Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Flap Handle Markings Fix (Read 6109 times)
Matt2218

Flap Handle Markings Fix
Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon all;

I've made a texture 'fix' for the incorrect flap handle settings on the Captain Sim 727s for FSX.  You can find it in a zip file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ee4d96516fc71160ab1eab3e9fa335ca5484252731ec8...

With these textures installed, the markings on the flap handle pedestal will match up with the flap handle at each setting. Jpgs are enclosed in the zip so you can see what it looks like before you install.

Captain Sim...if you would like to include these textures in the new update (to save you some work)  be my guest  Smiley

Matt

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Re: Flap Handle Markings Fix
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Matt,
Thank you for your efforts.
Various operators use various versions of the same aircraft so cockpit layouts may vary dramatically. So please do not expect our model to be everything for everyone.

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim 2;

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about what I was trying to accomplish. I wasn't trying to customize your plane, I just wanted the handle animation to work correctly.

The issue that I corrected was that the movement of the flap handle itself didn't match the flap setting.  If you selected "25 degrees" the gauge on the panel would say 25 but the handle didn't line up with the number 25  Cheesy  I saw that other people had noticed this problem too and figured a simple texture edit was an easy way to fix it.  

The updated file makes it so that when the flap gauge on the panel says 5,15, 25, and 30 degrees the flap handle on the virtual cockpit pedestal will be in line with those numbers. That way you can tell at a glance in the VC what your flap setting is. I'm assuming that must be how it works in a real cockpit, regardless of the cockpit layout.

Based on your picture I will go back and add in the number "20" between 15 and 25 - that way it will have the functionality as well as the original look. When I am done I will post here.

Thanks and have a good day -
Matt

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Ok, Matt, now it is clear.

Thank you for your inquiry.
It has been processed and new KB# 4609 added to the Knowledge Base. Please check-in to Your Profile  and use Customer Support > Search KB > KB# 4609.

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Good evening all;

I have uploaded "Flap handle fix version 2"...it can be found at the same link above.

The only change is that I restored the "20" and included some "before and after" pictures so that it is clear what changed.

Thanks -
Matt

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I have never in all my years flying the 727 ever seen a plane with a "Flap 20" setting, and It isn't mentioned in Boeing operators manual. I wonder what the story is with the "20" flap setting and what the point of it is.

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
JETPILOT wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:00pm:
I have never in all my years flying the 727 ever seen a plane with a "Flap 20" setting, and It isn't mentioned in Boeing operators manual. I wonder what the story is with the "20" flap setting and what the point of it is.

Beats me...but I have seen a few on Airliners.net with a "20" marking.  I wonder if only certain customers ordered them that way?!

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Back then Boeing would customize anything the customer wanted. You can tell ex TWA planes because all the switches are reversed. Down is on and up is off. On the overhead foward is off and backward is on. Stupidest thing I have ever heard of. We had one in our fleet. I hated flying that airplane.

But custom flap settings? I never heard of it and seeing that there is absolutely no obvious reason for it all I can do is scratch my head.

IP Logged

Launchbury

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Came across this kind of by accident when I was searching for something else:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/727sec3.pdf
On page 15 and 16, charts for the "-200 Standard and Advanced" you can see that on the chart it makes mention of "Flaps 20" with an irregular dashed line. On pages 17-22, charts for "-200 Advanced" you can see that the "Flaps 20" is in a solid line. "Flaps 20" lines do not exist on charts for "-100" or "-200 Standard only" showing that Flaps 20 was a purely 727-200/Adv. option.

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for getting to the bottom of that. Another discrepancy in the CS 727. It's not an advanced model. I wonder what airlines ordered the flap 20 option.

IP Logged

Launchbury

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Captain Sim 2 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:15am:

I tracked down the picture that CS posted on Airliners.net, and the aircraft was listed as 727-264/Adv. 64 is the customer code for Mexicana, so it would appear that Mexicana was ordering the 20 degrees of flaps. Makes sense, all those ugly hot & high operations going on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top