Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
How to brake correctly? (Read 2372 times)
707captain

How to brake correctly?
Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Dear 707-Pilots,

I found out, that the brakes ant the power of the reversers seems to be by far to strong. When I hit the brake button konb of my stick, speed is decreasing very rapidly. Watching the window view videos of Sahas 707 I noticed, that the "stop roll" is much longer in reality and the plane remains at higher speed for a longer time. 
Is there a way to rework those forces somewhere in the acft cfg file?
Right now, I do not use the wheel brakes at all while the reversers are on, only below ~ 70 knots
How do real pilots stop their aircraft?

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: How to brake correctly?
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Pressing the button enables all simulated power on the FSX runways with best friction values all the time and no dirt, moisture or other things simulated.

I you would switch from on-off buttons to e. g. pedals, you could alter this behavior somehow and make it more realistic. Currently, with the button, you are going digital with on-off braking. Hard to simulate a real reaction then.
I doubt that the real pilots jump on the pedals after touchdown like this key press simulates (going from 0 to 100% in milliseconds), so at least the beginning of the process would be far more gentle with pedals.

There might also be some addons around to simulate runway conditions.

IP Logged

AKSledhead

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
In the aircraft.cfg you see:

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale=0.85

Just play around and reduce that 0.85 to give you a more realistic braking...  I usually do this on all jets that brake a bit too much.

IP Logged

fontaine32

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Depending on the length of runway, pilots in 707 and even 727, used reversers and speedbrakes mainly and used pedal braking at the end of the landing roll, turning off the runway and tight turns and such..  Ease up on the reverse thrust also if landing on a long runway..  Today in real flying is different though, so much traffic, so little time and space... Touchdown, reverse, autobrakes and get the hell off the runway even at large airports and controllers tell you what taxiway to plan for on final if it's busy and it's usually one where you have to slam on the brakes.. That's why airliners today go thru brakes and tires like socks.. cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top