Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Microsoft Flight - compatibility with addons (Read 8717 times)
JoshH

Microsoft Flight - compatibility with addons
Dec 1st, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Hej to anyone,

what do you think, will the next flight simulator (Microsoft Flight) work with todays addons? Maybe someone has something new about that.

I hope so, but I think probably it will not be compatible. What do you think?

Josh

IP Logged

Edwin

Re: Microsoft Flight - compatibility with addons
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 8:02am
Print Post  
i don't think the current addons will work with the new upcoming flight simulator.

also i think just like what happend with FSX that it will be only working better on really high end pc's if you want to enjoy more of everything combined with the graphics.

FSX was a big hog on the systems when it was released and still with descent hardware you still can have huge FPS issues. 

I think i will pass on the new flightsystem, since i bought quite some scenery addons in the past few months and dont have the unlimited fund to upgrade them constantly Smiley

IP Logged

Alex56

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 9:46am
Print Post  
You can write comments or feedback to Microsoft Flight. I did that to tell them, that I would not buy the next Flight Simulation if it is not fully compatible with FSX-addons for the reason Edwin has already said.

Everyone should do this as well. Maybe they will react.

Feedback e-mail: msflight@microsoft.com

Alex

IP Logged

tonibamestre

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Hey, I sent some suggestions to Micro team concerning the new Sim development.One of them was the possibility to have fully damage models-sceneries and extended combat effects and capability.
The reason is that given that we have available military platforms,accurate fighters and so,why dont make an ALL IN ONE Simulator ?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 11:18am
Print Post  
There is always the possibility that there may be backwards compatibility. FSX does have it, but some modifications were needed to make them look better. That is why there was a flood of FSX updates to the then current FS9 addons (at least there was with aircraft). Over time there came the native FSX addon aircraft. It just took the developers a while to learn the new ways of FSX. It might be the same for Microsoft Flight. Only time will tell.

I had not bothered with scenery addons in FS9. I have only done that since FSX. So I can't really say that side went.

Well that's my two bobs worth.

Mark

EDIT: Microsoft's policy on the MS Flight Simulator series has always been that they are made for computers that are not yet available. This, supposedly, means that they will have a longer life. I know it took me a few years before I had a powerful enough computer to be able to get a good performance from FS9. It was/is the same for FSX.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

SvennX

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 10:08am
Print Post  
The graphics in the video on Microsofts website are looking very near to FSX graphics. Of course there is a difference with aircraft shadow and visibility of the landscape. But runway, trees, cockpit ... it all looks like the graphics of FSX. Maybe Microsoft Flight will provide a new core engine, but with the same way of using 3d objects, textures and so on.

Webisode 2 http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

... Microsoft should make it FSX-addon-compatible . If not, it would be another stupid Microsoft-decision, like not really use multiple cores in FSX.

IP Logged

High Iron

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 5:44am
Print Post  
"make FSX add-on's compatible in MS Flight"

There in lies the very problem that we have today. In order to ensure new products are compatible with old ones means old code must also be retained. Because a certain level of backward compatibility has always been maintained in MSFS, equates to a lot of the problems we have today when it comes to FPS issues. Some of the code in FSX dates back as far as FS 2000, and the only way to make it run fast is with sheer computer horsepower. It is likely a fact that if Microsoft threw away any and all compatibility that you would actually see a much faster, much more capable simulator. In fact you would get more detail with less computer resources. Sometimes in order to fix something, one has to completely break it. I'm getting the impression that this is what Microsoft has in fact done.

At first this may cause fear, naturally as add-on's can certainly add up on the financial side. But at the same time, it also allows developers to introduce new features that can never be implemented under the present code being used without once again unacceptable performance hits or requiring even more PC horsepower, which is really a bad way of going about it. This is why FSX requires so much PC horsepower, it's using 10 year old inefficient code. One must take some joy in the fact that the models themselves are always going to be pretty much forward compatible, it's the systems and flight dynamics that will need to be re-done which will take the most investment in time. This gives me comfort that the C.S. models in use today, will eventually migrate into any new simulator that Microsoft puts out after the system reworking has been done. One such example is working weather radar. Currently it is impossible to do with the current coding in FSX. If "new" old format coding/subroutines were inserted into the program, your computer would now be even further bogged down. Simply put, when it comes to flight simulators, a major rework is in order. Just making a 64 bit version alone would create huge improvements even with current specs of mid range computer rigs.

In conclusion, it is actually the desire to retain the past, that keeps us from moving forward where we currently should be and want to be. If this was not the case, all programs today would be 64 bit code and we would all be enjoying the leaps and bounds that it possess, but instead, we still see most programs still using the very old less efficient 32 bit system and we remain within its confines. Why? Because most people still use 32 bit systems, and are lucky to upgrade hardware every 8 - 10 years. Although I too hate it, I have come to understand that to get the flight simulator I seek in the future with all the features I want, Microsoft needs to finally tear down the 15 year old building, and start from scratch and use technology from 2010 forward, to create a leaner, meaner, and more resource efficient flight simulator. Doing so will not discard FSX third party content, it will just mean they; (third party creators), will have to reprogram it and adopt its newer more capable features. In the end we will all benefit from it and eventually realize that at some time, this must happen for improvements to continue in our little addiction.

Cheers,
Thad

Intel i7- 980X OC 4.5GHz | 24GB DDR3 1600 RAM | EVGA GTX690 | ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard | Corsair AX1200 PSU | 500Gb Samsung SSD (Prepar3D dedicated) | Windows 10 Pro 64

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
It'll be a real shame if they don't make it compatible and affordable for those of us that are using 32bit sytems still today. It would be nice ,at least for me, to be able to purchase and install in my current machine,instead of considering buying a totally new one for "flight"Because that wold be an investement;
Of course that just me...

<div class=
IP Logged

oliveone

pilot since 1958;B52C,D,E,F,G
vet; C-130D vet

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
great observation, High! as a retired software exec, I concur with all your comments. A clean slate MSFS would be great. Users of previous versions could still use them until ready to move on. The flight sim community seems robust enough to welcome a fresh entry.

IP Logged

Dino1981

Microsoft FLIGHT - developement pictures
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 4:26pm
Print Post  

It looks like, that there is not such a big difference between the engines. Perhaps it will be compatible.

more developement pictures from FLIGHT

&&

IP Logged

TenBlade

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
One could speculate if not M$ will provide instant, downloadable add-ons?! They'd control who can make and provide scenery, planes etc. and skim off on those purchases. Score is 2-0 for M$.

Bjorn

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Yes. I think that Microsoft Flight will be quite demanding. I think Microsoft is making a mistake making online play the main motive (although free flight or a new name for offfline play is available). I will stick with FSX, get my system perfect for it and get high-end add-ons to make it just splendid. I'll purchase Microsoft Flight to see how it is, and mess to see if older add-ons can be put into Flight without editing (as some fS2004 add-ons).  his new product will be in my opinion, not as in-depth as the FLight Simulator series,mainly because they try to grab a bigger audience, and online play.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
If Microsoft Flight starts out like FS9 and FSX, I'll buy it, but my computer will probably not run it very well. It always takes me around three years to get a powerful enough computer after every release. I even had that problem with FS98! Roll Eyes

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Karolina

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
When there will not be graphic issues, fps issues, texture issues and so on, I do not care about compatibility with fsx. I will buy another better looking and optimized addons. I hope Captain sim will make addons for Flight in future too.

i5-750 2,7Ghz&&ATI HD5850 1Gb&&8Gb Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz&&500Gb WD Black 7200 - System&&2Tb WD Green edition 7200 USB 3&&24" 1920x1080 LED&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Karolina wrote on Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:55pm:
When there will not be graphic issues, fps issues, texture issues and so on, I do not care about compatibility with fsx. I will buy another better looking and optimized addons. I hope Captain sim will make addons for Flight in future too.

The worst part about the release of a new version of Flight Sim, is the learning of the new creation method required. That's why it can take a while for the next generation addons to make an appearance.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

nightflyer

Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:18am
Print Post  
I would much rather see MS Flight redesigned from scratch. If too much emphasis is placed on making it compatible with existing add-ons then it's more likely to end up becoming a bug filled mess.

It's also a great idea to move more towards flying in an online virtual environment. Real time weather, other users sharing one common airspace. Great possibilities for virtual airlines, air forces, simulated economics (FS Economy). The ability to automatically update airspace, nav data, ect. as it changes in the real world.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:58am
Print Post  
nightflyer wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:18am:
I would much rather see MS Flight redesigned from scratch. If too much emphasis is placed on making it compatible with existing add-ons then it's more likely to end up becoming a bug filled mess.

It's also a great idea to move more towards flying in an online virtual environment. Real time weather, other users sharing one common airspace. Great possibilities for virtual airlines, air forces, simulated economics (FS Economy). The ability to automatically update airspace, nav data, ect. as it changes in the real world.
I'm with you 100% on that. Many won't. They have paid a lot of money for their addons and not being able to carry them forward upsets them.

As you say. Backwards compatibility is holding up the of advancement Flight Simulator. It's time to move on. Let's hope that MS Flight is a completely new flight simulator.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top