Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
How do I get power to the AC Bus? (Read 4815 times)
MS

How do I get power to the AC Bus?
Dec 13th, 2009 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hi. Could someone please tell me how to get power to the AC Bus if there is no external ground power available/connected? I get the battery started, then the  GTC - no problem.  But closing the GTC Generator switch, whilst turning on the DC power, leaves the lower three AC Bus warning lights still showing. I can see no way to get the AC Bus connected, unless ground power is available, when closing  the External Power switch gets the AC Bus working. The guarded switch at the bottom of the upper overhead panel is the DC Bus Tie - no AC Bus Tie to be found (despite there being one mentioned in the manual - though the picture there is of the DC Bus as far as I can see).

I only downloaded this a/c the other day, so it surely doesn't need a patch of any kind - and I've spent a couple of hours now browsing the net to get an answer, with no result. Searching for "AC Bus" on these forums draws zero results.. Hmmm..

Thanks for any help here.

Martin

IP Logged

deimos256

Re: How do I get power to the AC Bus?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 3:44am
Print Post  
off the top of my head I want to say you need to switch the bus switches then switch em back to their original position for some reason.  try looking on youtube sometimes you can find startup videos there

IP Logged

MS

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I think you are thinking of the generators - you have to do that to make them function. The videos on YouTube, which I saw before I posted, don't cover this. I think there's a glitch here: when the GTC and ATM are running, you should be able to get power on the AC Bus, but in the sim a/c you don't. I don't think there are any more switches or combinations of switches I can try!

Martin

IP Logged

3Greens

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The GTC/ATM should provide power to the Essential AC bus (ESS AC) when the AC External knob is actuated. I don't think it is supposed to power the LH, MAIN or RH AC though.

IP Logged

jrau1944

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Before any C-130 generator, including the ATM generator will produce power, they must be switched to the left to reset, then to the right to come on line.

IP Logged

jrau1944

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
External power will provide power to ALL busses until you get the generators on line.

IP Logged

metzy

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
MS/All,

for a C130H - no provision for other models here....

"The APU driven AC generator will power only the essential AC bus at any time"

from a C130 flight manual.

Baiscally, the essential will be powered by the APU, however, the main, Right and left hand AC busbars should remain unpowered, until the engine starts.

The other question - not from this post, but people have been asking, external power tripping the APU AC gen offline....100% correct, cant have both APU and external AC power, either one or the other.

From what I can see, the CS c130 is spot on in the electrical side of things.

Hope this helps clear the air. Let me know any further questions

Metzy

IP Logged

Martin S

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
OK, this is really old (and a very belated thanks for the last answer!), but I have recently come back to the problem (if that's what it is!).

What this means, no power to the AC bus until the engines are started, unless ground power is on, is that there's no way to activate the usual external lights - Nav/Beacon - before engine start up. Surely that can't be how it is in the real C-130??

M

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top