CAPTAIN SIM FORUM
General >> Hangar talks >> Are these specs....
https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1322524835

Message started by Spendy on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:00am

Title: Are these specs....
Post by Spendy on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:00am
Hello,  I am building my first computer and I am pretty big into FSX and I wanted to know if these specs / components would be good enough for FSX:

Processor:
1 x AMD FX-6100 6 Core 3.3/3.9GHz

Cooling:
1 x Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
1 x Gigabyte 970A-D3

Memory:
1 x 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card:
1 x ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

Power Supply
1 x Xigmatek 600W

Hard Drive:
1 x 1TB (1000GB)

I am not a dunce at computers I just want a second opinion from people who know FSX well.

Thanks,

           Spendy

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by CoolP on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:10am
My experience is that Intel CPUs tend to run FSX better than the AMD ones. So I think your set is a very nice one for overall gaming, but FSX would be better off with an Intel CPU and only 4 cores than those 6 ones from AMD. It doesn't take much advantage out of the additional cores as 4 are more than enough to run it.

Take an Intel 'K' CPU which can easily be overclocked and keep the rest of the system. This should be a nice setup.  :)

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by Spendy on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:25am

CoolP wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:10am:
My experience is that Intel CPUs tend to run FSX better than the AMD ones. So I think your set is a very nice one for overall gaming, but FSX would be better off with an Intel CPU and only 4 cores than those 6 ones from AMD. It doesn't take much advantage out of the additional cores as 4 are more than enough to run it.

Take an Intel 'K' CPU which can easily be overclocked and keep the rest of the system. This should be a nice setup.  :)


Yeah, my max budget is 650£ 750€ and I got the specs on vibox.co.uk so I don't think the do the Intel 'k' processor's but they do have i5 & i7.  Would you know of any websites that you can order the parts from??

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by CoolP on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:32am
The problem with the non K ones is that they are fixed. They only overclock via their turbo feature which is very limited when it comes to the 'real overclocking' the Ks can do. So, if you can cut back on other stuff to get a strong CPU (FSX is very CPU dependant), it may be the best solution.

The AMD stuff is really good and in other games the 6 cores may help there, but FSX is an old architecture, eating up even overclocked 4 gigahertz and more CPUs. So if you can get 4.5 or so with a K model, you should be very ok.

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by boeing247 on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:35am
I have a four-core, eight-thread i7. I'm not sure how much that helps, but maybe look into something like that? (wait until CoolP verifies that it would help, though. He knows more than I about that)

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by CoolP on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:39am
That would be a good choice. An i7 you have there. The Hyperthreading doesn't help much on FSX, but leaving it enabled also doesn't slow down things in my eyes. So that's four fast Intel cores there, very nice for FSX.

Maybe it helps to see it that way. The raw per-core-power on the Intel CPUs is higher than on the AMD ones. So while the additional two of the AMD CPU help to counteract this downside in other games, it doesn't in FSX. You can't have enough CPU per-core power in that game.  :-/

Maybe X-Plane 10 or a future Flight or Prepar3d can help on the multicore stuff and the advantages of some extra two.

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by Spendy on Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:55am
Would it be in my price range though of 750€?? If you have any websites that you can buy all these from it would be helpful

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by CoolP on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:05am
The i5 2500K should do it. Here's a shop overview. http://computers.pricegrabber.co.uk/processors-retail-box/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-GHz-6-MB/m849197755.html

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by Spendy on Dec 16th, 2011 at 5:31pm

CoolP wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:05am:
The i5 2500K should do it. Here's a shop overview.



I got some extra money and am now able to get these specs....

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz LGA1155 8MB 95W

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz PCI-Express HDMI (DirectCU II TOP)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP  

PSU: Corsair Memory 800W Gaming Series GS800 High Performance 80 PLUS® Certified PSU

HDD: Western Digital, Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" Internal Hard drive

SSD: Kingston 64GB SSDNOW V200 SATA 3 2.5IN DESKTOP BUNDLE KIT

CASE: NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower Case - White

Think they are able to run FSX well?? lol

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by CoolP on Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Easy.  8-) So you've robbed a bank?  :P

Title: Re: Are these specs....
Post by Spendy on Dec 17th, 2011 at 4:43pm

CoolP wrote on Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:02pm:
Easy.  8-) So you've robbed a bank?  :P


Hahaha.  Na I just decided I will put more money in.  Better than waiting till next year and buying the i7 then

CAPTAIN SIM FORUM » Powered by YaBB 2.6.0!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2026. All Rights Reserved.