Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Just can't figure out how to start this engines. (Read 2981 times)
brennerad

Just can't figure out how to start this engines.
Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Hello, here's what's happening.
I turn the battery ON
Open GTC door
GTC main switch START
GTC green light goes ON
I set the ATM to ON
I set Bleed Air Valve switch to ON
ATM generator switch to ON (Voltage indication OK on AC VOLTIMETER
I set all engines bleeds to ON
I set both wing isolation to NORMAL
I set Copilot AC instrument power switch at 12'oclock position
I set AC instruments and engine fuel control power switch at 11'oclock position (red lights out)
DC bus tie switch : Guard UP and turn it to the right.
I set all fuel pumps to ON.
I press the engine one start switch...and nothing happens.
What am i missing?
Captain Sim, can you please post some sequencial screen shots of the complete start procedure available? It's simple to do and will help us very much.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Aaron6256

Re: Just can't figure out how to start this engine
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Are you pushing ctrl+shift+f4 before you hit the start button? That was a problem I had when I first bought the plane.

Former KC-130 Airframes mechanic&&T-44 Airfames & Powerplants mechanic.

IP Logged

hondaguru

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Put the engine condition levers to the air start position. 

Also, you should not turn on the ATM untill #3 engine is started.  This puts alot of load on the GTC to start the engines.  Standard procedure for starting engines is to turn on the ATM after #3 is on and the engine driven generator is checked and online.

Another thing is you do not need to turn on the main tank boost pumps, or even open the crossfeed valves, because each engine will gravity feed from its own main tank.  I.E. #1 engine will gravity feed fro the #1 main tank.

Hope that helps!

USAF&&HC-130P Dedicated Crew Cheif, and Flying Crew Cheif&&&&&&

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Heres something else you can try, I had the same issue and have it on occasion.  But try putting the Oil Cooler Flap switchs in the Auto Position (Down).  You can find those switchs below the Fuel Panel on the right hand side.  Its the only thing I did differently earlier today.

Although, hondaguru is correct about not starting the ATM after the #3 engine is started due to Bleed Air draw, it is not necessary to have it off...in fact without have External Power the ATM is our means of getting Power to the Essential AC Bus during startup.  Also given that FS probably can't distinguish total Bleed Air pressure and its usage, that probably isn't your problem.

Hondaguru, you are however incorrect about the Air Start position.  For one it is spring loaded to the Run position, even in FS so you can engage that and the starter button at the same time...just impossible.  But secondly the Air Start position doesn't open the Starter Control Valve which allows Bleed Air to get to the engine starter, so it wouldn't make a difference for starting the engine on the ground.  What the Air Start position to clear this up is simply change the pitch of the blade (Utilizing the Aux Feather Motor) to allow the prop to "unfeather" in flight.  This allows the engine to go through its normal startup procedure without the use of the engine starter.  The only times anyone should consider using the Air Start position are as follows: Starting a Engine in Flight, Static Feather Check on the ground, Servicing the Prop with Hyd Fluid and any time you want to check the Aux Feather Motor to be operational....is that clear as mud to everyone  Smiley ?  Leave a post here if not, this isn't the first time I've read someone mis-interpret the Air Start Position...and if anyone wants anymore system knowledge I'm sure there are enough of us guys that fly or work around them that have a full working knowledge of the herk.

Brian Thibodeaux
T56/T700 Propulsion Journeyman
C-130E/H2 Flt Eng

IP Logged

hondaguru

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 6:24am
Print Post  
You are completly correct.  I had a major brain fart there.  I ment the run postition.  Wow sorry about that. 

I am actually fully engine run qualified on the 130 and when you said that I started to laugh at myself. 

Man I feel dumb.  Beer on a Saturday night does that to ya I guess!

Anyway you are also correct about the ATM.  I forgot about the external power problem with the sim.  And you are correct about the sim not being entirely perfect and not putting a huge load on the GTC. 

I guess this thing cant be perfect, still a great product and nicely done if you ask me.

USAF&&HC-130P Dedicated Crew Cheif, and Flying Crew Cheif&&&&&&

IP Logged

loadman

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Your start sequence looks OK but make sure of the following; Engine condition levers to on,select bleed air to the engine you are starting,make sure the generator switch to the engine you are starting is in the 12.00 o'clock position and light is ON,ensure ATM is on and powered up.You don't need fuel pumps on yet, as pointed out already they are gravity fed.Make sure the Ground power switch is not ON.
John

IP Logged

brennerad

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Thanks for all your help friends. I can`t explain why, but now the engines are starting. Folowing the sequency i described. I noticed that i tryed to start and it was not possible. Then, i restarted flight simulator and the engines started. Maybe a bug or a problem with my flight sim.

IP Logged

Brad

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:11am
Print Post  

That's all engineer gobbablygook.   Grin

Just be like me.. sit in the right sit ... and hack the clock when the guy on the left says, "Turning #3"

Your local co-pilot,

Brad

IP Logged

skydvdan

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Brad wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:11am:
That's all engineer gobbablygook.   Grin

Just be like me.. sit in the right sit ... and hack the clock when the guy on the left says, "Turning #3"

Your local co-pilot,

Brad

You might want to learn some of that "gobbablygook" if you plan on upgrading to the left seat anytime soon. Wink

Dan Relfe&&Former EC-130E/H Flight Engineer&&USAF&&
IP Logged

Brad

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 5:11am
Print Post  
skydvdan wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:10pm:
Brad wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:11am:
That's all engineer gobbablygook.   Grin

Your local co-pilot,

Brad

You might want to learn some of that "gobbablygook" if you plan on upgrading to the left seat anytime soon. Wink

Way ahead of you ... I'm just messing around. Smiley  Hope to be LSCP shortly after new year.. then onto FP.. weeeeeeeeeeeee

IP Logged

skydvdan

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Cool, good luck and stay in the books! Cool

Dan Relfe&&Former EC-130E/H Flight Engineer&&USAF&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top