Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 C-130J (Read 7551 times)
Guns210

C-130J
Dec 7th, 2005 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Maybe what CS should do is hold off on the release of the C-130J and release one of the other ones, because quite frankly, what is the fun of flying a "J" if all it is is a 6 bladed "E".  Being a fighter pilot, I am woefully uninformed about the differences in specs, but it would make sense that it would be faster, more fuel efficient, and have a higher service ceiling.  Maybe one of the many "trash haulers"  Wink on this site can inform this tired old fighter puke on the specs. Cool

I realize that FS 2004 is just a game, but would we fly a 747-400 without the glass cockpit?  Or an F-14 with the default Cessna cockpit?  I know I wouldn't because the flight experience just wouldn't be the same.  The fantasy would be gone.  Most of us who use the simulator want, at least, a reasonable facsimile of the real deal, especially if we are asked to shell out money for it.

What CS could do instead is this:  Totally rebuild the Herc from the ground up as a "J", complete with a glass cockpit and updated specs and release it as a seperate download, independant of the other Herc's.  We would probably have to pay over 50 bucks for it, but to me it would be worth it.

I give high praise to the CS team for developing such high quality downloads.  I own and fly them all.  I hope that they don't think me ungrateful, because I am not. 

I open the floor for feedback (good or bad, agree or disagree)

What do you guys think?

J.R.
Captain, USN Ret.
4000+ hours in the F-14

MiG-21&&707&&727 &&757&&767&&C-130

IP Logged

Aaron6256

Re: C-130J
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I totally agree with Guns. I've never worked on a J but what I know is that it is a completely different aircraft.  I see no point in paying for an E-model with 6 bladed props. I know that the engines are substantially better. I know that the J can perform a takeoff without jato bottles and make it look like it just did jato. I don't know any specifics of the performance. I do know that it's a huge difference. I feel that captain sim should have stated in their poll that the only thing j-model, would be the exterior. Does anyone remember the freeware j-model panel for one of Adrian Brauch's herc's? I'm sure it can be done. It probably will take longer to produce. I think Captain Sim should put this one on hold or make another poll. CS please do not delete my post again. I noticed you deleted a couple of posts out of the price tag forum. I'm sorry if I offended you, but you should take in to consideration what your customers are saying.  You guys produce amazing products. I love the C-130 and the 727. If you are going to charge 10% of the cost of the C-130 you could at least work with us a little. Just to re-iterate what I'm saying. Let's put the J on hold and see some of the other models. That's just my $.02 .

Former KC-130 Airframes mechanic&&T-44 Airfames & Powerplants mechanic.

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I agree. If everything that is going to be changed is the exterior, I would rather buy a model that is somewhat similar in panel layout and performance to the C-130E. Smiley

I guess that's nothing much we can do about it though... they have a poll open and the official announcement has been made. Well, I just have a feeling that Captain Sim won't let us down! Wink

IP Logged

hondaguru

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:09am
Print Post  
I too agree with the argument.  The C-130J shouldnt have even been offered as an update for this because it truley is a completly different aircraft.  It in no way looks, handles, or is the same as a base E model 130.

USAF&&HC-130P Dedicated Crew Cheif, and Flying Crew Cheif&&&&&&

IP Logged

india

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Wink WinkIt would be interesting to create a separate model of the c-130j with the single panel 2d I would even pay gladly also 20$.  survey would be right to make you as other times you have made for the customer of your beautiful products

IP Logged

SteveK

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim,

I would also like to say that I would be inclined to agree with Guns about this issue. I must admit that I never realised just how much different the C-130J was compared to the older C-130E model.

I have been flying your C-130 for a while now, and it is great, but I would prefer to hold off untill maybe a little more can be done to more accuratley create the C-130J, even if it means I will need to spend more that $9 on it.  Wink

So far, I am well happy with the existing C-130, and will continue to have fun flying it, as long as it is not too long to wait for a completely new C-130J.

Like you said Captain Sim, I will definately be keeping tabs on this forum for news regarding this issue. Lets hope we see a C-130J with specific flight dynamics and the correct cockpit soon... Wink

Cheers,

Steve Knight

IP Logged

skeating

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I agree completely.
There are so many other variants that could be produced using the basic airframe that it doesn't make sense to put everything else on hold to produce what would only be a mongrel.

Steve Keating

IP Logged

McAviator

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I would agree.....if the 'J' is pretty much just a six bladed 're-paint', I wouldn't have voted for it to be the next release, and think a 'J' should be considered as a whole new aircraft package, if at all.

I LOVE this C-130 as is, no matter what comes later!!!

IP Logged

ASAE04

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 4:32am
Print Post  
guns210 has a valid point and I want to raise this issue again

I have the C-130pro package and I think it's terrific. However, I am hesitant in going for the "J" model upgrade. I agree and feel the "J" should be consideded as a new product. The avionics as well as performace issues should be addressed and the whole aircraft redesigned from scratch. The "J" is a completely different aircraft than earlier versions. I also, would be willing to spend the extra bucks for a new remodeled J, not just an upgraded E with new exterior textures.

IP Logged

seehunt

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 5:31am
Print Post  
I to will not buy the J.  The previous posts have said it all.  When it's a j throughout, then i'll buy.

IP Logged

Jester

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Yes I completely agree with all u guys!
I already bought it, and there are some same caracteristics that I already found in the "E" model meanwhile in the "J" model are completely different!
1. Cockpit! "J" has MFD and not the old "E" panel.  Sad
2. Exterior completely COOL, AWESOME totally "J" model  Cool
3. Engines, are those real powerplant? I cannot even do an AAR with Lago KC/VC-10 (and the a/c flies about 315kt, while I have    
   to  go below 80kt going to complete stall without refuelling).   Huh

Regards&&Manuel Rogari&&Pilot vTNT, vFEDEX, USAFvG, vUSN
IP Logged

Guns210

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I have to admit that I broke down and bought the expansion anyways.  The Devil made me do it Tongue  I really didn't want to.  I have never been able to resist my daughter, and she really wanted it Wink.  She has been ripping up the skies with it.

I told her that she would really earn my respect if she could land it on an aircraft carrier, and by God she made a near perfect attempt at it, but she landed fast and went cartwheeling into oblivion, right into the cold waters of the Pacific. Grin

It is very pretty to look at from the outside, however I still believe it would have been better to make it a seperate entity, right down to the glass cockpit.
Maybe if we pester CS enough they will provide us with a panel upgrade.

We can only hope, I guess Undecided

J.R.
Captain, USN Ret.

MiG-21&&707&&727 &&757&&767&&C-130

IP Logged

J Vitaliano

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I would have to agree with everyone here Captain Sim.  I bought the expansion pack thinking it was going to have the performance of the J-model and was severly mistaken.  As an active duty USAF C-130 Flight Engineer I have very current knowledge on how the C-130 should perform; this one doesn't even come close.  To be perfectly honest I would hold offf on making the J-model until after you get the current model fixed.  The aircraft yaws a great deal more than the real aircraft, the cruise speed is too slow, the fuel flow and fuel burn is not at all realistic and unfortunately the engine indicators don't indicate what C-130 would indicate at max power. 

The C-130 power is measured with TIT and torque...I gurantee you take any C-130 out to Goose Bay, Canada in the winter and throw those throttles up to max power and your likely to rip the engines off the wing.  The torques should going screaming past 19,600 inch-lbs and upwards of 25,000 inch-lbs or more (don't know exactly since it's strictly forbidden in real-world).

As for fuel burn yeah not even close..you should be burning anywhere from 4,500 to 6,200 lbs of fuel per hour at cruise depending on altitude.  The lower you go the more fuel you burn; low level yeah your burning higher than 6,000 lbs an hour.

But honestly from a real-world Herk driver take the time to perfect this beauty before you move on to another totally different beast because the J-model mine as well be another aircraft it's definately not the same thing.

If you guys need technical advice contact me, I've volunteered before but never got utilized for what you seem to need.  Take care all!

JASON VITALIANO, vBGen, vUSAF&&Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC)&&Commander&&www.vusaf.org&&&&;&&&&Captain Sim Legendary Herk BETA Tester
IP Logged

SteveK

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Captain Sim, I think you should listen to what Jason has to say here. He is a real world C-130 Driver and seems to know what he is talking about.

Maybe you should take his advise and use him for some info that he may be willing to give to you regarding performance and proper specs. Here is someone who is voluntering to help you, I would take him up on his offer.

Jason, I would give almost anything to be in your job. I love Herks and have always loved them ever since I saw 1 for the first time. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family mate.  Wink

Cheers,

Steve Knight
BAW0703

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Thank you all for input and kind comments.

As you all know, in real world even one modification of the C-130 model can have many different cockpit layouts and equipment sets. So talking about 10 different models (J, T, A etc) we are looking at hundreds different cockpit layouts and equipment sets.
Assuming one good 2D and VC package development takes about an year... see?

As for  comments concerning accuracy, please read: http://www.captainsim.net/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1132944896

Happy holidays to all  Smiley !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top