Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Assigning a keyboard press to set course (Read 9983 times)
cwr737

Assigning a keyboard press to set course
Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Gents and fellow pilots,

Nice work on the 1.1. My only complaint is that the course setting on the HSI is still way to sensitive. I don't know how to "click faster" as you have suggested, so is there a keypress that can be assigned to moving the course up or down by one degree?

Thanks

Colin

IP Logged

flarsen

Re: Assigning a keyboard press to set course
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:11am
Print Post  
FSX has controls for "Autopilot heading bug (increment)" and "Autopilot heading bug (decrement)" which operates the HSI heading knob and you can assign these controls to keyboard keys or joystick buttons. I use it with joystick buttons (with medium repeat) and that works nicely.

Unfortunately, the availability of FSX controls for different actions are in general scattered and not very consistent. For some reason the heading bug is the only knob (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) that you can control directly using FSX controls. Most of the remaining knobs can only be indirectly controlled by binding a key to a "... (select)" event (if you can figure out which one it is) and then use the "Selection (increase)", default bound to plus-key, and "Selection (decrease)", default bound to minus-key, to adjust the knob. So, for instance, the course selector can be controlled by using the "OBS indicator (select)" control, default bound to ctrl-v, followed by plus or minus to adjust.

I hope FSX devs one day gets around to clean up this part of FSX so we can choose key bindings to operate each knob individually and, dare I say, perhaps even have controls that allow us to set auto-throttle speed and extend and retract the gear instead of just being able to toggle it. And while they are at it they may as well make a way for add-on devs to add new controls for special gadgets not found in the standard planes, thank you Smiley

[edit for typos]

FSX with Acceleration.&&Vista Business.&&Intel 2.4 GHz Quad Core, 4 GB RAM.&&GTX 8800 in 1600x105 with FSX in windowed mode.&&CHProducts FighterStick and ProThrottle.&&TrackIR 4, Logitech G11 keyboard, G5 mouse.

IP Logged

cwr737

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Got it - thank goodness for FSUIPC where you can bind the multiple events. Thanks!

IP Logged

cwr737

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
So, is there a way to "unselect" the OBS?  I use a triple head to go and I can't see a way to turn off the OBS selection to do things like change the zoom level in the cockpit? 

Thanks for the help.

Colin in Portland

IP Logged

flarsen

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
cwr737 wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:19pm:
So, is there a way to "unselect" the OBS?  I use a triple head to go and I can't see a way to turn off the OBS selection to do things like change the zoom level in the cockpit? 

The only way I found that works is to press the "View (set to default - 1x)" control bound to backspace by default and then the adjust keys. Changing views also sometimes (always?) set window zoom as selected. If anyone know of another control that selects the view without reseting zoom to 1x, please tell.

FSX with Acceleration.&&Vista Business.&&Intel 2.4 GHz Quad Core, 4 GB RAM.&&GTX 8800 in 1600x105 with FSX in windowed mode.&&CHProducts FighterStick and ProThrottle.&&TrackIR 4, Logitech G11 keyboard, G5 mouse.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top