CAPTAIN SIM FORUM
General >> Hangar talks >> AI traffic
https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1312936647

Message started by boeing247 on Aug 10th, 2011 at 12:37am

Title: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 10th, 2011 at 12:37am
Sorry about asking this question here, but it should be pretty quick and I didn't know where else to ask it (the WoAI forums are just for news and announcements--they don't appear to have a support forum). Anyway, I just downloaded some AI packs today, and I see that they fill up the entire airport. This is realistic, but it's killing my frame rates. Does anybody know how to decrease the airplane count? (The AI sliders have no effect)

Thanks,
boeing247

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Markoz on Aug 10th, 2011 at 4:09am
Because I use only the default AI at the moment, I'm just guessing here.
1) Is there any kind of documentation for the AI add-ons you installed? Maybe the other answer is there.
2) Check in the Menu (ALT) > Add-ons and see if there is something listed there that allows you to modify it.

Mark

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 10th, 2011 at 4:13am
There's no documentation whatsoever. Do you by any chance know how to edit traffic within the simulator? (the particular files)

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Markoz on Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:14am

boeing247 wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 4:13am:
There's no documentation whatsoever. Do you by any chance know how to edit traffic within the simulator? (the particular files)

You could try adding this line in the dll.xml file (same location as the fsx.cfg file):

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

Read the information in the Traffic Toolbox section of the fsxsdk help file. Too much stuff to put in here to show you the goodies you get with the Traffic Toolbox! It might help. I won't guarantee that it will (I'm covering my six ;)).

Mark

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by CoolP on Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:51am
Mark, for Australia and New Zealand, Orbx just released their latest AI package for free. It's version 3.20 and offers a ton of new liveries. So if you are using default traffic, this will add nicely.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Markoz on Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:44am

CoolP wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:51am:
Mark, for Australia and New Zealand, Orbx just released their latest AI package for free. It's version 3.20 and offers a ton of new liveries. So if you are using default traffic, this will add nicely.

I still have an earlier version of theirs. Version 2.0.  ;D
Not currently installed.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 10th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Thanks, Mark! I'll fiddle around with that.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 10th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Actually, it looks like the sliders do work, but they're not as sensitive as the default, it seems, so I wasn't noticing anything.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 13th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Whenever I start up FSX, my frame rates slowly but steadily decrease. Could this be related to the World of AI traffic? I think the planes have less polygons, but the traffic is designed for FS2004.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by CoolP on Aug 14th, 2011 at 12:12am
Some 2004 stuff can be a real fps pain in fsx, but from reading I think WoAI works fine.
Can you lower the density there to spot it's actual impact?

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 14th, 2011 at 12:45am
I have lowered the density. It improved the frame rates, but the odd thing is they drop. I'll start out with frame rates of around 15 (which is lower than usual), then they'll slowly drop. It's weird.  :-/

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 14th, 2011 at 5:21pm
I've been doing some reading online and I'll probably buy a payware traffic package. Before I do that, though, I was wondering about this Ultimate Traffic package I saw (version I, not II). It says it's discontinued but you can still download it. Does that mean it's been released a freeware?

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by John007 on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:07am
I dont know but if so im getting it ;D

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Markoz on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:19am
161MB for UT 1 (the demo for UT 2 is bigger than that) as compared to 1.64G for UT 2.

I know which one I would get. THE BIG ONE! :D ;D

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by John007 on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:24am

Markoz wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:19am:
161MB for UT 1 (the demo for UT 2 is bigger than that) as compared to 1.64G for UT 2.

I know which one I would get. THE BIG ONE! :D ;D

yeah but im kinda low on money right now :-/
Ill just have to wait :D

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by John007 on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:31am
http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfx
Here it a lower end traffic package if anyone wants ;) its only defult fsx aircraft so :-/ but its kinda cool

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:42am

Markoz wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:19am:
161MB for UT 1 (the demo for UT 2 is bigger than that) as compared to 1.64G for UT 2.

I know which one I would get. THE BIG ONE! :D ;D

But do you know if UT 1 has been released as freeware?

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by CoolP on Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:02pm

John007 wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:31am:
http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfx
Here it a lower end traffic package if anyone wants ;) its only defult fsx aircraft so :-/ but its kinda cool

John, don't mix that up since this link leads to a soft where you can generate your own traffic if you e. g. find some lonely places in the sim and then program some sort of flight plans for the AI.

If one is up to a payware traffic program, I can recommend UT2. I've had some other payware before and this one gives me the best models and also the smallest impact on the frames, while the tools coming with it are detailed enough to adjust it for smaller systems too.
Since there's a 30 day money back policy too, you can test it.

You will always see a fps impact with AI, but the good payware models and logics minimize it to levels even lower than the default AI while increasing the density at the same time.
But it's always a tradeoff situation since the models have to be rendered and e. g. eat up some memory for their (optimized) details and textures. So be aware that huge airports with 60 airliners (which is a low number) and more being parked really will eat some resources.

boeing247, the "growing" of AI and its impact isn't too uncommon since FSX builds this stuff after the initial loading of the flight. I'd say that you would have to limit the AI some more since maybe some of your hardware seems to run into its limit there.
You are very limited in the tools for setting up AI with the FSX default sliders. You can only set the density there, not the real numbers.

So while e. g. a low density at KJFK would still render tons of planes, you might feel lost at smaller places. UT2 adds another option there to limit the overall amount of planes, while maintaining a certain density.
There also is an option to automatically reduce AI when a certain fps number is reached. But I've never tried that option, so I couldn't tell if it works good.
And be aware that WoAI already is known as a good AI package (I've never used it though), so maybe the UT2 stuff doesn't enhance your experience too much, that's where the money back thingy may come in handy.
But I'm very happy with UT2 and their service and tools. You just have to buy the base package, no extra flight plans (they offer current ones at extra costs) needed if you just want to have 2010 or so traffic plans.


Quote:
But do you know if UT 1 has been released as freeware?

No, it's payware but I wouldn't recommend it with UT2 in mind, which is the current product. http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utrafficfsx
But, boeing247, keep in mind that your graphic card maybe won't be too happy about any increase in FSX detail there, regardless of the quality of the AI package.
So maybe consider a hw upgrade there first before the software gets even heavier for that card. AI adds load to the system.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Sonoace on Aug 15th, 2011 at 9:26pm
Does anybody knows how to change FSX flight plans to FS2004?  I have Almost all of the ai traffic plans, and it will be easier to change CS Weapons traffic than all of the WOAI stuff.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:40am

CoolP wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:02pm:
[quote author=john007 link=1312936647/15#15 date=1313382678]
But, boeing247, keep in mind that your graphic card maybe won't be too happy about any increase in FSX detail there, regardless of the quality of the AI package.
So maybe consider a hw upgrade there first before the software gets even heavier for that card. AI adds load to the system.


I just bought the new computer about two months ago, so I really don't want to now buy a $200 graphics card. Is there any way I can put real airline traffic (I don't want a lot, but I really don't like the default traffic) into FSX without a noticeable fps hit? There has to be some way, because my frame rates were never affected very heavily by default traffic, and the default traffic has more polygons than typical traffic packages.

Also, I removed WoAI for the moment, but my default traffic have not come back (world of AI cancels out the default). How do I get them back? (I know I said I don't like them, but it beats flying alone.)  :-/

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Edwin on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 6:53am
You just bought nearly the same pc I have bought last week, only a little lower videocard and a bit older CPU.

You will be handling AI traffic fine. I use mytraffic X latest version and on payware airports like ELLX i get around 25/30 FPS with alot of traffic and all stats on very high to max.

Still note that you don't need a big graphic card for FSX, you need a good CPU.


Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:23am
That's what I've heard. My CPU is pretty good, so you're probably right. It's actually mostly clouds that kill my performance.

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by Sonoace on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 6:08pm
Well, the WOAI forums do help. I have the 2 founders helping me right now. At the moment I have Ultimate traffic 2, which is not really good. I like WOAI because it fills up my airports. UT2 doesn't. At Heathrow, there's barely any traffic. WOAI is great, and the sliders do have an effect. I have UT2 because the WOAI is not working right now on my good computer, and I had this from a while ago. Can anybody help with me though? I have an error message and it never works no matter what. help please!

Title: Re: AI traffic
Post by boeing247 on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:25pm
I liked World of AI a lot, but it kept making my fps slowly go down. Did you ever find a way to fix this?  :-/

CAPTAIN SIM FORUM » Powered by YaBB 2.6.0!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2026. All Rights Reserved.