Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Manual Start? (Read 19459 times)
_MSW_

Manual Start?
Mar 3rd, 2009 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I do not have the B727 yet but am interested.  One question is can the aircraft be started completely manually by the check list without having to use autostart?

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Re: Manual Start?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I have not been successful with manual start until after the first autostart.

I never have noticed anything change that I didn't set correctly in the first place, but until recently the checklists manual was not completed.  It has been released in previous days, and I'm eager to give it a try.  If it works, I'm going to make videos about it.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

markab

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
_MSW_ wrote on Mar 3rd, 2009 at 11:50pm:
I do not have the B727 yet but am interested.  One question is can the aircraft be started completely manually by the check list without having to use autostart?

Hi MSW,
             Yes you can. Works like a charm for me.

Mark

IP Logged

_MSW_

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Now I am confused.  It appears, according to Bob, that you have to start it with auto start first, then shut it down and then start it manually for it to work.  Is that correct?  If so that doesn't seem useful.  Although, markab did not mention this as a problem.

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 5:39am
Print Post  
If you are using FSUIPC, you may have to start it using Ctrl+E.  Actually I only have to start #1 and #2 using Ctrl+E.  #3 will start using the normal procedure even with FSUIPC.
If you disable FSUIPC you will be able to start it completely using the full checklist procedure.
This has been my experience anyway.
I think I prefer to just use the registered FSUIPC and have the controllers run through it so I can have my reversers on the throttle quadrant levers.  I know how to start the engines anyway and I can still start one of them.  The jury is still out on that. Wink

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
MSW,

What I was saying is that before I had access to the checklists (recently released) I could not fathom what I was doing incorrectly to keep from getting the start valves to open, but once I used Control-E once, I could always start the plane after that.

I have not yet had the opportunity to try since the checklists were released.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

THBatMan8

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
You'll have to disable FSUIPC's wind, temperature, pressure and turbulence controls. Once those items are disabled, all 3 engines will start like there's no tomorrow. Once all 3 engines have started you can turn back on the FSUIPC settings.

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 6:51am
Print Post  
THBatMan8 wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:58pm:
You'll have to disable FSUIPC's wind, temperature, pressure and turbulence controls. Once those items are disabled, all 3 engines will start like there's no tomorrow. Once all 3 engines have started you can turn back on the FSUIPC settings.

Thank you!  I'll sure check that out.  Maybe that will fix my Alt Hold switch not working too.
That is the main pain that I'm dealing with.  A side from that this 727 is working beautiful.
I can land this better than any plane I have.

One other little thing.  I notice that the reversers won't cause this 727 to back up.
The "727 Flight Master" book says that this is something that it should do and covers how to do it properly.  I wonder if the reversers should be made stronger?

Bob

IP Logged

dougal

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
signmanbob wrote on Mar 6th, 2009 at 5:39am:
If you are using FSUIPC, you may have to start it using Ctrl+E.  

WOW!

I was about to purchase this aircraft until I saw that.  Doesn't that strike anyone as a bit odd for an addon of this cost??

Also, is it correct that 'Alt Hold' doesn't work?  It's what I heard

Thanks

Windows7 x64 & FSX&&B707&&B727-100 & 200 Pro Pack&&B737-200&&B757-200 & 300 Pro Pack&&B767-300 Base Pack&&C-130 Herc&&F-104 Starfighter&&B-52 BUFF&&B777-200

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 2:13am
Print Post  
dougal wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:19pm:
signmanbob wrote on Mar 6th, 2009 at 5:39am:
If you are using FSUIPC, you may have to start it using Ctrl+E.  

WOW!

I was about to purchase this aircraft until I saw that.  Doesn't that strike anyone as a bit odd for an addon of this cost??

Also, is it correct that 'Alt Hold' doesn't work?  It's what I heard

Thanks

The problem is not with Captain Sim's 727, the problem is that it is not very compatible with FSUIPC.  Dispite this, I like to use FSUIPC registered version to set up all of my controllers.
This is causing the fuel cutoff switches on the pedestal not to work.  It may also be what is causing my ALT HOLD switch not to work.
I have found a way to do the startup procedure without using the cutoff switches on the pedestal.  I leave those switches on all the time and use the fuel cutoff switches on the engineer's panel.  They still work good and I can do a normal startup procedure using them instead.
I can see a developer building a sim that doesn't use FSUIPC or need it.  But I can't see why a developer would release a sim that is not compatible with such a popular utility.
I can't fault Captain Sim for that though.  He has built a beautiful 727 with the intentions of it using the default FSX program.
He did build the 757 to use FSUIPC so it does seem strange though.

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Hrm.  Well, I hadn't considered that FSUIPC would cause any problem in getting the engine to turn when the start valve opens.

Last night, I opened the new manual and ran through the list to be sure I didn't miss anything in my pre-flight and before-start procedures.

Imagine my dismay when I found the checklist skips right from the Before Start to the After Start lists, with no actual Start list in-between.

Even with everything set as I would expect, turning on the start valve switch for any engine had no effect at all, other than to light the valve light on the F/E panel.

Then, I click Control-E, and *knock-whirrr* the #1 starts spinning up.  Only thing that changed on the panels was that the packs both got switched to ON, which should be wrong for a start.  Also, air pressure INCREASED about 4-8 psi when this happened.

This seems very wrong.

Nonetheless, once I have done a Control-E startup, I can still shutdown all 3 engines and start manually as expected.

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Ok, I got it figured out now with the help of FSUIPC support.
There is nothing wrong with Captain Sim's gorgeous 727 series.  The fuel cutoff switches were locked up because they are set with "Mixture1 Rich, Mixture1 Idle" etc. and the same with #2 and #3.

I went into FSUIPC program and set those to the buttons below my throttle levers on my CH throttle and they work Perrrfect now.  I can start up my engines like a pro.

If you see that you can't start the 727 with the procedure and need to Ctrl+E, just reload the plane.  It will work perfect then.  For some reason sometimes it doesn't load right the first time.  Probably more of an issue with FSX itself.

It might be a good idea after you select it in the setup and it loads up at the airport, to just reload it again through the menu at the top.  First shut down the engines then just reload it.
That way it should be ready to start up following the procedure.

Now I only have one other little problem to figure out and it is not Captain Sim's fault either.
My ALT HOLD switch is locked up and it did work at one time.  I figure the problem is probably similar to the fuel cutoff switches.

Bob

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 10:24am
Print Post  
signmanbob wrote on Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:48am:
Now I only have one other little problem to figure out and it is not Captain Sim's fault either.
My ALT HOLD switch is locked up and it did work at one time.  I figure the problem is probably similar to the fuel cutoff switches.

Bob

Bob, I checked mine on the ground last night and I can click it On and Off with no problem. Did a few approaches into KPHL last night, AP-On, Auto Appch, and it switched Off when I got the GS to start down on the approach.

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

THBatMan8

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
*BUMP*

I think I found the issue with the engines and it isn't FSUIPC surprisingly. If you change the fuel load in the manifolds you need to double check the flight engineer's panel as I've found that the panel changes when you change fuel loads. Make sure that the APU Generator is connected to the sync bus. Also, check that the Bus Tie Breaker and Generator Field Relay switches for all three engines indicate closed. The Generator Breaker Light can be ignored until you fire up the engines because when you connect the IDG to it's bus it will disconnect the APU generator from the sync bus. Then run through the engine start checklist making sure that the appropriate galley items are load sheeded and the engines should fire up without any issues.

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the tips, I will try and see if it resolves the issue I've had.  I'm sure those items were covered in the checklists, though, and I tried it w/ the checklists.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top