Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Issue With Engine Thrust? (Read 1953 times)
Christopher Dittmar

Issue With Engine Thrust?
Mar 28th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I like that CS included some of the basic performance charts for the 727, but I am seeking a chart that gives takeoff distance calculations.  Can anyone point me to a takeoff performance chart that includes distances for various temps and altitudes and load-outs?

One of the reasons I am looking for this is the following scenario, which I am hoping someone can help me with:

The Boeing B727-200 Freighter
  • ULD Weight is at the default 4000 Lbs Each
  • 10 containers loaded, giving the aircraft a ZFW of 138210 Lbs
  • Max fuel loaded at 51462 Lbs
  • This gives a gross weight of 189672 Lbs

I am using the 190000 Lb max gross weight data from the Captain Sim Manuals, so I already know the following:

• Flaps 15
  • V1 147
  • Vr 148
  • V2 158
  • V2+10 1350 fpm climb rate
  • 200 Kt 1550 fpm climb rate
  • Vref @ Flaps 30 137 assuming immediate landing @ 160000 Lbs after fuel burnoff (max landing weight is 161,000 lb)

Also off Wikipedia I referenced the 727 and it states the following for the 722's max weights:

• Max Takeoff Weight: 209500 lb
  • Max Landing Weight: 161000 lb

So I should be well under max takeoff weight for the 200 Freighter.

I also noted the Vrefs for various lower weights assuming for fuel burn off enroute, which reminds me - I also need a fuel planner of some sort for this bird which works with Captain Sim numbers.

Now here is the problem:

I am attempting the following Fed Ex Flight:
Code
Select All
=================================================================
FDX1487		Federal Express Corporation "FedEx" (Memphis, TN)
Aircraft   	Boeing 727-200 (tri-jet) (B722/W)
Origin   	Denver Intl (KDEN)
Destination   	Grand Junction Regional (KGJT)
Route  		ROCKI6 DBL V134 JNC
Route Decoded	KDEN DEN CONNR DBL LINDZ GLENO SLOLM RIYNO HUGSI
		EDUKY PACES JNC KGJT
Duration   	33 minutes
Departure 	05:42 MDT
Arrival 	06:20 MDT
Speed 		435 kts  
Altitude 	28000 feet
================================================================= 

Please bear in mind, I already know I do NOT need this much fuel for such a short flight, but I am testing this product for an article I am writing and am using max takeoff weight conditions assuming the resulting flight would be much longer.  I would be dumping fuel or adjusting fuel load for being within the 1600000 target landing weight while in the short cruise for testing purposes.

The takeoff runway is 35L with default "Fair Weather".  The elevation for the runway is 5430.5 ft.  It has dimensions of 12000 x 150 ft.

So what is the issue?  Here it is: At max thrust I cannot get off the runway.  I put in max power and she seems way underpowered.  She cannot get to the rotation speed of 148 knots before overrunning the opposite end of the runway.  Just out of curiosity, I kept her going and she eventually rotated -- after crossing over the distant Runway 8/26.

I know that even at max gross weight a 727 **should** be able to get off a 12000 foot runway even at this altitude.  

Am I doing something wrong?  I figured maybe too much flap, but I tried a flaps 5 takeoff with the same result.

Can any 727 vets please assist to make sure if this is user error (mine) or if this is an issue with the thrust of the aircraft?

Thanks!!!  Smiley

Christopher N. Dittmar

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Re: Issue With Engine Thrust?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The issue has been addressed in SP2.2.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint