Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
VATSIM Flying with the 727/707 (Read 7085 times)
Edwin

VATSIM Flying with the 727/707
Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Hi,

I'm looking at the ability to expand my flying experience and was thinking of flying on VATSIM.

I created an account on VATSIM and the local DUTCHVACC and started asking questions how and what.

I love to fly the 727 and 707, but people are start responding me that it will be difficult flying those aircrafts, because it has no FMC..
So someone tipped me to install VAS-FMC, but i dont get the aircraft following the route i entered.

A probably do something wrong, but don't know what.. Otherwise, any other tips i could use?

I really would like to fly those, but the tell me i should get a more recent aircraft with FMC. I have the 757 and 767 from CS, but have troubles flying with the FMC.. (not climbing to the correct cruise altitude, no descent from cruise alt. and when i insert hdg, its not working)( i followed the sticky post from aussie with the detailed FMC tutorial)

Thanks!

Edwin

IP Logged

simbiosi

Re: VATSIM Flying with the 727/707
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Two days ago I made my first flight with the 727 CS in FSX, I never done before for performance meaning. I really enjoy it, I used the civia all along the route from KMEM to KMIA and at the end I was vectored form ATC to land safely on rwy 26L.
I had to say that KMIA is hard in framerate even on default scenery, I got around 10-12 in framerate at the arrival wich was annoyng.
I used also as backup vasFMC just in case that atc ask for particular procedure where  FIX can be hard to find with vor navigation.
I used Vasfmc also in a couple of flight offline without any problem I just active HDG SEL on the 727 autopilot and active AP couple in VAsFMC and it follow nicely the route.
If you have a good and powerfull PC with a lot's of ram I think should be fine and other area in FSX are more FPS friendly then florida.
Have fun on the 727 office and see you up in the vatsim sky Wink

IP Logged

javiercuellar

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I fly 727 because it doesn't have FMC. I like to do it my self, following chars, that is the challenge.

Inserting the route in FMC, then take-off, engage AP.... after a while come back and land... all the flight challenge disapear.

I fly in Vatsim and Ivao with 727.

IP Logged

Samdr

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Edwin,

I've seen the disussion on the Dutch vacc forum. My opinion is really different from those people.
You can perfetly fly this beauty on the VATSIM network.
Just file VOR's or airways with VOR's in it. If this is  not possible beause of complaining controllers  Grin, just use VAS FMC, which is really handy!

Gr
Sam

IP Logged

Edwin

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 9:33am
Print Post  
thanks sam Smiley

i tried it with vasfmc, but it didnt work... my AC went a complete different direction Smiley

i will have to give it another try and see how it works..

IP Logged

Captain Mike

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Controllers really should not be dictating to you what kind of equipment your aircraft should or should not have.  The reality is that aircraft like the 707 and 727 are very popular in the Flight Sim community, and most controllers I've come across are going to be very understanding.  I used to fly the 727 regularly online for a virtual airline and had no problems.

However, it should be noted that it's perfectly possible to fly the same kind of routes that FMC-equipped modern aircraft fly with the equipment the 707 and 727 have.  All you need is the VOR and the DME and a chart, all an intersection is is the point where two radials from a VOR intersect.

So, basically, even if controllers give you guff about flying VOR to VOR, the only thing limiting you flying the same route as a 737NG is your own ability.  Get a chart, and start practicing flying to intersections.  It's not that hard, and you'll actually be flying like a real pilot, instead of just being a button pusher!

IP Logged

javiercuellar

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
In any case, if you don't have charts or don't know where an intersection is, the controller can guide you to get there. At least a good one should do it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top