Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Problem with starting engines+bleed air (Read 20285 times)
VFR Reviews

No, that's not me :P

Problem with starting engines+bleed air
Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:42am
Print Post  
When I go through the checklist, I can't get bleed air to the checklist.  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  The APU's on, GPU's on, I think it's set up right, but I can't get the engines started  Sad

Thanks for any help  Smiley

IP Logged

Recency

Re: Problem with starting engines+bleed air
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 3:40am
Print Post  
The steps that I have sent before and at this post should get your engines started.  I have revised them somewhat to try to make them more clearer.
These steps should work unless you are trying to accomplish some other task with the engine start procedure.

Simple 17 steps for the Captain Sim 757 start up procedure.  Cold and Dark start.

1. Make sure all buttons are off.  Turn off ALL gauges, instruments and switches followed lastly by the Standby toggle and battery switch.  In other words nothing should be running and every guage, press buttons and toggle switches should be in the OFF postion.

2.  Begin the start up by turning the battery switch on.
(After the battery is turned on, within about 20 to 30 minutes, a significant amount a voltage will be lossed, so try to get the engines started within a 20minute time frame)

3.  Turn on STBY Power to Auto.

4.  Turn on APU Gen, Bus ties, L and R utility bus followed by the L and R Gen Cont.

5.  Turn APU (under gen drive disc) to start.  This APU toggle button will automatically switch to on.

6.  Wait for a steady RUN LIGHT that is at the left of the APU toggle switch.  Note that the light may dis-appear a few times before it becomes steady. When light is steady, proceed to step 7.

7.  After steady light, turn on the APU/Isolation (air bleed)valves that are located on the far right side under the duct press psi gauge.  Press the bottom 3 switches to on then press the single switch above the 3 bottom switches to on.  Note that the off light may remain lit along with the on light.

8.  Turn the eng start switch to 2 that is in the middle of the over head panel. The 2 is for the Right engine and the number 1 is for the left enigne.

9.  Proceed down to the eng start toggle switch and turn the RIGHT engine toggle to GND.

10.  Proceed down and turn on the left and right pumps (both AFT and FWD).  Leave the fuel cross feed to off.
NOTE that you can leave the left pumps in the off postion until you get to the Left enging start up process

11.  Press the “P” Icon to display the thrusters and bottom L and R  fuel knobs.  Click the right or left fuel knobs to open fuel line.  Upon this the engine should crank and start.

12.  Repeat steps 8, 9 and 11 for the left engine start.

13.  After engines have started,  turn OFF ALL Switches that were turned on in step 7 ONLY.  NOTE that other switches and guages that were turned on in steps 1, 2, 3, 4, and 11 should remain ON

14.  Next, turn off the APU Toggle switch. (step5 ONLY)

15.  Next,  turn on all HYD Switches , L and R packs.

16.  Next,  turn the rest of the switches and toggles switches that are NOT stated in the above steps , in according to your circumstances.  

17.  That’s it. Have fun.

IP Logged

VFR Reviews

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
thank you, I'll try.  I've flown it before, but I've checked and double checked, and this issue has just come up the last time Sad

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I think you've encountered a bug that if you let the plane sit too long without starting the engines, they won't start no matter what you do.

IP Logged

VFR Reviews

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Is that a real bug?  If so, that'd make sense :p

IP Logged

rb211

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Are your packs off?

IP Logged

Slowdive

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
VFR Reviews wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:37pm:
Is that a real bug?  If so, that'd make sense :p

At least in FSX it is. Several of us have encountered it. The only way around it is to reload the airplane, then the aircraft usually starts just fine.

IP Logged

VFR Reviews

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Ah.... That's  a pain, but it would explain it.

IP Logged

mikkel

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Any news on this issue? Without being able to realistically do a pre-flight and engine start at pushback. This add-on is quite useless for realistic flights...

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
A few notes about air...

First, if your APU "RUN" light isn't solid, even if the generator is going, you're not going to get the start valves to open.  I've encountered this rarely, I've had APU running, using its generator for power, got air at the panel, but no RUN light, and so the start valves never open.  Reloaded the sim to fix that problem the few times I've come across it.

Be sure to delete your "Default" flight (whichever saved flight has the "Default" checkbox set) even if it's for another plane, if that problem persists.  The default flight saving seems to save some CS settings even if it's saved without a CS plane.

Next, there's several things to keep in mind... If you're taking off bleed air anywhere, the start valves won't open.

Both pack selectors should be OFF.  Not Auto or any of the N/C/W settings.

All three de-ice buttons should be OFF.

All left/right fuel pumps should be ON. (center pumps will remain off regardless of command until engines come on)

Usually, if you are on APU power, have a RUN light, and turn the start valve switch for an engine, (and assuming you have APU bleed ON and Isolation ON if the right engine is what's starting) then double-checking these items will cause the start valve to open.

Obviously the plane needs as much air as possible to acheive 18+% N2.  It can't get that if you have de-ice or packs on, and obviously it will never fire over if the pumps are off, so it won't even open the start valve until it knows your fuel selector can actually provide fuel to the engine.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

Thralni

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Heya,

I, too, have problems starting the engines. Whatever I do, I can't get the start valves to open. I followed up the normal procedures part of the manual religiously for three times, I did the steps posted earlier on this site, but nothing happens. It's starting to drive me completely mad.

I can get the APU going, I can actually get eveything going, but the start valves don't open. Never. And yes, the packs are off. Honestly, I tried the steps in this thread multiple times.

I actually use the FS9 version of the 757, but since the FSX version forum is more populated, I'm trying it here. besides, I don't suppse this has changed between versions (you have to start the engines in identical ways for as far as I know in whatever version you are...)

Please, help me, it's driving me insane. All I want is to start the engines and get going!

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Thralni,

Check my tutorial videos, the topic about that is near the top of the list on this forum in the top section.

You have probably one of two issues-

1) Is the APU RUN light on solid?  If not, you have an issue with the APU.  Check to make sure there is no APU fire warning, and also try deleting all the saved flights that have the 757 on them *and* the default flight (even if it doesn't have the 757 saved) and then restart the SIM.  Sometimes there is an issue where something "weird" gets saved, and even though the APU is giving power and air, the RUN light never goes on solid, and if that condition is not met, the start valves won't open, or
2) There may still be something you're missing.

My videos cover all pre-flight steps, including setting up the APU and all air-driven items, and the startup steps, including cutting off air-driven items that are enabled as part of the pre-flight.

Some things are run by air, and people don't realize, such as the anti-ice systems.  If any are on, or if they're commanded off and you still have VALVE illuminated, then your start valves won't open ever.

Hope it helps.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

Thralni

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Bob Markey wrote on Mar 6th, 2009 at 6:58pm:
Thralni,

Check my tutorial videos, the topic about that is near the top of the list on this forum in the top section.

You have probably one of two issues-

1) Is the APU RUN light on solid?  If not, you have an issue with the APU.  Check to make sure there is no APU fire warning, and also try deleting all the saved flights that have the 757 on them *and* the default flight (even if it doesn't have the 757 saved) and then restart the SIM.  Sometimes there is an issue where something "weird" gets saved, and even though the APU is giving power and air, the RUN light never goes on solid, and if that condition is not met, the start valves won't open, or
2) There may still be something you're missing.

My videos cover all pre-flight steps, including setting up the APU and all air-driven items, and the startup steps, including cutting off air-driven items that are enabled as part of the pre-flight.

Some things are run by air, and people don't realize, such as the anti-ice systems.  If any are on, or if they're commanded off and you still have VALVE illuminated, then your start valves won't open ever.

Hope it helps.

Funny thing is, not that long after posting this, I found your vidoes. So, I wached them while holding the normal procedures part of the manual next to me and taking notes. Then, I fired up the 757, went through the checklist, and I started it up. It all worked. I guess I have to thank you for the great video! It was very helpful.

I think that at my very first try, I had forgotten to put ther packs back on off, they might have been on auto. The times after that it probably was something else I did wrong, because last time it all worked. Now I just have to understand the AP, and all is well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top