Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH SEQUENCE (Read 25810 times)
SabreHawk

Re: how to launch shuttle in space ?
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Sigh...................from page 16 in the "Users Manual"

‘Space Shuttle’ FLIGHT MANUAL Part I – User’s Manual
DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT
© 2006 Captain Sim www.captainsim.com
PRE-SAVED FLIGHTS
Three flights are included in the ‘Space Shuttle’ package:
1. Entry (starts at altitude 400,000 feet, M=26)
2. TAEM (starts at altitude 82,000 feet, M=2.6)
3. Approach (starts at altitude 15,000 feet, 380KEAS)
We do not recommend re-saving of provided flights because you might loose some custom programmed
features.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Deathcoffin

ENGINES AND SOME QUESTIONS
Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
WHY MY ENGINES DO NOT BURN AT ALL? NO RESPONDS WHEN I MOVE MY THROTTLE. DONT TELL ME YOU MADE THIS SHUTTLE MORE LIKE A GLIDER THAN A FLYER I DID BE VERY PISSED AND DISSAPOINTED WITH MY FIRST EVER PRODUCT AND WHY DOES MY VC LOOK BLACK IN ALL THREE OF YOUR MISSIONS PROVIDED? BUG?Sad

IP Logged

SabreHawk

Re: ENGINES AND SOME QUESTIONS
Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
First off, the Shuttle IS a glider. It's main engines are only designed to get it to orbit, then once the fuel is used up it loses the tank and main engines wont operate, and BTW this should be common knowlege to you and anyone that doesnt live in a cave. Roll Eyes

As for the black panel, I have not seen this except in some customers reports in the "bug" section, which is where this question belongs BTW. Wink

Uhhh, and no need to shout, or cuss.

IP Logged

Deathcoffin

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Yes i know that it uses its 3 main engines coupled with 2 rockets to burst off into space but cant it even use its 2 small little ones to even take off from a runway? And by the way i dont live in a cave nor in the US but Asia so im not so much exposed to any spacecrafts hence my outcry and dont need to sound sarcastic. And thank you for breaking the news. Its a GLIDER OMG.

IP Logged

SabreHawk

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Ahhh, well Im sorry for being a bit judgemental there. I was feelin a bit off today, it's just been one of those days. So please accept my deepest appoligies. Embarrassed  If you dont mind my asking, where In Asia do you live? And also forgive me for not considering that possibility, again............it's been one of those days so I was short sighted in that respect. Wink Again, please forgive me. To make it up I'll try to help
you if I may.
No friend I dont think the OMS(Orbital manuvering system) engines are active in this first offering, nor are the main engines, it seems that only the re-entry phase of flight is possible. Besides the fact that even if they were they wouldnt be enough to fly it anyway as they are designed only to manuver the Shuttle in orbit With the exception of doing orbital operations in a limited way using the slew commands. FSX is in slew mode when you start the entry flight, as well as being paused, hence the "P" key being used to start things off.

I would suggest reading up in the three manuals availible from your start menu under "Captain Sim"
They are : Part I "Users Manual",  Part II "Systems", And part III "Flight Procedures"
There is also a real NASA manual located in the manuals folder within the main FSX folder in the Captain Sim folder. But it is not for use with the sim, but just there for the information on the real Shuttle, and is quite interesting. Cheesy

Ok, I gotta get some food in me now that im back home and feeling like a human again. Cool
See ya in orbit hopefully.................... Wink

IP Logged

Deathcoffin

Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Hey man no worries i understand how you feel. Have had one of those days too. But are you sure the shuttle cant take off like what a normal plane does? Those two little engines which are what you said for orbiter purposes might sound true but what about the three main engines? Just for that crazy burst up to space? Im quite sure that the shuttle could fly like what a normal plane does if im not wrong. Well i might be wrong i dunno. But i really think that CS should actually model the engines that actually work. Even by taking off from a runway even if its not highly realistic to do so but would be fun anyway with so much power to jet off from a runway and fly across the globe at least with that amount of speed.

To CS: I would hope that the engines are on the works and a patch for it incoming....maybe a launch phrase with that big fuel tank and 2 rockets that could be jettison midway?

Btw im from Singapore

IP Logged

eagle

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 11:16am
Print Post  
I thik the three main egines wont help the shuttle to take off, even if the CS made them working... they just dont have enough fuel , the orbiter takes fuel from this big orange tank and I think that it hasnt its own fuel tanks, except for OMS Wink

IP Logged

SabreHawk

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Yep, that's right. In fact the whole package cant get off the ground without the SRB's, the mains(fueled from the big orange tank) all burning together. Then releasing the SRB's as they burn out and continuing on the main engines on a nearly flat trajectory for some time to reach orbital velocity.

But then though, as Deathcoffin said, it would be cool to be able to fly it as a conventional aircraft, unrealistic as that would be it could be done because we are after all just running a simulaton that can be programed to do anything we want. Heh, just for the fun of it if nothing else. Tongue
Back in 2003, I took part in a thing called "Battle of the Airlines, Mission Moon" and in it we recieved an add-on model of the space shuttle which had two models with it, one with tank & boosters and one without. I could fly both like a conventional aircraft if I so desired and it was quite a sight to see the full package flying along, Orbiter,tank & boosters all together. And was fun to do just for the heck of it. Cool

IP Logged

Deathcoffin

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Man i think at this point i guess that i hope to see a launch phrase being worked on.

IP Logged

Deathcoffin

Reply #24 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Okie i have a question though its a little off topic but i will write here anyways. I fired up the "entry" mission and its in paused mode. So, i hit on P key to get things started. I then find my craft losing altitude and im wondering why? Is it the works of the autopilot? How do i not make my craft lose altitude because i wanna try to slew my craft around the world.

And sabrehawk much thanks for the email Smiley

IP Logged

SabreHawk

Reply #25 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hey you got it bro, I thought you'd like it. Wink Well, the reason we are falling is because at the point we are at the start of the entry flight the de-orbit burn has already taken place, and we are at about 120km high, and our speed has been reduced from orbital velocity.

My geuss is we'll have to slew the ship back up to around 300km, and slew forward to an orbital velocity of around 15,000nts.
I havent tried this mind you but im using info from my "other" simulator.
Let's see, uhhhh 300km coverted to feet is about 984,000ft, and as for speed we need about as I said 15,000nts. So try slewing up using the up command (Q) to 984,000ft, and then slew forward (keypad 8) to 15,000nts and see if that gets a stable orbit.

I'll try it tonite myself and see what happens, im kind of curious................ Roll Eyes

Hmmm, I looked in Wikipedia on this and here is what im seeing, some usefull info methinks.  :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_Orbit

IP Logged

eagle

Reply #26 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Forgive me beeing so unpateient, but can anyone answer my two short questions (I asked them before  in "report a bug" section below the ADI screenshot, so you may missed it Wink):
Im flying in good, old FS9 Wink
I assume, thet during approach I should change from the 'high" glideslope to "low", right? So I should only tune the correct frequency?
How do i control body flap? Swithing the switch in VC seems to do nothing, the indicator shows 0%, using my default trimm controls works like on every other aircraft, the body flap doesnt move Sad What do I wrong?

IP Logged

glcanon

Reply #27 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I had no problem lowering the bodyflap using the normal flap keys (F5 & F8).  However, although it's modeled, it's not realistic.  The Cmdr doesn't move the bodyflap around during launch or landing.   In real life I've observed the elevons automatically lowered just when the nosewheel touches down, and the speedbrake opens almost concurrently with mainwheel touchdown.  The rudder speedbrake is mostly controlled automatically in the real shuttle, although it can be controlled manually and certainly should be if there's a problem.  Your joystick throttle controls the rudder-speedbrake.  So, open throttle equates to faster velocity, thus a closed speedbrake.  And closed throttle equates to slower, thus, full open speedbrake. 

Can't imagine deathcoffin really so naive to think the shuttle glider needs working rocket engines on descent.  Why not also add a death-ray Moon beam?  If rocket thrust is what you want, download the freeware X-15.  It's a glider, but features a rocket engine, just as the real X-15 utilized.   Someone asked about the OMS engines, well, they fire briefly to drop the shuttle into a lower orbit which skims the edge of the atmosphere, thus creating just enough drag that the shuttle won't remain in orbit.  This OMS burn may only last a few seconds, depending on the shuttle's orbit, and might only be a brief 2000 lb thrust.  Trust me, this small thrust isn't even going to budge a shuttle sitting on a runway, much less keep it flying. 

There was once a Soviet shuttle-trainer which featured 4 jet engines, it could take off and land like any jet plane, but these 4 jet-fuel guzzling engines severly limited its range.  But again, this Soviet shuttle was just used for training (practice landings).  NASA pilots use a Gulfstream for the same job.

Why not give Microsoft's default sailplane rocket engines?  Wouldn't that also be way-coool?  Or how about making cruiseships have engines so they can take off from the ocean and go into space, like that Japanese space-battleship cartoon?  Get real people, non-sensical suggestions are as practical as space-faring jeeps or cruise-ships would be.

Wouldn't we rather Captainsim & Co. continue to improve the accuracy and realism of the existing sim - I say YES!  Absolutely.  It's already cool; "realistic" additions and/or improvements would make it even better.  I'm already experimenting with the aircraft config file to try to make it handle more accurately just prior to touchdown.  I'd like to see Captainsim do what another company does, find out from their users where inconsistancies are and fix these with periodic updates.  Lastly, someone asked Captainsim to release Moonraker skins.  If you want a Moonraker skin, make it yourself people.  Or pay someone to paint a skin for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top