Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Will the Captain get the 707 INS? (Read 8503 times)
Sayuuk

Will the Captain get the 707 INS?
Nov 20th, 2010 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I was just wondering. Will you add the INS from the 707 to the B52?

Because if you'd choose to do so it would make this product far more versatile even though being "basic" in terms of systems modeling.

I'd love to fly this baby around the world with something more than the default GPS =) (and I imagine a lot of people would, too)

Thanks,

Stefan

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Re: Will the Captain get the 707 INS?
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately the INS will not be included into the B-52 pack.  
But anyone can install freeware INS separately.

IP Logged

oliveone

pilot since 1958;B52C,D,E,F,G
vet; C-130D vet

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
It would really be cool to have a periscopic sextant so we could navigate around the world using the stars and the HO 249 tables, as we did in the "wayback days (first twenty years of the BUFF).

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
If the INS can drive that AP (which I think it can), I will offer some popup gauge implementation for this bird soon.
Should be the same as on my 727 and 707 modifications, so nothing new.

I just need some time to check the plane myself, so "a few days" might be the most precise answer here. Maybe Mark or some other guy comes up with a implementation in the meantime.
As far as I can see, the normal technique can be used here, no rocket science needed.  Smiley

I also suggest a 2D Autopilot popup as seen on the 707 for easier operation, especially when aiming for a fixed climb rate.

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I installed the CIVA INS (single unit) and it works perfectly.

Below are the following section additions:
Always make a back-up first!

(Shift+1 brings up the icons)

[Window Titles]
Window02=INS Control Display Unit
window03=INS Mode Select Unit
window04=INS ADEU

[Window00]
;CIVA
gauge02=../civa/INS!CduPanelIcon,   0,  652, 24, 24, 11041
gauge03=../civa/INS!MsuPanelIcon,   0,  676, 24, 24, 11040
gauge04=../civa/INS!AdeuPanelIcon,  0,  700, 24, 24, 11042
gauge05=../civa/INS!NavModeSingle,  0,  724, 24, 43

;CIVA
[Window02]
size_mm=200,195
background_color=16,16,16
window_pos=0.804, 0.500
position=0
visible=0
ident=11041
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Cdu1, 0, 0, 200, 195

[Window03]
size_mm=200,71
window_pos=0.804, 0.756
position=0
visible=0
ident=11040
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Msu1, 0, 0, 200, 71

[Window04]
size_mm=200,100
window_pos=0.804, 0.847
position=8
visible=0
ident=11042
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Adeu1, 0, 0, 200, 100

[VCockpit01]
gauge14=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0,  0, csb52

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I have another one, looking like this, but thumbsup on your thing, fsxpaul.
Personal preference may decide. I have the dual setup again, update flags included and a dual nav switch. Backlit buttons too, so mainly like on my 727 and 707 stuff. Icons are on the CS icons panel.

Just showing the buttons and the arrangement here. The description will be a separate thread I think.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:37am
Print Post  
The only problem I have with a single INS over a Dual INS is that I can't seem to realign it. On a long distance flight I found (in the 707) that I was quite a long way from the waypoint I wanted to cross. KSEA to PHNL was a classic example of this.

If I have missed something in the CIVA-INS documentation that can sort this out, I'd be happy to hear it.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Are you suggesting that a duel INS set-up doesn't require updating? Or as much?
Anybody flying over open water (KSEA-PHNL) will not be able to update their INS due to the lack of VORs/DMEs regardless of a single or double INS configuration.  A triple INS...maybe that would work better  Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Hi Paul.

Sorry if I have confused you. It's like this:

Single INS = No realignment in-flight = I can't get it to work. But I could be doing something wrong.
Dual INS = I CAN realign it in-flight = I can get it to work as it says in the CIVA-INS documentation.

In the KSEA - PHNL when I got within range of the VORs I couldn't get the INS to realign so I was quite a few miles off my chosen course/waypoints.

I hope I have cleared that up for you.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I never tried a single unit operation as it doesn't allow this

while the two unit one (which seems to be a virtual three unit one) allows this mode and delivers a high accuracy.

The manual states
Quote:
3 DME  POSITION  UPDATING
The INS positions may be updated by a single or dual DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). Optimum single updating may be obtained selecting a DME station “off track”, at least 15 NM off the intended track, and within 200NM of range. Optimum dual DME updating is obtained tuning a second DME along track.

Maybe you are using ontrack VORs then which don't allow the best single mode update.
Where there any single unit planes flying at any time? I can recall at least two visible units in the cockpits I saw so far, that's why I always go for the dual solution.

By the way, it would be nice to see independent HSI units on the B-52 Driver. You can currently tune two Nav radios but you only get one showing up on the Captain's and FO's side.

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 3:33am
Print Post  
I understand now Mark.

I did try the duel INS in the 727 at first and found the updating to be quite fast when using on-track and off-track together. Then I tried just the on-track updating and was okay with the slightly longer update time. If you use enough VOR/DMEs in your flight plan the accuracy will stay at '1' when just using on-track updating. Also a duel set-up takes up too much screen space as I leave the CDU showing most of my flight. I could describe how I update my single unit if that would be helpful.
I also look at it this way: I'm in this hobby as a learning experience and to have fun. I understand the operations and principles of the INS unit. I really don't want to over burden myself by looking up off-track VORs online to find out the elevation info and manually enter that data into the second INS unit. No lives will be lost if I mess-up! (I hope)  Undecided

Paul

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for that CoolP.

The two VOR with DME (at least I believed they were DME) were definitely "off track". VOR CHK was "on track" so I chose VOR MKK (which is supposed to be DME), but it didn't update and my course was off by quite a few miles. I started the DME  POSITION  UPDATING once MKK was less than 100nm away.

I had read the information about the DME updating AND had the document open in Acrobat, so I thought I was doing it correctly. It is most likely that I stuffed it up somewhere, somehow. I just don't know what I got wrong. Embarrassed

WAIT! I think I know what I might have done wrong. The "off track" VORs elevation! Maybe I entered the wrong elevation. I'll have to give it a try later and see. Thanks Paul it was this line that triggered this thought: I really don't want to over burden myself by looking up off-track VORs online to find out the elevation info and manually enter that data into the second INS unit.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 12:06am
Print Post  
You guys are absolutely right, the fun is the main thing on flying the sim. There will always be a "too much" and also "not enough" in everyones eyes and it's hard to find the right spot for all people.

A question towards the update, Mark. Does the update flag show that there actually is an update going on?

You can, most of the time, completely drop the elevation data, it's optional while you should be accurate on the position of course.
The closer you are to VORs with that DME and the lower you fly above them, the more important the elevation data could become although it never really reaches critical values.
"Update" means a constant measurement from the CDU units and isn't bound to that one moment when passing the VOR station but to the numerous others when you've passed that thing.

Enter nothing and 0ft is assumed for its elevation.

An example.
Being right above an VOR at 37000ft, will give you a DME reading of 6,089532587 (which would be really accurate for our cockpit instruments, they will show "6.1" instead).
If the VOR was some hundred feet higher than 0, lets say 600, the DME reading is 5,99078341, so the instruments show "6.0".
I don't how the INS handles elevation data when you are very close but I assume a focus on the actual DME readings as they get more accurate when being closer.

As said, fly lower and let that VOR be at higher elevations and the error gets bigger, but since you mainly need DME updates at higher FL, you will often enough find yourself traveling well above them.
The error component isn't big there and if you are not exactly above them (which will be the case most of the time since you don't hover there), the distance between you and that thing is the vital part.
This distance is shown on the DME gauges and the real distance is calculated then since the DME readings shows the hypotenuse of that right-angled triangle.
Being exactly above the station, there is no triangle but this situation takes place just in theory. So most of the time, your "hypotenuse measurement" and the accuracy in the readings there play the big role together with a good and accurate initial alignment of the INS at the departure airport.

Also, the height component comes in at the "feet" value while you travel fast enough to collect quite some nm on the distance component. Approximately 6,076 feet in 1nm.
Since both components get into calculations on their square value, the nautical miles gain quite some strength over the maybe height deviation as you travel along.

The more you travel away from that thing, the more insignificant the elevation gets.
The whole system of your position calculation has quite some vague values in it too. The coordinates of the VOR are entered in not so exact values (only few digits), your VOR DME receiver has internal fluctuations, the signal itself is under influences of various things .. those influences gain strength when getting away from the station, so the inaccuracy there is normal and quite high when compared to that missing elevation data (which just causes deviations of some feet).

So in short, the update doesn't depend hugely on the elevation data and the double update with one station on track and another one offtrack is the best thing to do, with or without elevation data but regularly done.
The INS will always stay far away from GPS based units but even those use DME updates on the FMC birds.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:11am
Print Post  
A question towards the update, Mark. Does the update flag show that there actually is an update going on?
I do not recall seeing anything about updating at all.

As for the rest. A very good explanation and I appreciate it (just not the headache it gave me).

"hypotenuse" - Now that's a word I haven't heard since I was in high school many, many years ago! Grin

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Smiley No problem, Mark, all those nasty little words from back in the days seem to come back at you when you catch that flying by the numbers.
Don't expect me to be an expert, I just investigate somehow and could be very wrong on some things too. Always willing to learn.

So I'm always thankful for manuals and stuff giving insights. Although my ordinary work should give me one too on some aspects, I seem to be the better listener/reader in the after work hours.  Grin

I had a nice table once where they showed the accuracy of "common" (INS isn't common anymore) navigation instruments. Those GPS based units advanced it by a large margin, although there are many variants of them, not all able to be described as "GPS based".
Here's a good one too from Wikipedia.

(looks black, but click it and it lightens up)

The main factor on every GPS thingy is the usability in my eyes. Even the older FMC driven aircraft update their stuff on the fly (by all means) and the pilot just checks.
Flying INS based means constant attention, lots of error sources when entering data and awkward display codes to read.

So back to your update, the green "update" flag should come on when performing DME updates. If it stays off, something was entered the wrong way, the signal was lost or the procedure never started.

Another indicator, if you don't use the flag instrument, is the FROM-TO display (No.7).

Switch to the WAYPT position and look how that display performs considering 4) in that list.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top