Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Newbie questions (Read 2120 times)
ahinterl

Newbie questions
Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I purchased the 757 yesterday and did a short traffic pattern at KSEA.

Back in FS9 days I flew the 757 from PSS, and I'm still regularily piloting the another company-767 as well, so I'm a newcomer to the CS bird, but not that a rookie on 757s.

First thing that I encountered is that the engines are producing full sound when in spot view even when the sim starts with engines off.

Secondly, I could start no. 2, but no. 1 refused to spool up (there was air pressure enough for the starter), so I needed to hit CTRL-E.

Next thing is that the speed bugs on the EADI cannot be set precisely, and sometimes when changing values like e.g. the altitude on the glareshield, klicking with the mouse skips one value. Guess that's because the plane's gauge logic reacts too fast to user inputs, some sort of a filter would help.

A minor problem is that some knobs which are used to change numeric values get kind of stuck when manipulated via the mouse wheel so that the numbers "keep on rolling" - not that nice, but I can live with that.

Something that puzzled me was that when I set throttles to maximum, the white arc on the engine parameter readout didn't expand to the green V (which was positioned at TO), that was no joystick/lever noise problem. Seems the indicators aren't that "reliable"...

And, I missed altitude warnings as well as some aural response to the DH...

Hand flying characteristics were "so-so". I got some problems with not seeing the runway in 2D mode even with the pitch angle at around 3 deg, but I can live with that since the view angle is changable with a key combination. Furthermore, I had some troubles with the plane becoming a little unstable below 1000 ft and I needed to dive for the glideslope.

All in all, from a graphics perspective I'm satisfied with the 2D panel, and because another company shows no sign of releasing a 757 soon, the CS bird is the only one around and I have to live with possible bugs. I don't expect a another company class product, so I don't expect more than what I've paid for. And what add-on has no bugs (even the another company MD-11 has them)...

Hope CS keeps on improving the plane! And thank you CS for the 2D panel!!!!

Good to have an aircraft which requires only 117 kts at touchdown (as opposed to the 156 that my MD-11 demands often)!

Andreas

IP Logged

Schmid

Re: Newbie questions
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Andreas.

Quote:
First thing that I encountered is that the engines are producing full sound when in spot view even when the sim starts with engines off.

It is a known bug. I don't know if it will be fixed in a future (if there is one) patch.

Quote:
Secondly, I could start no. 2, but no. 1 refused to spool up (there was air pressure enough for the starter), so I needed to hit CTRL-E.

Be sure you have activated all fuel pumps. This 752 is modeled differently from that 763.

Quote:
Next thing is that the speed bugs on the EADI cannot be set precisely, and sometimes when changing values like e.g. the altitude on the glareshield, klicking with the mouse skips one value. Guess that's because the plane's gauge logic reacts too fast to user inputs, some sort of a filter would help.

Click on the frame and drag to the right to increase speed bug value. At the upper left - speed bug 1; at the upper right - speed bug 2; at the lower right - speed bug 3; at the lower left - speed bug 4;

It is really difficult to do this drag at a precise value.

Quote:
A minor problem is that some knobs which are used to change numeric values get kind of stuck when manipulated via the mouse wheel so that the numbers "keep on rolling" - not that nice, but I can live with that.

In the other hand, clicking + or - increase or decrease values very slowly. So, in some cases, I like this feature. I'd prefer if we have a left click / right click of the mouse buttons as there are in some add ons, to change values in higher steps (with one button) or lower steps (with the other button).

Quote:
Something that puzzled me was that when I set throttles to maximum, the white arc on the engine parameter readout didn't expand to the green V (which was positioned at TO), that was no joystick/lever noise problem. Seems the indicators aren't that "reliable"...

I haven't noticed that. I'll check again.

Quote:
And, I missed altitude warnings as well as some aural response to the DH...

Have you changed the value? By default on this a/c DH is set to zero.

Quote:
All in all, from a graphics perspective I'm satisfied with the 2D panel,..

I like very much the graphics of this add-on, although I'd rather have not so dirty textures.

I believe if CS team fix some bugs in FMS, the add-on will be great.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 2:59am
Print Post  
The runaway knob issue was a problem for me, too, at the beginning.  Now I don't even think about it.  Generally, I don't use the mouse wheel.  On buttons, it is usually left and right click.  For altitude windows and the like, I usually left click on either the right or left side of the window.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Hi, Tim.

Yes. But I consider very boring to set a FL390 in 100 ft increment. There are other solutions we usually see on other add-ons to make this faster.

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
If you really want boring, try setting the field altitude for Mexico City on the cabin pressure panel. Smiley

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Schmid

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Yes! You got the point!

That's why I use the 'scroll' function.

While it is sloooooowly turning to landing altitude I program FMC, MCP, lights, start engines, take a shower, drink another beer....

Regards

Schmid

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top