Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
ILS and Comm radio (Read 2746 times)
bigmack

ILS and Comm radio
Jun 22nd, 2009 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
When following the FMS tutorial above, I set the top nav radio to rwy freq and course. The 2 other nav radios stay in auto mode. Even though I choose the rwy in FMS, the AC will not follow the loc or glidescope until I change from auto to manual and insert rwy info on 2 other nav radios. Is it suppose to work this way. Or the the FMC auto programs the ILS info into the nav radios??

Bill M   Cool

IP Logged

Neil

Re: ILS and Comm radio
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Hey Bill

Are you tuning the ILS frequency of the runway into the ILS section of the radio (about half way down).

It sounds like you are tuning the ILS frequency into NAV1/NAV2.

Also, the FMC should auto tune the ILS to the runway frequency

Cheers
Neil

IP Logged

bigmack

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
NO, I'm tuning the top radio with ILS on it. According to the tutorial. It does not work find the localizer or GS.
Am I the only one having this issue???

Bill M   Cool

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Works fine every time for me so far both manually and with the FMC autotune.  Do you have the right frequency?

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
To Neil and Beachdog2001:  Both of you have experience, but I haven't tried the FMC autotune to the ILS frequency and heading, still in the habit of manually tuning the ILS.  How close to the localizer and TDZ do you have to be for it to autotune?  I normally approach the localizer at 45 degrees from the localizer heading.  Does the autotune sense the localizer while converging on it, and then if LOC is selected will it turn the aircraft onto the localizer course?  Last question:  where there are parallel runways and localizers (e.g. KSFO, KMIA, KATL) does the autotune dial in the closer of the 2 (or more in the case of ATL) localizers?  If you cross the first localizer will it then retune to the frequency and heading of the second?

IP Logged

Neil

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Hey Trailboss

"How close to the localizer and TDZ do you have to be for it to autotune?"

Im not sure exactly how far from the runway you have to  be for the auto tune to work however, I seem to remember that on one of the approaches I made recently, the radio autotuned at 12nm which happened to be a waypoint if i remember correctly.  I'm not sure however if there is a set distance that the autotune occurs or if it is a particular waypoint.

"Does the autotune sense the localizer while converging on it, and then if LOC is selected will it turn the aircraft onto the localizer course?"

As I noted above I'm not entirely sure if the autotune occurs at a set point or distance - I will need to look out for this  but I think it is 12nm - however, I would have thought that the ILS frequency would already have been tuned into the radio prior to intercepting the localizer.
You are correct in stating that hitting LOC will turn the aircraft on the localizer course.

"Does the autotune dial in the closer of the 2 (or more in the case of ATL) localizers?  If you cross the first localizer will it then retune to the frequency and heading of the second?"

Where there are two ILS Runways next to each other, in order for the autotune to intercept the correct glidescope, you will need to program into the FMC which runway you are going to be landing on (ie 5L or 5L) .  This is selected in the Dept/Arr menu.  Therefore, if you were to cross one localiser, the radio would not tune in that runway ILS frequency - it would always have the frequency of the runway you were planned to land on.  Also note that if you were crossing the ILS of a parallel runway this may raise a few eyebrows in the Control Tower.

Try and select a better approach - if there is one available - to line you up with the runway earlier on.

Hope this is useful

Neil

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
To be hoinest, I always tune the ILS myself.  But once I forgot and noticed that the FMC had already tuned it to the correct frequency. I don't know how far out it does this but it is plenty far enough out for it to work correctly.  Neil is probbly right.

Also, you should be shooting for more like a 30 degree intercept angle instaed of 45 degrees.  Much more comfortable for the passgengers.  This is ATC will try and do.

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top