Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Engine Spool-Up/Thrust Modeling (Read 3103 times)
bearste

Engine Spool-Up/Thrust Modeling
Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, hope all is well.  I did a search but couldn't find anything on this topic.  I might be nit-picking here, but after spending some good coin and trying to work out several bugs, I am getting more involved with the "aesthetic" working of the aircraft.

I have had the "rat unlocked" problem, solved that by loading FSX up directly to the 757 and saving a flight with both engines running on the ground and a "dark" (clean, no cautions) panel.

I have had the numerous CTD's while programming the FMS, usually at TOD after a long flight, and inputting a new approach.

I have the rocking, although for some reason less violent with the Registered FSUIPC 4.4 version.

I completely changed the soundpack, in fact, yes, I really do fly this aircraft for a US carrier, and find the TSS 767 (yes, I said 767) Rolls Royce model the most accurate for this aircraft.  I have the another company 767 also, because we are dual qualified 757/767.

After all the bugs, the thing that is killing me the most, amazingly, is the engine dynamics. You get to a point and just say, heck, it has bugs galore, but darn it looks good, so please let it act like a 757!  Nope...What is with the immediate sppol-up when adding fuel to the engine on start up.  With the RB211, depending on heat/ambient temp, you will have a "dry spool" for around 30 seconds, then add fuel, and you still have another 25-30 seconds after lite-off for the engine to stabilize.  What we have here is a generic FSX spool-up, which I know can be changed because the another company and another company models accurately represent the start sequence (~1 minute to go from cold to stabilized).

Also, when setting TOGA thrust, the engine spools up rather nicely until ~1.45 EPR, then creeps up to your rate/derate thrust.  The amazing thing is that the slow spool should be on the low range, and the quick spool on the top range!  1.45-1.72 EPR should take a second or two, but in the CS757 you might be at rotation before you achieve proper Take Off thrust!

All right, had to rant...

Everybody enjoy the new year!

JB

IP Logged

bearste

Re: Engine Spool-Up/Thrust Modeling
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Also, forgot to add...I know this is just another personal preference, but I located the .cab file and .xml file that contains the code to adjust the overhead fuel quantity indicators to read in pounds instead of kilograms.

I downloaded a free program to extract/compile the .cab and edited the .xml file, but as I am not an "expert" in cab editing, I can't get it to work.  However the code is very simple, it contains the gallon to pound to kilogram conversion, and is super easy to adjust, I just can't recompile the cab properly.  Anyone have any experience  with this?

JB

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Re: Engine Spool-Up/Thrust Modeling
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 9:25am
Print Post  
bearste wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:07pm:
Also, forgot to add...I know this is just another personal preference, but I located the .cab file and .xml file that contains the code to adjust the overhead fuel quantity indicators to read in pounds instead of kilograms.

I downloaded a free program to extract/compile the .cab and edited the .xml file, but as I am not an "expert" in cab editing, I can't get it to work.  However the code is very simple, it contains the gallon to pound to kilogram conversion, and is super easy to adjust, I just can't recompile the cab properly.  Anyone have any experience  with this?

JB

I would like to have the Fuel Quantity to read in LBS also. Could you tell me where you got the file to do this conversion. Thanks. Email sent.

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top