Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 B727 cold and dark problem (Read 32319 times)
Markoz
CS Team

Re: B727 cold and dark problem
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
asanal wrote on Jan 24th, 2010 at 6:46am:
 if you have delayed engine start, to save the  battaries ,APU should be use.
electric_always_available=1 , Then you don't need APU.

The reason I added that line to the aircraft.cfg was because I my avionics would turn off after a few minutes of flight. I did read the manual(s) and after closely following the checklists provided in them, I still lost power to my avionics. I even wrote them into a text document so I could follow them using the kneeboard.  This happened regardless of any dials or knobs settings that are supposed to provide the power to the aircraft. My avionics would turn off anyway. So I added that line and solved the problem.

Although I have added that line into my aircraft.cfg, I still need to use the APU to start the engines (unless I use FSX default CTRL+E).

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

rupesh

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
do people get power outage when they start from cold and dark or does it happen even when u start with engines on? the reason i ask is if it only happens when u start from cold and dark then there must be something missing due to fsx limitations in which case for people who prefer to start the engines themselves, after the start (after conforming to reality) maybe they can just press ctrl E and see if the electrical juice still goes out or stays on. i personally have not had this problem, but then again i haven't started the thing myself yet. just the 757 and 767 and they work fine even from CaD.

IP Logged

asanal

Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Mark,
WE all have the same 727-100X. I assume  we should have same problems, unless our Pc configuration contributing the problem. I can start engines with battery power with out any problem. I can click on EP
and can start the engine and APU.

In mean time I cannot use AP GS, because it is not capturing signal and tracking. Why, I have no idea.

Do we have all same Aircraft and Panel.cfg files? Or some add-ons are influencing each other. I am sure yes. I have FSCaptain I cannot use it if I activate FSCrew with MD11X and LDSX.

In RW you should be  able use your batteries at least 30 minutes or more.I assume SIMworld should be like that also. In your case , you are loosing battery power rapidly. Is it possible in your Aircraft.cfg file battery power numbers is lesser then should be?

Or mine GS intercept Aircraft.Cfg file suppose to be 1 or 2  instead of 0.

I think, we should start to check if Aircraft.cfg files numbers are some reason cahged or not.
In My case CS support said, all people who does not  have FSX Acceleration on their system are experiencing AP and Cabin Sound problems after the SP 2.3 installation.
Do you have FSX Acceleration??
Regards
Sanal

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Hi Sanal.

Good reply and so on track with a lot of what you say. Why do some things work for some and not others? I believe it to be something in our setup of FSX or some addon that causes strange things, just like you said.

A good example. With the 727-100X I can use the AP GS most times but, by no means, all the time. I don't really know why. Does it have to do with how lined up on the localizer I am before engaging it? I don't know for sure and that's why it doesn't work 100% of the time.

One final thing is this. I have never tried to start the 727 without using the APU as I assumed that it would be needed to start it. Just like the Captain Sim 757 and 767. And I haven't actually timed how long the battery lasts before it runs out of power, but it certainly doesn't seem to be very long.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I'll add my experience to this.  With the 727-100 I could use the LOC setting to intercept the localizer and the Auto GS to capture the glide slope. After 2.3 I tried various intercept altitudes and angles but the Auto GS function would not work.  I have FSX SP2 but not Acceleration.

IP Logged

Wigwag123

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I have the same problem with the power cutting out after flying for a little while. I was going to post about it, and then discovered this thread.

So.... I copied and pasted the "electric_always_available=1", it seems to have made no difference. Did two flights in the last two days and the power cut out both times shortly after take-off. Does this fix work for everybody? Only after running the APU did I have power on again. Basically I have to run the APU all the time if I want to use my GPS (which I do).

Also shouldn't the fuel load change after running the APU for a length of time on the ground? Thanks.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Wigwag123 wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 11:17pm:
I have the same problem with the power cutting out after flying for a little while. I was going to post about it, and then discovered this thread.

So.... I copied and pasted the "electric_always_available=1", it seems to have made no difference. Did two flights in the last two days and the power cut out both times shortly after take-off. Does this fix work for everybody? Only after running the APU did I have power on again. Basically I have to run the APU all the time if I want to use my GPS (which I do).

Also shouldn't the fuel load change after running the APU for a length of time on the ground? Thanks.

It works great for me. Are you sure you have entered the fix into the correct section of the aircraf.cfg?

[electrical]
electric_always_available = 1
max_battery_voltage = 24.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 30.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 400.0

I always turn the APU off after I have started the engines. And as for the APU using fuel when being used. I believe it should, but I find that it doesn't seem to use any at all, no matter how long I use it for.

Note: I can't start the engines without the APU unless I use CTRL+E.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Wigwag123

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:59am:
Wigwag123 wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 11:17pm:

It works great for me. Are you sure you have entered the fix into the correct section of the aircraf.cfg?

[electrical]
electric_always_available = 1
max_battery_voltage = 24.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 30.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 400.0

I always turn the APU off after I have started the engines. And as for the APU using fuel when being used. I believe it should, but I find that it doesn't seem to use any at all, no matter how long I use it for.

Note: I can't start the engines without the APU unless I use CTRL+E.

Mark

I double checked all 4 aircraft cfg files I have (2 for each 100 & 200) and yes I did put them in as you outlined. For the hec of it I double checked again and timed it just sitting on the tarmac at 11 minutes my GPS shut off. Hit the battery switch again , and the avions switch again and still no GPS.

If it matters here is what I do. I turn on the master battery switch on from the top of the flight engineer's panel, then my avionics switch on my keyboard and the GPS comes on. If I don't hit the master battery first the GPS won't come on when I hit the avionics switch. So I think that part is working like it should, it's just that I lose power to the GPS unless I run the APU the whole time.  Strange hey?

I too can't start the engines without the APU on. I appreciate you trying to help Mark. 

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I've been doing a test on mine right now and after 46+ minutes I still have power to my avionics. All I did was load the 727 into FSX, turned on the Battery Switch and left it sitting there while I played Solitaire. As I am about to submit this message I still have power to the avionics.

Mark

Edit. It has now been 1 hour and the avionics are still working.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Wigwag123

Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:10am:
I've been doing a test on mine right now and after 46+ minutes I still have power to my avionics. All I did was load the 727 into FSX, turned on the Battery Switch and left it sitting there while I played Solitaire. As I am about to submit this message I still have power to the avionics.

Mark

Edit. It has now been 1 hour and the avionics are still working.

Can you please confirm this for me just so I know an easy way to check while I am trying to figure out my problem.

I assume this is what should happen after adding the electric always available line in the A/C cfg file. When you load up a cold and dark flight in the727, then go to the 2D screen and hit the GPS button (WITHOUT hitting the barttery main toggle first) that the GPS should be on. By this I mean you don't have to turn it on as electricity is always available.

For the hec of it I will remove that line from the cfg, save it and then add it again and save it just to see what happens. Thanks.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #25 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I changed the line electric_always_available=1 to electric_always_available=0 and started the 727-100 Cold-n-Dark (KSEA). When I pressed Shift+6 to open the GPS panel, the GPS was off. Once I turned the battery switch ON, the GPS came on with it.

I also did a test with the battery switch on and the GPS on. After about 11 minutes, the GPS went off. So adding the electric_always_available=1 to mine is working for me.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Wigwag123

Reply #26 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Mar 8th, 2010 at 1:56am:
I changed the line electric_always_available=1 to electric_always_available=0 and started the 727-100 Cold-n-Dark (KSEA). When I pressed Shift+6 to open the GPS panel, the GPS was off. Once I turned the battery switch ON, the GPS came on with it.

I also did a test with the battery switch on and the GPS on. After about 11 minutes, the GPS went off. So adding the electric_always_available=1 to mine is working for me.

Mark

Thanks for checking that out for me Mark, I appreciate your time and trying to help out. For whatever reason it just don't work for me. I took the electric line out of the cfg and typed it back in but still the same problem. 

I guess I will run my APU all the time, good thing APU fuel consumption doesn't appear to be simulated. Wink

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 4:53am
Print Post  
I have done another test and got a pleasant surprise. I still have the electric_always_available=0 setting in the aircraft.cfg. I will remove it completely from the aircraft.cfg to try a couple of things that will become clear through reading this post.

I exited and then restarted FSX and from Free Flight selected Load then 727-100 Cold-n-Dark (KSEA) and clicked Fly Now.

I left the plane sitting there for a while with the GPS displayed and ON with the Battery Switch OFF. Again after about 11 minutes the GPS went OFF. I turned the Master Battery Switch ON and the GPS came on too. I then decided to do a flight from KSEA to KIAD, so I started the APU and then the engines. After starting the engines, I moved both the AC Meters Selector from APU to GEN 2, the Essential Power Selector from APU to GEN 2 and the DC Meters Selector from BAT to ESS TR and after more than one (1) hour I have not lost any power to any avionics instruments. Have I found a solution other than having the electric_always_available=1?

The other thing that surprised me was that ALL the sounds (cockpit announcements and "dings" for other switches) worked without having to reload the 727. After my current flight, which still has 3 hours to go, I will do a whole computer restart and see if this works again or if I just got lucky this one time. Sorry, but I hate not completing a flight I have started.

Mark

EDIT. It is now some 2 hours since I posted this. I never finished my flight as my FSX went to a completely black screen where I couldn't see anything anymore, so there was no hope of landing. It does this every now and then for some strange reason.

I exited FSX and rebooted my computer. I did all the same things to start my flight in the 727. The sounds were NOT working, so no fix there!

As for what I did to start the 727. I followed the same as I did before. I did remove the electric_always_available=1. It is not there anymore, not even electric_always_available=0 is there. I'm doing a flight from KSEA to KSFO. I am flying at FL300 315 KIAS with 388nm to go and I still have avionics power after far more than 11 minutes since the start.  So my guess is that the power solution seems to be where I set those knobs that I mentioned.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Well fellow pilots, I am at a complete loss.

I shut down my computer last night and went to bed. This morning I started it up, and immediately started FSX and the 727-100 Cold-n-Dark (KSEA). I moved the plane to YMML on RWY16. I decided to do a short flight which involved nothing more that a large circuit around the Melbourne International airport.

I did everything EXACTLY the same as I did yesterday and I couldn't believe it, I lost avionics power after 11 minutes. I don't know why it was working great yesterday with no loss of avionics power, and today, I lost it. Obviously there must be something wrong.

I'm thinking I might try and do a flight from KSEA to KSFO like yesterday. Maybe the avionics only like to work close to home (Boeing Field (KBFI)). So because of this I will put back my electric_always_available=1 to fix it for me.

Sorry guys (and gals), but I have to believe that yesterday I just got lucky.  Cry

Mark

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

honanhal

Reply #29 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Markoz,

I've experienced this problem with both the 727 and C-130. In my experience the key difference is that while you'll never lose electric power if you sit in one place in the tarmac, as soon as the plane starts moving on the ground the countdown to power loss starts (in the case of a long taxi you can lose power before getting to the runway). Hitting ctl-E works with the C-130--maybe try that with the 727 as well?

This is a pretty serious problem and it's a shame that CS seems not to know how to fix it.  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top