Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
 25 757-200 FMC Tutorial (Read 327734 times)
aussie

757-200 FMC Tutorial
Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Okay here is a quick and straight forward short flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Obviously I would be using B757-200 and take off from KLAX and land at KLAS(Mc Carren Int)

1. You could start by placing your aircraft at one of the gates at KLAX and load up the flight.
This is how the overhead panel looks when you first enter the plane with engines running.(if you want to start from cold dark cockpit you could just press ctrl+shift+F1 followed by shift+m. This would turn off engines and avionics. Auto start by ctrl+E to come back at same configuration. You could read detail startup elsewhere on the web.)

2. First we would do IRS alignment. Start by moving the knobs on top left to align position. followed by pressing other lit switches/knobs in any order or by the order mentioned in the captain sim manual.

3. After a while the top left lights would go black, move the knobs to NAV and press the two yaw damper switches below them. FOrgot to switch on Seat belts and stuff  Tongue Now you're all set to configure your fmc

4. Access your CDU/FMC from the panel on bottom left corner by pressing CDU. There might be some data from previous flight, ignore it and hit LSK button (line select key) "TWICE" next to pos init(see circled mark in the screenshot below) and you would reach where CDU is asking for flight plan.

5. I'll make a short simple flight plan(create more complex ones for free at http://simroutes.com/. Download flightplan in FSX format and import it as described in the following steps). Goto fsx flightplanner and make a plan as shown in the diagram below. Hit Find Route

6. Change the Cruising altitude to 25000 and save the route to some name for eg. KLAXKLAS.

7. Once you do that fsx would ask you the following question. Since i started at KLAX i donot want to move so i hit no. and come out of it.

8. Back to CDU! hit lsk next to REQUEST SEND. It would show you existing flight plans but We want to pick a plan we just created so we access it via FLTSIM FPLS.

9. Select KLAXKLAS, the one we just created.

10. once done, you would be presented by following situation

11. Hit LSK next to Actiate and  EXEC would light up. YOu could hit it to activate the route.

12. By hitting DEP/ARR button you could enter SID/STAR procedures for departure and arrival. You could skip this if you fly just for fun.

13. I've selected runway 24L and arrival at KLAS on ILS25L via STAR CLARR. note the <SEL> and <ACT> next to the selected STAR. I hit EXEC to activate changes.

14. You could hit the left lsk4 to SAVE the route in captain sim flightplan format.

15. On EFIS set the HSI knob to PLAN and Range to 20 to zoom in HSI

16. Having set the above you could not step into each leg of your flight plan and join the broken paths. Hit step on CDU to step to next leg and so on...

17. You might want to correct approach by removing a few legs for nice turn etc...Check elsewhere on the net how to fix broken routes, its easier than you think

IP Logged

aussie

Re: 757-200 FMC Tutorial???
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:33am
Print Post  
18. Switch EFIS back to MAP view and hit INT REF on CDU. This would take you to the crazy weight page which we all passionately hate Smiley, especially if you're coming from other commercial models. Go to fuel and payload from top menu in fsx. select "Display fuel quantity as weight". This would change all units to Pounds(lbs). Calculate the ZFW as shown in the figure below. You could change fuel and payload etc. As you could see i've way too much fuel but thats alright we'll be burning only digital fuel.

More realistic figures would be something like Cargo + PAX = 31500, Fuel = 50% in all tanks which gives around 37775lbs.

Gross Weight = (empty plane's weight + cargo+pax+fuel)
                   = 115000 + 31500 + 37775
                   = 184275lbs

ZFW = 184275 - 37775 = 146500lbs

so you would enter 146.5 in ZFW which would give you 184.3 in GR WT in CDU

You could also approximate CG here from the diagram. The black and white circle is located at 12th or 13th notch from top (depending on how you read it). So CG% would be (13/32)x100 = 40.625 = approximately 41%.

19. Enter 128.2(round it off) into ZFW and it would automatically calculate GR WT 199.4 which is approximately what we had in previous screenshot. Enter reserves to 20, crz alt to 250, cost index to 110(this is for how economical you want your flight to be. Higher the number more fuel would be burnt etc ..... This would be crucial for longer flights.)

20. Hit takeoff lsk on previous CDU step and enter following circled figures. CDU would automatically calculate V speeds for you

21. BUt you've to hit each lsk buttons next to v1, vR, v2 to finalize them(see the speeds are in BOLD below). I've entered CG approx to 34. It was around 40 i checked later. YOu could see this visually on FUEL and payload screenshot. Anyhow this has to do with trim settings so here i got 4 but i think 3 was enough for my flight.

22. Set the trim to 4 as we calculated in CDU.

23. We're almost done Do rest of the following as shown below. F/D on, A/T on, IAS/MACH to vR(140), ALT to next waypoint(I didn't bother here), Flaps to 15, EFIS HSI to MAP.

24. For auto take off hit TO/GA(below autopilot disengage switch) and EPR(below A/T Arm). Try to keep aircraft centered as the plane starts moving using rudder and joystick.

25. Here's tower view of the take off as I retract the landing gear.

26. Once above 200ft above ground Hit LNAV, VNAV, CMD switch followed by gradual flaps retraction(see manual). As we climb you could hit CLB button(next to TO/GA button, but make sure to hit CRZ button under CLB once you're on level flight)

27. Okay now we're approaching Vegas so its time to set ILS frequncies. Goto map from fsx menu and double click on KLAS airport to bring up airport information. You could get all required frequencies here ATIS, Approach etc.. Here ILS frequency for our rwy is 111.70 and CRS heading 255

28. So we enter these figures into radio panel where it says ILS

29. Near Finals we're ready to enter Approach reference speeds. I select flaps 25 and vREF to 133kts by hitting second LSK from right to copy and hitting right LSK 4 to paste.

30. Once we intercept the ILS needles hit LOC followed by APP before the horizontal pink diamond marks on ADI on right is above centerline. If you delay the autoland won't work!

31. Here I'm fully configured to land. See the circled areas and try to match with figures in CDU we calculated. LAND 3 is illuminated green and we've three green for wheels. Auto breaks and flaps are all set including the speed. At this point all Autopilot switches would come alive on their own

32. Time to disconnect autopilot, auto throttle and start flaring

33. Came down bit heavy as you remember I overloaded plane with lots of fuel Smiley

34. Taxi to the gates and enjoy rest of the neat features in Captain Sim's plane. stay good in Vegas!  

Forgive my grammer!!  Tongue and thanks for reading!!

IP Logged

fltsimguy

Re: 757-200 FMC Tutorial???
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Excellent!!!  I might ask a few more questions on the FMC once I get into it a little..!!  Thank You!!! Grin

IP Logged

fltsimguy

Re: 757-200 FMC Tutorial
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Aussie,

I ran ino into a few questions....when I create a FP via SimRoutes  a Huhnd import that FP into the FMC it does not show any SIDS or STARS ("none") and my waypoints are listed by lat and long coordinates, not by name..... Huh  hmmm?  Could you help?

thanks
fltsimguy

IP Logged

aussie

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
You're correct I just checked this issue. Simroute is an old site without recent update. The problem is fsx accepts flight plans in xml file format but simroute, generates flat file format. One could write a small program to convert from one format into another but not sure if its that worth!

btw simroute can create flightplan with SID and STAR if you goto Generate Routes   link but you've to manually enter other waypoints for the route itself or copy paste the route from (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ ) and select your choice for given SID and STAR options....works fine for other aircraft lvld 767etc

IP Logged

Neal

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I would suggest the following tweak to your tutorial. Select the Oshnn departure from KLAX, with the DAG trans then the CLARR arrival RW25R. You can get semi-accurate real world flight plans from www.flightaware.com

IP Logged

hochwang

live is full of surprises

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Hi Aussie  Smiley

For your upper tutorial what Version u used : 4.1 or 4.2
Would be interessted for me because if you using 4.2
it looks like you didn`t get the RAM Turbine Issue as i can see
on the shots off your Overhead panel and for shure the shots
from the Plane in outside view.

cheers
Mario Wink

&&

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Aussie, I programed the CDU and pressed the lsk next to V1, Vr V2 to finalize in FMC.

When I select the arr runway on the approach ref page the gross land weight is blank. Cannot manually enter the weight to obtain Vref speeds. I thought the FMS auto calculated the landing weight. I must be missing a step in order for the landing weight to appear. Any suggestions? Thanks.

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

Davidh53

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Hi, thanks for the tutorial it solved the Centre of Gravity calculations for me!  I enter the gross weight into the FMC and the FMC calculates the ZFW! Its the other way round but works!

I use the Just Flight 757 CS DVD rom version. Just awaiting the much hinted at patch that will (please) address some issues like no VOR deviation indication in the HSI VOR and no weather radar (just a "TEST" message!)

Hope the patch will make this a superb sim rather than just a good one Wink

IP Logged

pilot_tofly

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Hey thanks for the tutorial!  I have just one question though.  When you found the CG you found it to be 13 notches back from the firewall (or whatever the 757 uses).  Then you took 13 and divided it by 32.  Is that because there are 32 notches total and you just divide what your CG is by 32?  What if it had been 17?  Would it still be 17/32 x 100?

IP Logged

Peter H

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,
New to this bought Capt Sim 757 on dvd and followed above I tried EGCC to LEMG on the runway press ga/to EPR the thrust is set but nothing happens I have set the flaps as well is there anything I might have done wrong  Huh

IP Logged

RichardH

the 757 :D

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Whenever I try to import the FS FPL, FSX always crashes. Anyway of stopping this?

IP Logged

jse516

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
RichardH wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:22pm:
Whenever I try to import the FS FPL, FSX always crashes. Anyway of stopping this?

Same here.

However it works fine in Fs9.

IP Logged

bhodges61

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 1:07am
Print Post  
The FMC errors may be fixed in the next service pack, if one comes, which they can not confirm or deny that it will and can not confirm or deny what it will fix nor can they confirm or deny when it might possibly come out, if ever.

IP Logged

Flathead

Pilot:  Reporting a Flock
of Birds on Final, Sir!

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Hey aussie
I really appreciate your time and effort in producing this FMC Tutorial.
BNF1701
Flathead (as in '42 WLA)

FS9: CS> C-130, B707, B727&&FSX: CS> C-130, B707, B727, B757, B767&&Intel i7-930, ASUS P6X58D M/B, ASUS EAH5970/GDDR5 SDRAM, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5970, OCZ 2000MHZ 12GB DDR3, 2ea.- Western Digital 500GB, Patriot Torqx 128GB SATA II SSD, KINGWIN Mach 1 1220W, SilenX Pro 120 Cooler&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top