Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Engine flameouts when landing (Read 2628 times)
vectorguy

Engine flameouts when landing
Jun 12th, 2006 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I hope someone can help me. Twice I have landed and immediately experienced a flameout on all four engines.  It seems that as soon as I touch down the engines flamed out.  I just can't figure out why.

IP Logged

tyrant

Re: Engine flameouts when landing
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Happened to me a couple of times, but purely because my nosewhell colapsed on landing, not that that should flame out the engines, but next time it happens check the outside view and see if you ploughing your nose down the tarmac.

Jason

IP Logged

vectorguy

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info but I didn't plow the nose wheel both times.  I went to the spot view and just watched the engines quit.

RON

IP Logged

RayMor

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 10:17am
Print Post  
It just happened to me with the J model, first time that happened.

Ray

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Can anyone confirm that issue please? We need some more statistics on that issue.
Please follow the 'bug reporting' rules: http://www.captainsim.net/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1141323668

As soon as we get at least 10 correct and detailed users reports posted in this topic, we will forward the reports to our development team.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

IP Logged

Chris Dittmar

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Actually, this has to do with your engine condition lever settings.  If you are using a throttle quad, and you have your engine RPM levers pulled back ANY length at all BELOW the RUN position, this can and WILL happen.

While in the air, you can adjust your feathering, etc. as needed, but the engine condition lever has to be completely forward at LEAST to the RUN position anytime you are on the ground or the engines will essentially cut off (ergo why it says "GROUND STOP").  I will go into the sim immediately and take a screenshot set to show you what I mean.

This is not just an issue with landing.  if you touch that lever at all below the RUN position while you are on the ground, your engines will die and you will have to restart them.  This is proper behavior.

I hope this helps.  Stand by as I will post screenshots showing exactly what I am referring to and how to properly have your controls set while the C-130 is in any operation in which it touches the ground.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Chris Dittmar

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 11:38am
Print Post  

K the levers in the red circles are what you are doing wrong.  You must make sure they are all the way FORWARD before landing, taking off or performing any ground operations.  At ALL times the C-130 is on the ground they must be full forward or your engines will cut off.  Note -- this is confirmed by the white lettering printed on the panel - "Ground Cutoff"

As one of my tests while taking these screenshots, I selected "ignore crashes" and purposefully plowed my nose intothe runway -- no cutoff.  Did another pattern run and did same with these levers puleld back JUST a touch -- immediate flameout.

Hope this helps, as this is NOT a bug -- it's the way she's supposed to act if you have the levers in "Ground Cutoff"

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!  if you have crash detection ON, this does not mean that having the levers forward will prevent flameout in case of definite crashes -- other conditions may cause this as well, but based on the descriptions above, you may want to monitor and make sure your condition levers are FULL FORWARD when landing.

FYI -- this is also a real world C-130 procedure as with all turboprops - civilian and military - as this gives you efficient RPMs to perform a quick go-around if needed.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Carter

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
FYI -- this is also a real world C-130 procedure as with all turboprops - civilian and military - as this gives you efficient RPMs to perform a quick go-around if needed.

Just quick clarification on that point. The C-130 is actually RPM governed automatically (based on turbine speed/load). The RUN detent is just that, RUN.

Your 'flameout' is from the Condition levers being pulled into the Ground Stop area, which, as Chris pointed out, doesn't matter in the air, but when you touch down, the ground contact switches (gear weight) activate the fuel cut and there you go. The only time you need to move the condition levers in the air is to either AIR START or FEATHER the engine.

IP Logged

Chris Dittmar

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Carter wrote on Jun 19th, 2006 at 6:24pm:
Quote:

Just quick clarification on that point. The C-130 is actually RPM governed automatically (based on turbine speed/load). The RUN detent is just that, RUN.
Your 'flameout' is from the Condition levers being pulled into the Ground Stop area, which, as Chris pointed out, doesn't matter in the air, but when you touch down, the ground contact switches (gear weight) activate the fuel cut and there you go. The only time you need to move the condition levers in the air is to either AIR START or FEATHER the engine.

Thank you, carter.  I guess I got so used to flying Majestic's Dash 8 LOL.  I just re-read my manual, and on page 31 it does explain just that -  Smiley

As per the manual:

Quote:
Four pedestal-mounted, condition levers are primarily controls for engine starting and stopping and propeller feathering and unfeathering.  They actuate both mechanical linkages and switches that provide electrical control.  Each lever has four placarded positions as follows:

1. RUN is a detent position.  At this position, the lever closes a switch that places engine fuel and ignition systems under control of the speed-sensative control.

2. AIR START is a position attained by holding the lever forward under spring tension.  in this position, the lever closes the same switch closed by placing the lever at RUN, and in addition closes a switch that causes the propeller feathering pump to operate.

3. GROUND STOP is a detent position.  in this position the lever actuates a switch that causes the electrical fuel shutoff valve on the engine fuel control to close only if the landing gear touchdown switches are closed.  The switch also closes the nacelle preheat control circuit making the system operable.

4. FEATHER is a detent position as well.  When the lever is pulled toward this position, mechanical linkages transmit the motion to the engine-mounted coordinator and from the coordinator to the propeller and the shutoff valve on the engine fuel control.  Switches are also actuated by the lever as it is pulled aft.  The results of moving the lever to FEATHER are the following:

a. The propeller receives a feather signal and mechanically and electrically energizes the feather solenoid valve.

b. The fuel shutoff valve on the engine fuel control is closed both mechanically and electricaly.

c. The propeller feathering pump is turned on

d. The nacelle preheat system remains operable only when the aircraft is on the ground (if installed).

My apologies for being wrong about the exact function.  Thanks for the correction, carter Smiley

The items in the quote above from the manual that are bold are the direct cause of your engine flameouts on touchdown via these levers.  Hope this helps as well in addition.  Wink

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top