Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
VOR Ident Signal Volume - How to hear the dih-dah? (Read 5565 times)
TacomaSailor

VOR Ident Signal Volume - How to hear the dih-dah?
Dec 16th, 2009 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I can tune and capture any desired NAV/VOR signal and the instruments and autopilot can do there thing with the NAV/VOR signal.  

What I can't figure out is how to get an audio tone for the morse code VOR identifier.  I know which knob controls the volume but turning the knob does not make the audio morse signal audible.

I tried the standard FSX CTRL+1 to turn on/off the NAV 1 audio ident but that doesn't work either.

Is there a separate ON/OFF  switch for the NAV radio audio?  There is such a switch in many FSX AC but I can't find it in the CS 727.

I am having the same problem with NAV2 and both ADF devices.  They work fine - I just can't hear them.

Any suggestions?

ASUS P7P55D PRO / 4GB Corsair DD3 PC12800 / Intel i5-750 (OC) / eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / Vista32 / FSX Acceleration

IP Logged

Matt2218

Re: VOR Ident Signal Volume - How to hear the dih-dah?
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Tacoma;

On the lower left corner of the Flight Engineer's panel is the radio controller (it's black).  You'll see a bunch of silver switches pointed up.  Look for the radio you want (NAV1, NAV2, ADF1, ADF2) and flip one or both of the switches for that radio down. You should then hear the identifier if you've tuned it properly and are in range.

As an aside, the other item on the FE panel you need to be familiar with is the fuel flow panel.  Since the center tank has more fuel in it, you want to draw from it first until its quantity is the same as the Right and Left wing tanks.  To do this, open all of the crossfeeds and turn the booster pumps OFF for the wing tanks but leave them ON for the center tank.  You should then see fuel only coming out of the center tank.  Once they are equal, either shutting the crossfeed valves or turning on the wing tank booster pumps will return you to "tank to engine" fuel flow. Long story short, once the wing tanks are dry engines 1 and 3 will flame out if you don't have the crossfeed set up.  Ask me how I know Smiley

More on the fuel issue (with a picture) here:
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247894913

IP Logged

TacomaSailor

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Thanks Matt,

My union allows us to operate with a two person crew - neither of us ever read the FE manual - that panel is behind us so why pay attention?

thanks for the help!

ASUS P7P55D PRO / 4GB Corsair DD3 PC12800 / Intel i5-750 (OC) / eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) / Vista32 / FSX Acceleration

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Matt2218 wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 3:42pm:
As an aside, the other item on the FE panel you need to be familiar with is the fuel flow panel.  Since the center tank has more fuel in it, you want to draw from it first until its quantity is the same as the Right and Left wing tanks.  To do this, open all of the crossfeeds and turn the booster pumps OFF for the wing tanks but leave them ON for the center tank.  You should then see fuel only coming out of the center tank.  Once they are equal, either shutting the crossfeed valves or turning on the wing tank booster pumps will return you to "tank to engine" fuel flow. Long story short, once the wing tanks are dry engines 1 and 3 will flame out if you don't have the crossfeed set up.  Ask me how I know Smiley

More on the fuel issue (with a picture) here:
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247894913
Thanks for that Matt.

Last night I was doing a flight from KSEA to KJFK and at about 150NM from KJFK my left and right fuel tanks ran out of fuel. All my engines flamed out (I encountered this the other day too and crashed). I was able to restart them, but not for long. Strangely enough, by turning on the APU I was able to get my engines restarted and to remain running AND I landed safely at KFJK. I don't know exactly what I did so please don't ask. It was just a lucky fluke. After being guided to that other post, I don't think I will have this happen again (fingers crossed).

As I said before. Thank you.  Smiley

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Mark -

I had the same (unpleasant) experience. Thankfully JETPILOT's little tutorial saved the day.

What's kind of odd is that if your wing tanks are empty, engines 1 and 3 won't feed from the center tank unless the wing tank booster pumps are off (and crossfeeds open, obviously).  The CS C-130 system works about the same except I don't think it cares about the status of an empty tank's boost pump.

On any CS bird I just keep the crossfeeds open and turn off the boost pumps for any engine that I want to be fed from somewhere else and it works for me...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top