Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Compatibility of Herc to new platform/s (Read 1936 times)
Ziggy

Compatibility of Herc to new platform/s
Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Perhaps I'm over reacting, but I'm concerned about the compatibility of CS's existing aircraft models with Microsoft's new flight simulation program due to be released later this year, "FS X". I remember that I was reluctant to convert from FS 2002 when FS 9 was released, so I imagine that FS X will offer similar "must have" features that made FS 9 the foundation for today’s add-on industry. Microsoft hasn't said much about their new program except that it will provide "the gaming benchmark" for their new OS "Vista". Judging from their screenshots (attached) I must confess that I'm impressed with the detail of their new scenery. Currently my FS 9 program exceeds 20 GB, a significant portion of which is add-on scenery. My current aggravation is adjusting settings and load times whenever I chose to fly in one of these add-on environments. I suspect FS X would alleviate that problem, I'm just concerned about my Herc ( and my 707 and 727). I rather think/hope that CS is on top of both Microsoft’s “Vista” and “FS X” developments? --- Ziggy

IP Logged

Brandon_S

Re: Compatibility of Herc to new platform/s
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
from what ive heard, FSX is reverseable with addons, meaning that FS2002 addons work in FS2004, and FS2004 addons will work in FSX (altho im sure with big planes like this C130, with multiple systems) that some tweaking MAY be required by CS

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Brandon_S wrote on Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:19pm:
from what ive heard, FSX is reverseable with addons, meaning that FS2002 addons work in FS2004, and FS2004 addons will work in FSX (altho im sure with big planes like this C130, with multiple systems) that some tweaking MAY be required by CS

As an ardent participant of CS's screenshot contest yourself, I know we share an interest in the  aesthetic realism of our flight environment. I hope you're right that the Herc will be compatible with FSX as I seriously doubt I'll want to play in FS 2K4 sandbox after I'm exposed to FSX. Anybody you know that still loads up FS 2002 just to fly the T39? Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft would enter into a licensing agreement with CS to include the Herc as an integral component of their FSX package? Wishful thinking and probably a bad idea as MS would probably screw it up by eliminating all those wonderful "bells and whistles".--- Ziggy

IP Logged

Carter

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Ziggy wrote on Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:46pm:
Anybody you know that still loads up FS 2002 just to fly the T39? --- Ziggy 

If they would sell it to me, I would.

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Touche! I was trying to make a point, bad example.  I have heard the aircraft was one of CS's finer moments. --- Ziggy

IP Logged

Brandon_S

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:46am
Print Post  
ah yes Ziggy, right you are

But Im confident itll be backwards compatible as fs2002/4 are, and even then while it may work, some features may not work right and will need a patch no doubt from CS for it to function 100%

even if it isnt 100% compatible at first,  wont stop me from taking a gig worth of screenshots!  Grin

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Ex C-130 Aircraft Engineer

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Haas anyone installed the C-130 into FS2002? I know that effects won't work but I have so many add-ons fro FS2K that I would love to intigrate the Herc into it.

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
David Sweetman wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:31pm:
Haas anyone installed the C-130 into FS2002? I know that effects won't work but I have so many add-ons fro FS2K that I would love to intigrate the Herc into it.

Dax, that's a question that's best deferred to CS. Personally I rather doubt it. CS's 727 works in FS 2K, but it's advertised as such, the Herc isn't. When I first got FS2K4 I tried to move MS's new Learjet into FS 2K and couldn't get it to work. Conversely, I was able to move the Cessna 182 RG from 2K into 2K4 and that works fine. That tells me there is an element of compatibility going from old to new ( backward compliance). Hopefully Brandon is right on this, but if not I'll just hang onto FS 9 until CS sorts it all out. Assuming of course that disc #4 of FS 9 doesn't wear out on me first.
Grin--- Ziggy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top