Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
For those of us with single core processors w/HT (Read 1761 times)
Ryan

For those of us with single core processors w/HT
Dec 6th, 2006 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Hey, Everyone

Im not sure if im allowed to post this but i came across this tweak for FS9 that really improved my FPS in the 757 Captain  and thought i'd share it. I originally came across the tweak here at http://home.wanadoo.nl/mike.dolle/Flightsimulatortweaks.htm

For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance booster:

After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)

Select Processes tab

Right click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity"

Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).

Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and select the other virtual processor.

I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course, assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your motherboard and BIOS settings.

An even better (permanent) way of constraining FS9 to run on a single virtual CPU on an HT CPU is using the Microsoft IMAGECFG utility (an older NT/2000 utility that works fine in XP -- do a google search). Command syntax (in a Command window):

IMAGECFG -a 0x1 <your FS directory>\fs9.exe

This writes a processor affinity mask into the executable. 0x1 specifies virtual CPU 0, 0x2 specifies vCPU 1, and 0x3 uses both 0 & 1 (default). FS will always run on the specified virtual CPU(s) from that point on.

I have done the same to the other utilities I run on the machine while FS is running, only restricting them to the opposite vCPU.

Note: to get maximum performance from this tweak i suggest you put all your other applications on CPU 1 and put FS9 strictly on CPU 0 or vice versa.

P.S to the moderators feel free to do as you please with this topic

Regards, Ryan

Dell Dimensions 8400&&Intel Pentium 4 (3.40GHz) w/HT&&2GB (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-4200&&512MB eVGA e-GeForce 7950GT KO Superclocked&&Creative Labs Sound Audigy 2 ZS&&400GB S-ATA HDD 7200RPM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top