did  all of this and still no fuel flow,is there a way to start it like real cold and dark coming out the box like the PPMMDDGG 747 where u have a cold and dark mission and a rdy to go mission,fsx always start it with some control open,ive been on this since about 4 hours and no result,the manuel is useless for this part and i watched the no sound video and half of comment is the same prob as me help me thx

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
You can start engines short way (using FSX hotkeys) of a long way (using cockpit controls), whatever it is but fuel cutoff must be OFF (Ctrl+Shift+F4) and trottle at IDLE (F1) BEFORE ignition.

Again, most likely all issues mentioned here have been caused by wrong throttle/fuel cutoff valve positions.

IP Logged

fsxpilot

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim wrote on Dec 16th, 2010 at 3:57pm:
You can start engines short way (using FSX hotkeys) of a long way (using cockpit controls), whatever it is but fuel cutoff must be OFF (Ctrl+Shift+F4) and trottle at IDLE (F1) BEFORE ignition.

Again, most likely all issues mentioned here have been caused by wrong throttle/fuel cutoff valve positions.

still not working,by doing ur magic formula u just ear fake engine start and the sound is just glitchy,u always think ohhh ohhh its gonna start and no the sound start again even on 128time faster no result

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 5:38am
Print Post  
I've added a new video that shows a fast start from Cold-n-Dark (there's audio this time!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZppl-3KWo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top