Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Navigation? (Read 3229 times)
pbrad

Navigation?
Nov 24th, 2005 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I am trying to fly a DME arc. I have my NAV1 set to the ILS freq. and my NAV2 on the VOR/DME. So how do I get the DME equipment to read from the NAV2 instead of the NAV1 radio?

And I still don't have instrument back lighting on the 2D panel, only the panel itself Cry. I have v1.1

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

pbrad

Re: Navigation?
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Wow! I guess no one knows. I guess the Cpt. Sim guy doesnt know either, unless they dont check their own forums.

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I think the NAV2 DME equip is slated for a SP2 release....thought I read this before.  As far your ARC....your gonna have to do it the old fashioned way  Smiley switch the freq right after you pass your lead in radial.....I've already done it on another approach...isn't to bad.  Happy landings  Wink

Brian Thibodeaux
T546/T700 Propulsion Journeyman
C-130E/H2 Flt Eng

IP Logged

Psycho762

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Well that's possible without a FMC IF you (and me) could find the DME distance on one of the gauges. I confess i haven't read the whole manual. First the lead in  to enter the arc set the OBS to an on course condition. Keep the tip of the wing 90 degrees to the NDB of VOR station. If the VOR-OBS is fully deflected bank 20 degrees to the station (on the arc) and set the OBS CDI needle to fully deflected to the OTHER side. Keep on flying till the needle is fully deflected agin en repeat the procedure until your on the lead out radial. It can be done, but it's necessary to check the distance to the station because most DME-arc's require a certain distance to the station.

Psycho762

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Actually...your theory is a bit flawed...all ARC's require a certain DME from the station...otherwise it wouldn't look like a arc  Wink

There are a whole munch of techniques to flying a arc...I won't get into mine, it has worked out since I've started flying IFR a few years back.  But I'll give out a couple hints....
1. Maintain a constant airspeed until your at the lead radial and turning inbound
2. Be very proactive about maintaining the proper DME...don't let it slip and figure its only a little bit of a fudge factor...ARC's can get very complicated very fast.
3. Enter the ARC at the proper distance... .5-1 mile out should be good enough to start your turn onto the arc with about any aircraft.

Have fun  Smiley

Brian Thibodeaux
C-130E/H2 Flt Eng

IP Logged

Psycho762

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Point taken Wink I don't have an IR rating.
But where do i/we find the DME distance reading in this sim to practice a DME-Arc?
Please no RTFM replies Roll Eyes

Psycho 762

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
You can find your distance readout for Nav 1 at the top left-hand side of the HSI, below it I below its reads MILES....pretty sure thats what is says under it....for Nav2 there is no DME readout....if you want to do a ARC utilizing the Nav 2, you'll have to use the RMI, and have the GPS window open...plug in the IDENT for the navaid and use the GPS as your DME instrument....only other way I know how.

Hope that helps...

Brian Thibodeaux 
C-130E/H2 Flt Eng

IP Logged

Snave

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Psycho762 wrote on Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:21pm:
Point taken Wink I don't have an IR rating.
But where do i/we find the DME distance reading in this sim to practice a DME-Arc?
Please no RTFM replies Roll Eyes

Psycho 762

Sorry, but whats wrong with RTFM? Do you think you're above it or something?

You're not, use GPS and DM 1 and you will be able to do it. Just don't ask us to tell you how, it's insulting.

Simon Evans

IP Logged

Spiros Hazapis

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Hello,

It is actually a bit more complicated in the real aircraft.
DME in the Hercules (at least the ones HAF flies) is obtained by tuning the TACAN (TACtical Air Navigation) transceiver to the channel that corresponds to the VOR/ILS frequency we need. So, you can have VOR1 set to VOR ABC and get the DME from VOR XYZ. To complicate things more, DME on the pilot side will always be driven by TACAN#1 and on the CP side by TACAN#2. There is no way to get a "cross side" DME. NAV gets both on a dedicated DME display.

You should be able to fly the arc with VOR1 set to the VOR and switch to the ILS freq as soon as you cross the lead radial as already suggested before.
Regards,

Spiros Hazapis
Athens, Greece

Spiros Hazapis&&Athens, Greece&&&&C130 H/B AC, Hellenic Air Force

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top