Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Win7 32 or 64 bits system ? (Read 4954 times)
PeterL

Win7 32 or 64 bits system ?
Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Hi all,
As the 707 is my favorite plane I had no doubts in buying this addon, great plane and fantastic cockpit !  So far I tried a couple of flights but after take-off there is that message "your system ran out of memory".
It seems it only happens after switching views a couple of times. Yesterday I made a flight from  Oakland to Seattle in cockpitview only (without changing views) and no problems here. I've been told my 32-bits system should be the cause. Could it be that 707 captain should run more stable on a 64-bits version?
Some advice please

Greetings from The Netherlands

Peter

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Win7 32 or 64 bits system ?
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hi Peter.

64 bits is the way of the future. I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit with 8GB of RAM and I'm planning on getting another 8GB of RAM in the not too distant future. A 32bit system has a maximum capability of using 4GB of RAM and no more. I have no problems at all running FSX on my computer.

I say go with a 64bit OS because it has plenty of room for expansion. 232=4GB, 264=17.2billion GB! That number makes my mind boggle!

I have never suffered an "Out Of Memory" issue. Not even before I moved to a 64bit system. Something else might be causing that problem. Try turning some of the sliders down a bit (until it stops happening).

Mark

NOTE: Windows 7 Profession, Enterprise and Ultimate 64bit is limited to 192GB of RAM.
Windows Home Premium 64bit is limited to 16Gb of RAM.
Just some food for thought. More info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Edwin

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Hi Peter,

Still be careful with windows 64 bit and make sure all your hardware can connect to it, ie driver support. Windows 64 has a different design and most people install it to address more memory, because 32-bit can address max 3,5 GB. Indeed what mark says, windows 64-bit is the future, but not every computer can run 64-bit since you need a 64-bit capable processor as well.

Indeed what Mark says, maybe something else is causing your memory loss.
Did you do all windows updates? Maybe a broken memory chip.
Do you run other programs together with your FS? Internet explorer/Firefox/Music program?

I myself run windows 7 32-bit and never had any problems so far. 

Did some quick google: windows 7 ran out of memory

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/2499-out-memory-error.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1433143

Hope it helps.

Edwin

IP Logged

Vedster

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I have been running 64 bit OS`s for few years now.
In early days of win xp 64 bit there were driver issues, but this problems are long gone now, providing that your hardware supports 64 bit OS as mentioned above.

My FSX is fairly loaded with addons, loads of aircraft and scenery and is running just fine, but i did have same memory error with 707 once followed by FSX crash.

In my case i am 100% sure that it is not hardware related as i had mem test running for hours with no errors reported. On a general note i do believe that 707 needs few tweaks as it does run slightly more sluggish than rest of my more demanding add-ons that i am not allowed to mention as it seems forbidden by CS, just checked in the forum rules as competitor name got changed to other.

Strange that as i do not see why CS has to be paranoid about mentioning competitors as CS is one of top software studios.
CS, you have nothing to worry about as long as you keep up same level of quality as you have just now Smiley

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
In some FSX  forums. They don't recommend over 6GB memory and consider as overkill.

Do we need more then 6GB of RAM for 707 and 727?

IP Logged

Vedster

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
its not only 707 or 727 that will take resources, FSX is resource hog itself, it does like ram, but it does like fast, really fast multi core CPU. you really need to get good balance between both. There are shortfalls with lots of ram, you need to relax your clocks and latencies, and then you have old dual channel and newer three channel Intel memory configurations. i would say that for standard dual channel setup you should be good with 4gb, and three channel 6gb as optimum.

More ram will limit you CPU OC capabilities, so as i say, key is in balance, and of course good graphics card, FSX prefers Nvidia, i personally run ATI (5870)  new 5xxx series have improved FSX performance drastically, but nvidia still has an edge

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
"three channel 6gb as optimum"  Smiley
That what I going to have.
Thanks for your info.

IP Logged

PeterL

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 8:39am
Print Post  
OK, I consider switching over to 64bit. I let my retailer do the job, because the guy knows what he's doing.
Thanks for all the info
Happy landings

Peter

IP Logged

Vedster

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
PeterL wrote on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 8:39am:
OK, I consider switching over to 64bit. I let my retailer do the job, because the guy knows what he's doing.
Thanks for all the info
Happy landings

Peter

Peter,

If it is only OS upgrade on existing PC that you want t do it is really easy to do, i presume shop will charge you for it?

If you want to save some money pm me i will give you instructions.

IP Logged

PeterL

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Well, for the moment I'm back to FS9/legendary 707
Thanks for the offer anyway

Peter

IP Logged

Legend

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Hoi Peter,

a possible solution may be to set the /3GB switch in your boot.ini. When another company's MD-11 was just released a lot of people (including me) also experienced memory problems; the solution was this infamous /3GB switch thingie.

The good thing is that it won't cost you any money, and if it doesn't work even won't hurt your system.

See for example here: http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php/How_To:_Set_the_/3GB_Switch

Veel geluk!

IP Logged

PeterL

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Well, thanks for the hint, but I'm not sure if this will work with Win7 as well. In the meantime I uninstalled my FSX and all FSX related addons (which weren't that much, thankfully) cleaned the system and the registry. After installing FSX and the 707 again the problem did not occur any more. (I made one flight so far, but will give it another try tonight)

Regards

Peter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top