Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
using auto pilot alititude and rate of ft per minu (Read 4094 times)
rsperge

using auto pilot alititude and rate of ft per minu
Sep 12th, 2009 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
JUst curious when using the auto pilot how do you set it up for your desired altitude and the rate of fet per minute, in the past have beeen used to glass cockpits.

secondly hhow do you get the windshields wiper to work, I click on them and nothing happens.

finally this is a great plane, nice job captain sim.

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Re: using auto pilot alititude and rate of ft per minu
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
There are no such features. You use the nose up / nose down pitch command to establish your rate of climb. When you get to your desired altitude you have to have to use the pitch command to pitch nose down, pull your power back for cruise speedand use the alt hold function. Welcome to flying 101.  Smiley

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
rsperge: First you have to get used to this kind of a/p 727 a/p wasn't computer aided as you would find on an A320, B737-300 of nowdays. Lots of work to do with this a/p; Almost to the point of not calling it an a/p; In comparisson with modern a/p systems. Read the manual.

To set your altitude dial in the number you want on the altitude setting window. Right click for more (+) and left click for less (-). Took me a while to figure this out  Cool

Now on your pedestal you have another a/p the left dial is your rate of descent/ascend option; Again here right click (+) Left click (-). Watch your speed!!!! I can't emphazise this enough  Wink In my case it tends to overspeed easily. If this is your case too use your airbrakes to slow down, Butr watch your stalling speed, because the 727 has the engines in the rear stalling is easy; adjust precalculated rate of descend some distance from your destination..KEEP IT SMOOTH. Use your joysticks' . To use your windshield wipers activate form overhead panel. Lastly read the manual. Good flights!

<div class=
IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Just to be clear that is only an altitude alerter. It has no autopilot function.

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Jetpilot: Thanks for your imput. It's true,as I mentiones the a/p in 727'S was very basic and requires a lot of manual work; that's what makes it so much fun. I myself am trying to attempt ILS approaches with it.l have found this feature of FSX very difficult to master, I don't want to discourage others. So far I've manage to tune in the NAV radios. But because of the nose-up attitude 727 have on approach(I can't see the runway) When I press the engage switch...Nothing happens...Lots to learn about the 727systems...yet.

<div class=
IP Logged

audiohavoc

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I just hand fly the whole flight as I only use it for trips that are around 500nm-700nm so far.  I find this to be very fun, and when I switch to flying the MD-11, I find myself somewhat bored due to the fmc and a/p.  I have grown to appreciate manual VOR navigation.

MSI P67 GD65, i7 2600K @ 5.0 Ghz, 8GB Mushkin 2133MHz memory, EVGA GTX 580, Thermalright Venomous X CPU cooler, OCZ Fatal1ty 700w PSU, 64GB Kingston V Series SSD Gen 2, 128GB Corsair M4 SSD, Windows 7 Premium 64-bit

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I agree.... No FMC's. In real life in IMC with holding etc. You work your @ss off in the 727.

A good NFP in the 727 is the guy who is on the same page as you and knows what your going to ask for next and sometimes is ahead of you and asks if you want something like setting you up for the approach. That's the FMC's job now. When the FP the NFP and the FE are in tune with each other it's like a well corriographed performance. Nothing liek asking for a landing data card and the FE says it's already on the pedestal.

Nowdays a good NFP is the guy who doesn't get on your nerves by nodding off.

I am glad to have flown two classics. The DC8 and the 727. The new automation is helpful and reduces workload but at the same time the job of a pilot has changed. Your no longer flying. It's a shame.

IP Logged

Berlopez

Denmark<br />

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Jetpilot I second that! Nothing like manula flying. The 727 a/p is one that gives one a bit of own load working making flying more real and exiting. I've never been a fan of FMC.In FS

<div class=
IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I also fly the another company 747-400 and I don't use the auto throttles or auto flight. I fly it by hand but I like the FMC for providing thrust settings, v-speeds, fuel managment and tuning and identifying navaids. I fly it like a classic 747.

I'm especially happy I have never had to fly an A320 or higher. What a mess!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top